knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The New V-7 Dynabar.

Postby knotwindy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 pm

looks interesting, might have to give it a go.
question though, if you are not into unhooked riding is there any reason you can not skip the "hook and pulley" piece and just hook the chicken lop through the bar or line. seems like this would give you a bit more throw with the bar for depower, you could not unhook by accident and you have to check your QR every time you go out or come in, which would seem to a safety plus as well as building muscle memory?
or am i missing some obvious downside? other than the rope (but not the bar) maybe wearing faster?
thanks to whoever has tried this for an answer.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:21 am

knotwindy wrote:looks interesting, might have to give it a go.
question though, if you are not into unhooked riding is there any reason you can not skip the "hook and pulley" piece and just hook the chicken lop through the bar or line. seems like this would give you a bit more throw with the bar for depower, you could not unhook by accident and you have to check your QR every time you go out or come in, which would seem to a safety plus as well as building muscle memory?
or am i missing some obvious downside? other than the rope (but not the bar) maybe wearing faster?
You would wear thru the c-loop very quickly if you run the c-loop line directly against the rope - and it probably would not last more than a few sessions before your C-loop is destroyed, and the rope will wear quickly too. I would not recommend even trying this.

There is a LOT of friction on the pin/roller when used with te metal slide. If you use the hook on the metal bar without a roller bushing you will even wear thru the marine grade stainless steel shackle pin.

The rope mode does not wear on the plastic roller nearly as much. But you still want something covering the threaded pin, to protect both the pin and the rope.

You can use a small stainelss ring on the rope and then run your c-loop thru that. Just make sure the ring is large enough diameter to allow easy release of the loop line. This will bring the bar a few inches closer to you if that is your goal.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:38 am

turfAndsurf wrote: ...
I'm curious to do some front and back rolls with the wave setup, anybody tried it? Any problems?
I'm NO expert, with only 3 hours total time on the V-7 with the Cord set-up.

And this isn't really a Problem so to say; but when doing my first several back-rolls
i noticed that since the kite pulled from the side instead of the center like
the fixed hook ; i was able to Carve the board Much deeper into roll and ended
up with a LOT more energy than intended !!

That's gonna be Great when i get the timing down, it will make the doubles a Bunch easier.

Bille

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:19 pm

\
You could do this with a Cabrinha to accomplish what you are asking about. I used this set-up, but have simplified it even more by substituting a single welded ring for the Marlin swivel. Just make sure the ring is just the right size for the mushroom release to work properly. It is too bad that the new 2012 mushroom release has been redisigned and won't work with a simple ring.

If you rig up something, just make sure it works... or else just buy the dynabar. A number of kiters have been using the rope for many years... I have been one of them for the past 5 years, and have had no problems with rope wear, with any sliding hardware (rings, swivels, shackles) that I have put on the rope.
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (121.42 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (117.81 KiB) Viewed 2180 times

turfAndsurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Diego

Postby turfAndsurf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:25 pm

robertovillate wrote:
turfAndsurf wrote:I also used it for the first time last week, didn't feel awkward at all, boosted some jumps, no problem. I'm curious to do some front and back rolls with the wave setup, anybody tried it? Any problems?
no problemo.

your hand(s) on the bar stabilize it (or can also help it slide). Just try it and you'll see for yourself. It actually helps to have the hook slide if you need to over-correct or twist your body more to stick a landing or transition landing (e.g. to toeside). Let us know what you think after you try it.
Bille wrote:
turfAndsurf wrote: ...
I'm curious to do some front and back rolls with the wave setup, anybody tried it? Any problems?
I'm NO expert, with only 3 hours total time on the V-7 with the Cord set-up.

And this isn't really a Problem so to say; but when doing my first several back-rolls
i noticed that since the kite pulled from the side instead of the center like
the fixed hook ; i was able to Carve the board Much deeper into roll and ended
up with a LOT more energy than intended !!

That's gonna be Great when i get the timing down, it will make the doubles a Bunch easier.

Bille
As soon as I try it I will let you guys know, thanks for the info.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Have a V3 on my seat harness and love it. Will the V-7 fit the Dakine waist harness quick connects?

mowaves
Rare Poster

Postby mowaves » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:10 am

@tomatkins - I have just started experimenting with making a spectra rope bar similar to the setup you have. Seeing as you have the experience, I'm looking at what you have there and have a few questions. What's the gray tubing piece there for and what about the black stopper/adjuster and red ball? Thanks!

cabron
Frequent Poster

Postby cabron » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:48 am

this is a bit off topic from Dynabar, but anyways;

Tomatkins etc. would this carabiner work just by itself, I mean if you put the rope through the eye (top left in the picture) of this thing:

Then the carabiner would slide freely through the rope and you wouldn't need other items like rings or shackles etc.? Would this work?

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:51 pm

If you use a standard chickenloop with this carbiner everything would be waaaay out of reach unless you have monkey arms. I use the rope with a 50 mm stainless steel ring sliding in the rope and the quick release is like the cabrinha version connected directly to the ring, works flawlessly. Used the same rope the whole last season and stil not much sign on any wear. I will still change it for this season (like 1$) just to be safe.

/Urban.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Look at Wichard they have great rings, shackles etc.

As well as my Dynabar I also have a harness with a spreader bar that has the hook cut off, a dyneema line attached at each end and this shackle on the rope but snapped on the chicken loop.

http://www.wichard.com/rubrique-Quick_r ... 00-ME.html

They have greaty breaking strain too.

mike

Return to “Kitesurfing”