All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Ozone or any other line extensions for light wind
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

gbleck wrote:
Don't underestimate the impotence of a longer power stroke.

That's why I have fitted 5m extensions. I was finding that in very light wind with a very floaty raceboard, my Xbow 13m was sometimes almost getting me up onto the board - just needed a very slight bit longer pull.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:26 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks edt, I think it’s a wise advice to talk with the local kiters and learn from their experience. Will do it for sure.

Also already started surfing and it is a great way to stay in the water when it is not windy, but hopefully I will get better at it, so I can enjoy it as much as I enjoy kiting.

In the meantime (for the price, and the fact that I´ve already own a 14m kite) 30m lines it´s worth a shot, just to try to kite more often. Will not expect the best outcome considering that the spot conditions may change and might not work in my favor, but still worth a try.

I Will let you know the resutls.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:54 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Bille wrote:
1) The knots in the lines like to get tangled ; especially if Ya drop the kite in the water.

A quick jiggle is usually enough to free them...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:46 am 
Frequent Poster

I usually rig my Core 17LW with 3 mts extensions (24+3). IMO, with a big size kite the difference is significant. I tested the extension with my 11 (another Riot) and frankly speaking I did not notice a very big difference in low end. Just a slightly more powerful stroke waterstarting but, once riding, the only different I felt was that the kite turned slower.
About knots, I did not notice any problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:33 am 
Rare Poster

Rigged my 2010 Ozone Zepher with 6 m line extensions for first the first time today on anice 12 to 15 knot easterly on lake Ontario and I could not believe the improvement. Lots more windup there! was worried the kite would turn slower but it seemed to be more responsive than the regular 25m lines. All in all had a great session with many other kiters sitting on the beach waiting for more wind. Just like the Ozone Zepher adds. Used a 158 Speen door. And I weigh 210lbs! Now I want to try 10m extentions. Anyone else tried this?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:35 am 
Very Frequent Poster

From my perspective line extensions seem to work best on a kites with some higher aspect as moving the kite to generate speed is not as necessary as a lower aspect kite. Hence something like a zephyr there would be some benefits. Had line extensions on my cat, still a diff, but not great.

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2