MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shinn Monk vs. Wainman Joke

Postby MikeBirt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:55 am

I would say that we are now on the latest generation on Monk - The Monk Forever. For the first time in 2 years Mark changed the board very slightly. The result is something that planes earlier, has more drive upwind (is much better for heavier riders in the bigger sizes) but shares everything else with the old version - power handling, chop and comfort. It's a definite improvement if you read around.

http://shinnworld.com/site/boards/board ... orever.htm
http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... &start=315

There is a lot of tech and development and testing hours in a Monk that people don't quite appreciate, and when you compare the two boards in their physical feel alone you'll see the difference. As for the carving - I would like to say that through all the twins and directionals (and I have been through a LOT of them through the years), the Monks ability to go round heel side turns still amazes me. If you know what you are doing, and are pouring power and speed round a corner, then there is nothing that quite throws as much spray in seemingly endless stability as the Monk. It's a TT so it's not toeside turning that well, but on the heels? It's a very impressive board.. Ask around...

This was the original monk..
monk.jpg
monk.jpg (114.36 KiB) Viewed 3400 times

Richtw
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Richtw » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:25 pm

I have ridden both and I own the Joke! The Joke is just simply a really, really fantastic board - as already mentioned the only thing that may put some people off is that it is loose and skatey compared to most other boards. The lift from the joke is concave and convex bottom so it planes really well and gives a smooth ride in horrible chop plus a soft cushy landing due to the 'false' rocker that is created by the convex bubble on the bottom of the board. You can land it sideways if needs be!

I found the Monk to be stiff hard work in chop, lots of spray in the face, aggravated my knees and nothing special. I know there is a lot of love for it out there but I just did not get it....

Message really is just try both if you can....

For me it would be the Joke all day every day!

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rightguard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:12 pm

What about stance choices... Does the joke have narrow choices?

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:30 pm

@Richtw - yes there's a narrow stance, and two wider stances available on the Joke.
If you are in Maui, you should be able to see the Wainman crew on the beach most days. Perhaps ask for a demo or demo one from the school \ dealer in Maui using WH.

At all others, I have, and love both of these boards. I never leave home without both. I am stoked to try out the Monk Forever if I can get my hands on one.

Most reviews here have been band on. I'd agree 100% with Old and Broken's comments.

At the price that WH dealers like Chris at KiteNaked.com can offer until Dec. 21, 2012, you may as well add that board to your quiver. My suggestion would be to follow the size guide or go one size bigger than your last board.

Try taking the fins off the Joke as well, it really makes it fun but took me some getting used to.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:44 pm

I am confused...

I definitely have a 2012 Shinn Monk II. However, I see the Shinn Monk Forever also listed as 2012.

When was the design changed to the Forever? I assume the Forever is the design that Shinn is going with and the Monk II is gone. Is that correct?

Has anyone ridden both of these in the same sizes?

Thanks,

Ed

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:13 pm

ed257 wrote:I am confused...

I definitely have a 2012 Shinn Monk II. However, I see the Shinn Monk Forever also listed as 2012.

When was the design changed to the Forever?
Yes.. the MF was released in Aug 2012, so they are both 2012 if you wish to split hairs.. Shinn releases models through they year - they do not roll out an entire range once a year - so it's hard to pin year models on them. The monk forever will be with us until Aug 2013 at least...
ed257 wrote:I assume the Forever is the design that Shinn is going with and the Monk II is gone. Is that correct?
Yes.. Monk II discontinued production in July 2012..
ed257 wrote:Has anyone ridden both of these in the same sizes?
Yes, and the MF feels almost identical to the original under high loadings and heavy power, but it does have a little more light wind ability, size for size, and in the larger sizes seems to suit heavier riders better. It's also equipped with a 2 year warranty as I understand..

It doesn't take a lot of reading to find a consensus, and you'll find the the extremely polarised negative views about product either prevalent if they are true, or biased if not.

Go try one for yourself!

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:12 am

Got my Monk Forever 134 x 42 yesterday, what a beautiful board. I was surprised to see that my LF Luxury pads and straps (2012 models) don't fit because the Monk's hole pattern is slightly wider. Hopefully the Monk pads and straps will fit my feet, but why would Shinn not go with a standard spacing and give their customers some choice? Foot pads and straps are quite a personal choice. I have used my LF pads and straps on a few different boards now, so it is definitely the Monk that is different. What other pads will work on the Monk if I have to switch?

