All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Airush 2012 New Sectors -- 54, 60, and 66cm V3
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:01 pm 
Frequent Poster

windfreak74 wrote:
Im 71 kilos and im undecided on buying a specific light wind or spend the same amount of money and buy a big a$$ sector!!!
My first thought is a Epic infinity 15 to enjoy light wind but i have to rely on the general hype because i cant demo.
My second choice is a sector 60 or a sector 66.
Both options cost me about $1500
would it be to much overkill to buy the v3 66 to use with a 12m best nemesis and have the ultimate light wind setup? can i expect 8-10 knots on this gear?
i can moan the lawn and hold my ground with my 12m in a 135 x 47 on 12- 14 knots but thats not fun!
Ive never used a directional race board so im on the fence.
Can you guys pitch inn?
the only sure thing is that boards tend to last more than kites!
Thanks in advance!

For sure 8-10 knots on a 60, perhaps at 61kg you really dont need the 66 - unless you are thinking of seriously racing.. The 60 will be more than enough - any more will not give you flotation, just extra drag, and unless you are after the ultimate pointing angle 60 will be more than enough. Windranges are always so hard - in the UK 10 degrees 10kt of cold wind is worth 17 in the 40 degree dry heat of egypt, so I'm always wary of claims.. That said, if my kite will fly (even if I have to keep it moving to stop it stalling) I can ride upwind on the sector 60+.

OzBungy wrote:
Also, does anyone know if the straps have changed on the V3?
The only thing wrong with the v2 is the completely useless strap adjuster buckles. The buckles provide hardly any adjustment, are really hard to get any movement through, and the pull loops come off after 2-3 attempts at adjustment.

Yup, you have a point there... The straps are actually very comfy when you get them adjusted properly and they have worn in, but getting them right is a pain. There are three holes on the ends of the strap and this is how you adjust the size.. The strap in the middle can be use for major adjustments but it's not easy to get anything more than minor adjustments. That said, get them right and they are decent straps... conversely if they were easy to adjust but uncomfortable as hell then I would be complaining a LOT more!

TheRussian wrote:
I used the V3 54 today with a 16m Raven 3 in 15-20knots and it was superb.
many thanks CBK !!!

I wondered what was happening with those Kiteworld boards! lol Glad they are getting on the water.. It was the one with the damage on the nose? 1st ever sector V3 in the UK and the german couriers drove over it with their delivery wagon! :-/

monacoboy wrote:
How does the 54 behave in chop and windy days(25knts++)??
Im after a confy board that goes fast, but without being the heavy/expensive and leg hurting race board

well.. for a freerace board. Heres some footage of carving in waves and rough water.. it went well. Out back in open sea you have complete trust when speeds are normal.. You can wind it up to have chop issues, but for the size of the thing you can hardly expect it to be a 43 wide mutant of 10 years ago..
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/39572731[/vimeo]
above is a vid of that first board that the Russian used above when it first arrived.. 8m Varial X in 10-20kts cold wind..

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

MikeBirt wrote:
TheRussian wrote:
I used the V3 54 today with a 16m Raven 3 in 15-20knots and it was superb.
many thanks CBK !!!

I wondered what was happening with those Kiteworld boards! lol Glad they are getting on the water.. It was the one with the damage on the nose? 1st ever sector V3 in the UK and the german couriers drove over it with their delivery wagon! :-/.

It did look like it had seen a bit of trauma - both a nose job and a bit of added success ballast on top of one of the rails !

Lovely board, straps were superb - comfy yet adequately supportive for driving the fins.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:18 pm 
Medium Poster

I just received my 60.

Is there anyway to find the single back tuttle fin? What is the correct size? Where to find it (asked already on the shop)

And what about the minituttle taps (plastic things that cover the unused and empty box) when I find my back fin, where to find them?

Thanks in advance. Counting hours to try the new board!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:43 am 
Frequent Poster

The single back fin is available as a spare from Airush. You'll have to check with your shop / importer. They are not as expensive as you would think - I know some of the race board fins are changing hands for €200 in the trade. In the UK the spare rear fins are coming into stock within the next 4 weeks and when you buy a central fin it will come with the two small blanking plates needed to plug the boxes where you will take the smaller side fns out.

