Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do people hate cabrinha?

Forum for kitesurfers
frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Do people hate cabrinha?

Postby frankm1960 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:31 pm

Since we're on the subject... has anyone seen this video of the 2012 cab chop stick?
http://www.cabrinhakites.com/chopstick.html

Maybe I'm missing something but shouldn't there be some choppy water somewhere in that video... since it is after all a board designed for choppy water?

or do the water conditions in the video fit the criteria for "choppy water"?

or maybe they mean to add that it works good in flat water too?

I would have thought maybe some footage of the board being used maybe off the coast of Ireland or the UK or something like that or even the gorge.

oh well... i'll keep lookin :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:27 am

frankm1960 wrote:Since we're on the subject... has anyone seen this video of the 2012 cab chop stick?

Maybe I'm missing something but shouldn't there be some choppy water somewhere in that video... since it is after all a board designed for choppy water?

I would have thought maybe some footage of the board being used maybe off the coast of Ireland or the UK or something like that or even the gorge.

They had plenty of shots of choppy water, but it was edited out cos it's not what people want to see :)

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Jdizzle » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:58 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
acctx wrote:I have cabrinha kites because that was what was on sale when I started kiting. However I see mostly negative comments about cabrinha kites on here. Is it because they are expensive? because they pimp. The quality seems fine, but the new prices do seem to be substantially higher than many other brands.

I saw the post about the f-one delam and one guy mentioned that cabrinha replaced his board even though he thrashes them.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of that money goes for service - such as not giving you a hard time and just wholesale replacing gear when you have an issue vs. repairing it.

Each full replacement eats profit on probably 5-10 kites. Cabrinha gear may be expensive if you just think in terms of the mfg costs, but possibly no hassle replacements eat up a good chunk of the margin.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Does cabrinha do a better job of standing behind their products than other brands?
Do people hate North?
Do people hate Naish?
Do people hate Slingshot?
Do people hate F-One?
Do people hate Ocean Rodeo?
Do people hate Epic?
Do people hate Core?
Do people hate GK?
Do people hate Spleene?
Do people hate Flysurfer?
Do peolpe hate Flexifoil?
Do people hate Wainman?
Do people hate Best?
Do people hate RRD?
Do people hate Airush?
Do people hate HQ?
Do people hate Ozone?
Do people hate Peter Lynn?
Do people hate Crazy Fly?
Do people hate Star Kites?
Do people hate Gin?

Well do you :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: ???
Or is it better to :heartface: :heartface: :heartface: :heartface: ???

:remybussi: :remybussi: :remybussi: :remybussi: :remybussi: :remybussi: :remybussi:
No I only hate Cabrinha kites :lol:

monacoboy
Rare Poster

Postby monacoboy » Thu May 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Personaly, Im with Cabrinha coz of their safety system.
Yeah, I find the bar well made, clean of ropes (not like north, naish etc) and IDS very easy and simple to use.
Anyhting goin weird, you push the bar far out and the kite depower nicely.
Anything goin dangerous, use the quick release.
Easy.
However, the 2012 IDS is a pain in the ass, I dont like it so I stick with the 2011 one.

Then the kites :
I use a 9m Crossbow and a 7m Switchblade.
The Crossbow is a truck, yep, but for those like me who likes fcuk lot of power, goin fast on a directional board, good upwind and some high jumps...it works really well.
Add to this its huge wind range...

The Switchblade is more versatile and faster turning than the Crossbow.
With my 7m I use the same bar as my Crossbow, so in fact my bar is bigger than whats recomended...doesnt matter, the kite turns faster^^

Quality canopy, prices, reliability etc etc...
Well Cabrinha is on the same boast as most of the other kites brands.
However I hope that North and their new D2 will push Cabrinha to improve the canopy.
Then Cabrinha is expensive indeed. But if you arent after the latest toy on the market you can do as I do : Buy brand new the previous year gear for 50%.
Problem solved.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Thu May 10, 2012 9:36 pm

The important question is - Why do people like Cabrinha?

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick

Postby MattyRossJa » Thu May 10, 2012 11:10 pm

i've only owned Cabrinha SB 10m , but i've ridden a couple other brands , one comparison , the quality of the hardware on my 2011 was by FARRRRR superior to my friends brand new 2012 9m Bandit 5 ... it felt very weak and tacky and the safety release is terrible ... everytime i try a new kite after riding my 2011 10m SB for almost 2 yrs i realise how well made the cabrinha is , closest in quality , and probably better from what i've ridden is the 2012 north rebel ...

my 10m SB was pretty fast , but compared to the 2012 bandit 5 9m the SB was muchhhhh slower ... the bandit 5 9m felt way too fast , it felt like i was riding a 7m cabrinha ... but i guess that's something you get used to ... i'm fairly new to the sport but i think i'm grasping a lot in a short time , and i was fully satisfied with my 2011 10m SB , before it got stolen 2 weeks ago :(

i was looking to buy another cabrinha , but the prices are kinda high , i can get a brand new 10m bandit 5 for US$850 , but after using my friend's i can see why it's soo much cheaper ... also just got a cabrinha chopstick board , perfect for my regular kite spot , got it barely used for $230 .. and i found a deal for a 2012 north rebel 11m for $550 , used ... but great condition , a friend of mine ... and the quality of the hardware seems to be much better than the F-One and on par with the cabrinha stuff i've used .. as for the bar pressure , i'm not fussy , but i like some bar pressure when i ride

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)

Postby MattyRossJa » Thu May 10, 2012 11:15 pm

i also found that on my SB i could push my bar out very farrrr to depower and self land without pulling release ... i could not do this with the bandit 5 which made self landing a bit tricky

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Jdizzle » Thu May 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Cabrinha blows :lol:

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster

Postby MattyRossJa » Thu May 10, 2012 11:18 pm

frankm1960 wrote:Since we're on the subject... has anyone seen this video of the 2012 cab chop stick?

hahhahaa i found a barely used one for $230 and got it , cuz my closest kite area is choppy ... found the board to perform very well , and very comfortable , just not as much pop , but i got it for freeriding mainly .....

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:36 pm

I like them :thumb: Owned 7 Cabs and haven't had any major issues!

Return to “Kitesurfing”