In the end I just don't get it. The fin hole spacing is now standard, why not the foot pad spacing? The snowboard industry figured this out, pretty sure the wake boarding industry did too. What gives? Definitely a detractor on an absolutely beautiful board.

K

M Shinn
Medium Poster

Postby M Shinn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:57 am

If I may join this thread briefly....
Richtw - That's a very confusing test report for a Monk. It's certainly not a stiff board and normally the feedback is that the board goes better the choppier it is and never, ever sprays water in your face. I guess everyone has a different perspective.

Regarding the insert spacing, all Shinn boards have a 155mm spacing which is/has been the industry standard for many years. There are a few exceptions now like North and Slingshot who are using a track system not inserts, so the binding can have which ever width you like, but personally I'm not a huge fan of this system as it tends to interfere with the flex pattern in the board.
I'm not sure why the Liquid force pads would not fit, I have a rider here in Tenerife that uses them on his Street and they fitted directly on, having said that they are not 2012 models and maybe LF changed something to make their foot pads the same spec as their boots, there is no where on their site where you can find the specs to confirm this. Maybe someone with a LF board/boots could measure the insert spacings and PM me so I can figure it out as well!
Wakeboard bindings don't have a standard insert spacing and many companies use different standards which complicates the situation even more when choosing where to put the inserts on a board.
If you wish to ride bindings on a Shinn then there are a couple of brands that make boots with 155mm insert spacing (Slingshot for one I believe) or you can often fix the plate using the inner and outer inserts. Hope this helps clarify the situation a little.
Regards
Mark

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Richtw wrote:I have ridden both and I own the Joke! The Joke is just simply a really, really fantastic board - as already mentioned the only thing that may put some people off is that it is loose and skatey compared to most other boards. The lift from the joke is concave and convex bottom so it planes really well and gives a smooth ride in horrible chop plus a soft cushy landing due to the 'false' rocker that is created by the convex bubble on the bottom of the board. You can land it sideways if needs be!

I found the Monk to be stiff hard work in chop, lots of spray in the face, aggravated my knees and nothing special. I know there is a lot of love for it out there but I just did not get it....

Message really is just try both if you can....

For me it would be the Joke all day every day!

yes each to their own I suppose, but honestly all the attributes you said you didn't like about the Monk is the reason I bought and ride this board as they don't spray any water in your face, while it doesn't glide across chop it cuts it to pieces, letting you hold massive speed, through an unbreakable edge, which translate to massive air given correct technique. It is the only board I have ridden in 13 years that does not tire my ankles and knees which are shot to shit from playing Australian rules. Just the correct amount of flex, that translate across its axis, not just at the tips.

I have not ridden the joke and im sure its a quality product because have ridden their kites from its description it is a different board built for a different style, not sure why this post actually exists. Maybe I should start a post, ozone REO versus a north Vegas. .?? The monk allows my to attain stupid speeds, which translate to fast and accurate heel side carves. It is actually decent in the surf to. I have tried to break this rail heavily overpowered on big kites, you can't. But let off a bit and you will find out very quickly how much power it is holding down. Not interested in gliding over chop, I wanna cut it to pieces. Each to their own I suppose.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Mark, I appreciate your response. After getting my boards back out and doing some measuring I figured out the issue. The standard spacing on a lot of boards is 6 inches, which is why the LF pads fit on my Cabrinha Caliber. The spacing on my new Monk Forever is exactly 155 mm, exactly as you stated. The problem is that 6 inches equates to 152.4 mm, not 155 mm and that extra 2.6 mm means that my LF pads don't fit. The LF pads have a rigid base and the way the hole pattern is, there is no play to make them work on the Shinn board. In the end, the Monk Forever looks great and hopefully the Shinn pads and straps will work, I was just hoping to be able to use my LF pads as a backup because I know they work and I have spent a lot of money over the years finding a pad / strap combo that works for me.

Note that in the third photo, the right side of the LF pad / strap is screwed in, the left side is not aligned.

K
Attachments
IMG_4392.JPG
IMG_4395.JPG
IMG_4391.JPG
Last edited by ktflyer381 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”