acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Do people hate cabrinha?

Postby acctx » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:00 pm

I have cabrinha kites because that was what was on sale when I started kiting. However I see mostly negative comments about cabrinha kites on here. Is it because they are expensive? because they pimp. The quality seems fine, but the new prices do seem to be substantially higher than many other brands.

I saw the post about the f-one delam and one guy mentioned that cabrinha replaced his board even though he thrashes them.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of that money goes for service - such as not giving you a hard time and just wholesale replacing gear when you have an issue vs. repairing it.

Each full replacement eats profit on probably 5-10 kites. Cabrinha gear may be expensive if you just think in terms of the mfg costs, but possibly no hassle replacements eat up a good chunk of the margin.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Does cabrinha do a better job of standing behind their products than other brands?

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Re: Do people hate cabrinha?

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:31 pm

As a long time dealer of Cabrinha, I can give some insight, but of course it's from my perspective.

Take it for what it's worth.

I cannot remember the last time I had to issue a warranty claim with Cabrinha. They did have some canopy issues a few years back, but have corrected it since. They build a great product and the quality control is excellent.

Pimping? Do you spend much time on this forum? If so, you should have a good feel for it already.

The crew at ASI is great to work with and have had nothing but good feedback recently from riders on the new 2012 SB's. This kite has been refined through the years and the SB's are now moderately priced compared to a lot of other kites on the market. They used to be a higher priced company, but are now being passed by others.

Hope this helps,

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:54 pm

"Hate" is a bit too strong of a word. But as a long-time Cabrinha-hater I could try to provide some insight as well.

As such Cabs are very solid, but average kites for any average Joe. Quality is top notch, bars are great too. Though it only took Cabrinha 5 years to deal-in the bar pressure, which is still on the high side. And these kites are still ridiculously-easy to invert in less than nuking conditions (to make it justice, all flat-ish kites have that problem).

It's just that these kites are everywhere without any good reason. For example, locally the biggest argument for buying Cabrinha kites i've heard is the fact that they keep very well the re-sale value!!! That's like driving Camry-s all your life, very reliable, re-sells great, but it's voooomiting-boring to drive!!! Come on! Any average Joe should have more imagination than this! There are better and much more fun to fly kites out there for the same price or less. It's ok to explore the possibilities, nobody got ashed yet for screwing other women than his wife! :thumb:

No hate, but personally I always encourage people to check out other brands and I will never fly one my-self. Just a personal thing. It's worth getting another brand's kite just for the sake of being different from other average Joes on any average kite-spot.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:17 pm

I read a lot on here and I cannot see more negative post than other brands.
Every brand has a problem here and there, that is normal.
Important is, that they take care of a problem asap to satisfy their customers.
And I think Cabrinha is doing that!

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:41 pm

If you promote your self as a high quality brand, then you should use the best materials and construction methods, and cab don't appear to quite live up to this requirement. Also they are part of a large group and it is clearly more about the bottom line and going on trips to expensive resorts with the dealers, than the quality of the finished product.
Anyway they are one of the biggest brands so must be doing something right, and I even bought one of their boards,so lets see how my buying experience works out. :-?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:43 pm

I don't think people hate them.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:09 pm

It's simple, cabrinha makes nice kites especially their racers, but people that ride cabs are often kooks. That's why the hate.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:13 pm

edt wrote:It's simple, cabrinha makes nice kites especially their racers, but people that ride cabs are often kooks. That's why the hate.
agree with this, don't think i've ever seen a good cab rider except in videos

i really like switchblades, but I wouldn't have gotten them i didn't get a significant discount. paying almost 2k for a kite is stupid.

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Jdizzle » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:31 pm

I hate Cab kites...ok I said it :oops:

To me, they just fly nasty...high bar pressure, horrible feedback and they turn slow!

I also cannot understand how Cab can sell their kites at a premium price, yet they do not use Teijin for their canopies!!!??!!!

You can buy a Switch kite that is better made, with a Teijin canopy for half the price :lol:

MCMario
Medium Poster

Postby MCMario » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 pm

I have been riding Cabrinha Switchblades for 5 years and I am very satisfied with them. Are they the best kite out there? This is personnal and it depends on your riding style. For me I like them and I'm sure I could like another brand also but since I'm happy with the product and the company behind it I stick to Cabrinha.
Mario

Return to “Kitesurfing”