Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone or any other line extensions for light wind

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ozone or any other line extensions for light wind

Postby ronnie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:43 pm

gbleck wrote:Don't underestimate the impotence of a longer power stroke.
That's why I have fitted 5m extensions. I was finding that in very light wind with a very floaty raceboard, my Xbow 13m was sometimes almost getting me up onto the board - just needed a very slight bit longer pull.

betomd
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Acapulco, México
Favorite Beaches: Isla Blanca, Holbox, Tulum, Acapulco, La Ventana, Tarifa
Style: free ride
Gear: OZONE
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby betomd » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks edt, I think it’s a wise advice to talk with the local kiters and learn from their experience. Will do it for sure.

Also already started surfing and it is a great way to stay in the water when it is not windy, but hopefully I will get better at it, so I can enjoy it as much as I enjoy kiting.

In the meantime (for the price, and the fact that I´ve already own a 14m kite) 30m lines it´s worth a shot, just to try to kite more often. Will not expect the best outcome considering that the spot conditions may change and might not work in my favor, but still worth a try.

I Will let you know the resutls.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:54 am

Bille wrote:1) The knots in the lines like to get tangled ; especially if Ya drop the kite in the water.
A quick jiggle is usually enough to free them...

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:46 am

I usually rig my Core 17LW with 3 mts extensions (24+3). IMO, with a big size kite the difference is significant. I tested the extension with my 11 (another Riot) and frankly speaking I did not notice a very big difference in low end. Just a slightly more powerful stroke waterstarting but, once riding, the only different I felt was that the kite turned slower.
About knots, I did not notice any problem.

pecmajor
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Marie Curtis
Favorite Beaches: Coconut Bay St Lucia
Outer Banks NC USA
Long Beach Ontario
Oliphant Ontario
Style: Kite as much as I can
Gear: On sale

Postby pecmajor » Sun May 19, 2013 12:33 am

Rigged my 2010 Ozone Zepher with 6 m line extensions for first the first time today on anice 12 to 15 knot easterly on lake Ontario and I could not believe the improvement. Lots more windup there! was worried the kite would turn slower but it seemed to be more responsive than the regular 25m lines. All in all had a great session with many other kiters sitting on the beach waiting for more wind. Just like the Ozone Zepher adds. Used a 158 Speen door. And I weigh 210lbs! Now I want to try 10m extentions. Anyone else tried this?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Sun May 19, 2013 1:35 am

From my perspective line extensions seem to work best on a kites with some higher aspect as moving the kite to generate speed is not as necessary as a lower aspect kite. Hence something like a zephyr there would be some benefits. Had line extensions on my cat, still a diff, but not great.

Return to “Kitesurfing”