All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: bws noise size
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:28 pm 
Frequent Poster

I think BWS are sizing against projected area rather than surface area. Something Wipika did in the early days, I actually think its a better way of comparing kite sizes, but only North to my knowledge quote them. If you look at their site the 9m Evo's has nearly the same project area as a 12 Vegas that's why Evo's feel grunty.

Anyway I think a 10 BWS would be fine unless in really light wind areas.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:00 pm 
Medium Poster

Thanks Mike. For really light winds, I co-own an older Cabrinha 16m ... it starts to work at 8kts, fun at 12-15, and you would not want anything to do with it at 18kts or more. I suspect the BWS 12m might have similar wind range or at least top end. The upper end of feeling safe with my Cab 12m is maybe 24kts -- think the BWS 12m might be 18-20max.

Typical summer winds around here are 15-25, which falls right between kite sizes. You're right, 10m is probably the answer. But I've already blown the budget and won't be buying that any time soon! So for now, I think the plan is to keep my Cab too. So much for my pre-purchase promise "but it's such a good deal honey, I'll sell all my old kites and it will nearly be an even trade". :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:27 am 
Very Frequent Poster

mike dubs wrote:
I think BWS are sizing against projected area rather than surface area. Something Wipika did in the early days, I actually think its a better way of comparing kite sizes, but only North to my knowledge quote them. If you look at their site the 9m Evo's has nearly the same project area as a 12 Vegas that's why Evo's feel grunty.

Anyway I think a 10 BWS would be fine unless in really light wind areas.

Mike

Something Wipika did in the early days, ???

Exactly...

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3