All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Waterproof your kite?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:05 pm 
Frequent Poster

Putting your kite away wet will only cause:
1) Salt water can cause color bleed from your bridle lines/flying lines sleeves onto the canopy
2) Fresh water will do the same color bleed with the additional discoloration caused by mildew

Both issues are strictly cosmetic. I don't like putting them away wet, either, but it's not the end of the world. As for the sand stuck to it, meh, it'll dry and fall off in your bag. Just shake it out when you go out for you next session.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:56 pm 
Medium Poster

MACTNKA wrote:
Neverwet's been on the market for years and its cheap. $18 on Amazon . Let us know how it works though! Always wondered but i wouldnt sacrifice a good kite!

Sadly, all of these products add weight to the kite. Even lots of graphics adds extra weight .
None of this aids in the relaunching of any kite. I have found single skin kites with today's products rarely need any of these products. In the days when foils ruled, these product aided as the nylon used was more porus.

P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:19 pm 
Medium Poster

Anyone here sprayed 'SailKote Dry Lubricant' on their LE? I only want my LE to be dry when landing on the beach so sand won't stick if LE wet.

So, does SailKote do the job?

http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:19 am 
Rare Poster

The kites these days have enough water relaunch already for me theres no purpose spray it with waterproof liquid.

www.caribbean-kite.com
www.facebook.com/kiteboardingplayadelcarmenmexico

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:59 pm 
Medium Poster

unbob wrote:
Anyone here sprayed 'SailKote Dry Lubricant' on their LE? I only want my LE to be dry when landing on the beach so sand won't stick if LE wet.

So, does SailKote do the job?

http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

Not on the LE but sprayed sailkote on the TE to try and treat the soft cracking in the material. Trouble was that sailkote dried with very noticeable white spray marks which I then spent ages trying to wipe off with a wet rag. Not brilliantly successful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:45 pm 
Medium Poster

unbob wrote:
I only want my LE to be dry when landing on the beach so sand won't stick if LE wet.

Since this is the second time you're mentioning it, I guess it's a real issue for you.

If I can, at the end of my session I try to take it easy for a couple tacks to let the LE dry out if I've dropped the kite at all. Understandably, this isn't always possible due to the conditions at the time or the nature of the launch.

My backup plan for a wet kite is to bring a dustpan or utility brush along with me and give the LE a good brushing/beating before deflating. It works a charm, which I why it's part of my rig/teardown kit:

• Carabiner Quickdraws & Rope
  • Pump
  • Brush
  • ..all in a nylon 'shopping bag' for use as a self-launch anchor (if necessary)

YMMV, but I agree; there are fewer things worse than ending a good session by packing up a wet and sandy kite.

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2