Be careful of buying aftermarket pure race fins for it - airush spent a long time making fins that were thin and flexible, whilst ensuring they had the right rake for power, control and manoeuvrability. They are not just generic fins slapped in there - there is a lot of work in them. The fins also make a massive difference to the way the boards ride.

I did speak to the designer about the fin configurations on the 54/60/66 as it's odd that only the 60 comes with 4 fins when the other two come with 3. He said that whilst the trend is for 3 and he was seeing advantages with 3 in 54 and 66, for some reason the 60 was always working better (for their target market) better on 4 fins.. Sometimes he said, it's better to go with what you know works than releasing what you think should work... That said the 3 fin setup may be preferred by some riders on the 60, but Airush still think the majority will benefit from 4..

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:26 am 
Medium Poster

MikeBirt wrote:
The single back fin is available as a spare from Airush. You'll have to check with your shop / importer. They are not as expensive as you would think - I know some of the race board fins are changing hands for €200 in the trade. In the UK the spare rear fins are coming into stock within the next 4 weeks and when you buy a central fin it will come with the two small blanking plates needed to plug the boxes where you will take the smaller side fns out.

Be careful of buying aftermarket pure race fins for it - airush spent a long time making fins that were thin and flexible, whilst ensuring they had the right rake for power, control and manoeuvrability. They are not just generic fins slapped in there - there is a lot of work in them. The fins also make a massive difference to the way the boards ride.

I did speak to the designer about the fin configurations on the 54/60/66 as it's odd that only the 60 comes with 4 fins when the other two come with 3. He said that whilst the trend is for 3 and he was seeing advantages with 3 in 54 and 66, for some reason the 60 was always working better (for their target market) better on 4 fins.. Sometimes he said, it's better to go with what you know works than releasing what you think should work... That said the 3 fin setup may be preferred by some riders on the 60, but Airush still think the majority will benefit from 4..

Thanks Mike, very useful info!!! Shops had no idea, but this may be due to the short time since the board launch. Will check again.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:23 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Great vid

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

We finally got ours stateside. Here are some differences we notice between V2 and V3:
It seems like more attention was paid to the top surface -- there is a substantial concave in the top deck nose of the board. There is also a grippy texture in between and in front of the foot straps. Also, there is a noticeable convex to the top deck particularly in the rear foot area.

Putting the 54cm next to an older, 2010 Choptop 5'8", the outlines aren't worlds apart. The 54 has more parallel outline, a wider tail, more full nose, and the front fins are WAY farther forward. But the Choptop is pretty much the same width and length, they both share a double concave bottom and the same kick in the nose.

Even 10 mph of wind and we will be out on the 60 and 54. Not going to demo the 66 though. We only got one and that is for sale only. We've got an extra 54 and 60.

- Droffats

www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Attachments:
Picture 097.jpg
Picture 097.jpg [ 3.03 MIB | Viewed 603 times ]
Picture 092.jpg
Picture 092.jpg [ 5.5 MIB | Viewed 603 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:21 am 
Medium Poster

I tried first yesterday. It has quite some differences from 2011s.

One question, is it possible to use in sector 60 v3 one single rear strap?

Let me explain using the picture from droffats. I heard there was possible to put a single centered rear strap. Drills are placed to configure the board with 2 rear straps and in the center there is an additional hole (red circled). It seems like you could put a single strap using one screw of the back threefin screws and the addtional hole which falls just outside the pad. This additional hole outside the pad is not used for anything else, but it seems different to the others (front and rear straps), in the way that the others seem to go deeper than this one (which seems by direct view only half a centimeter deep). But the hole is present as you can see in the picture from droffats, so I guess it will open as you insert the screw.

Has any of you tried to use it? I did not want to make a mistake :)

Thanks!

Attachments:
sector_60_holes.jpg
sector_60_holes.jpg [ 73.75 KIB | Viewed 566 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:58 am 
Frequent Poster

I asked the designer this and he said yes..

single strap placement on the V3 60 uses the front fin screw of the central rear fin.. You will need a longer stainless m6 screw though I think.... in fact I'm sure!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:24 am 
Medium Poster

Hi juaorpo

Yes this is correct. The Sectors in the big sizes are usually preferred to be ridden towards the outside but Airush included the center or chicken strap position usually used for racers who need more over the board control on the downwind legs. I personally like the outward straps but I have mates that are speed demons who like the over the board feeling when they are blasting down wind.

Cheers
Schmidy :thumb:

[ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next