Slingshot rpm 2012, is the 12m really a 12m

Forum for kitesurfers
JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot rpm 2012, is the 12m really a 12m

Postby JGTR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Oh c'mon James, like to keep you on your toes! It's not often that SS drop the ball!

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:26 pm

boyceduke wrote:@ shymac, I did plenty of research and looked at the wind graphs even though we all know there based on a 75kg rider based on an unknown board size. Of course everyone has an opinion but I like being powered and explained this to people. I can't fault the kite, build, looks, flying speed but I am disappointed that the 12m is probably a 10.8m kite. I feel like I have wasted £1000 of my hard earned cash and feel slightly misled. If slingshot base there kite sizes on feel alone what is the true feeling of a 12m then when all brands feel so different!!!

Here is your quote from my research

If your planning on having kites for 2+ years go for 3. It will spread out the wear and you're gear will last longer in most cases... For your CDL class I would recommend the 8/10/12 so you're never out the proper kite... Plus you won't have to override any of them either, which will decrease wear and tear..
Do you weight over 200lb? If you do; That quiver should work but still many variables, local conditions and what boards you will ride on what size kites do make all the difference. Do you just ride twintip or switch between directionals, race boards, ect.. ? If so, you should be able to get the spread in the 8/10/12 that your looking for. In most cases riders that are over the 200lb limit seem to never ride anything smaller then a 8m.. That's just an observation, but I've had feedback that corresponds with that train of thought... R&D doesn't base there kites sizes on feel alone. But when you get a 11.9 sq its safe to say round up to 12m.. All kites tend to lean to one side of the power curve and perform better at certain wind ranges and its natural to have that.. Its been a like that since the beginning of kiteboarding..

*Have you tried messing with your settings? It can have a good effect on total range and behavior of the RPM's. Switch from Wake to Freestyle will give you the abrupt pop and grunt you would get from a C-kite allowing for the explosive pop for jumping. If you like to jump big and get max pull from the kite after you release your board edge I would recommend the Wake setting. Also increasing bar pressure for bigger riders can help a lot!

You shouldn't have any problem with selling your 8m, if you deiced to do that... :thumb:
JGTR wrote:It's not often that SS drop the ball!
What ball are you taking about?
Attachments
241.jpg
96.jpg
58.jpg

boyceduke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cambersands
Favorite Beaches: el gouna, egypt
Style: freeride/freestyle
Gear: all sorts
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby boyceduke » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:48 pm

@ Shymac, I did mess around with the settings but I am afraid the 12m is still IMOA only slightly more powerful than the 10m. Of course the 10m is faster than the 12m thus creating that extra bit of apparent wind evening them both out in low end grunt. I have resolved my issue now anyway with the help of the UK Slingshot rep, James and Angelo @ S2AS, poole.

boyceduke
Medium Poster

Postby boyceduke » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:57 pm

@ James, UK Slingshot, Rep.

I really appreciate you making contact with me and the advice you gave. I feel happy now that I have decided to keep the 8 and 10 RPM and swap the 12rpm for a 14m RALLY which should give me the options to cover a huge wind range. Thanks again and happy kiting. :bye: :thumb:

boyceduke
Medium Poster

Postby boyceduke » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:11 pm

@ Angelo, S2AS, Poole

I just wanted to let people know about the fantastic after sales service that S2AS offer, I purchased my 12m RPM from them a few weeks ago and I was initially very happy with the advice and service i received. I spoke with Angelo today in the Poole shop and I explained to him my issue, he was completely understanding and gave me some very good advice. Cut a long story short, he has taken back my used 12m rpm and given me a very good price against a 14m Rally. Hopefully now I will have the perfect quiver to cover a huge amount of conditions. I will defiantly be back in the summer to upgrade my current board.

Aftersale service means alot to me and most people and S2AS is spot on, thanks again. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

TommyDelly
Medium Poster

Postby TommyDelly » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Slingshot you are a joke!

And boyceduke you are funny, you were one of the first who commented on this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2373093&hilit=Rpm+size (where someone noticed that the 2011 rpm 10m and 12m are almost the same) and you said;
boyceduke wrote:Wat an absolute joke, my bro has the 9 n 12 and he is always saying how close they are, no wonder as there prob almost the same size, I'll be sure to let him know.
so why did you go and buy a 10 and 12 then xD?!

boyceduke
Medium Poster

Postby boyceduke » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Because of the advice i received and that people said that for 2012 it had changed, oh well, I can't fault t 10m, awesome kite, hopefully the 8m is as good. I'm happy now i have a 14m rally on its way. :thumb:

Tedy
Rare Poster

Postby Tedy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:04 am

Can someone make a picture 10,8 together,..i would like to see difreence between 8 and 10,...

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:48 am

Tedy wrote:Can someone make a picture 10,8 together,..i would like to see difreence between 8 and 10,...
ive seen this picture before and it seems fine, 6/8/10/14... it's the 12 that doesnt fit

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......

Postby windyway » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm

The 6m - 9m - 12m gap is perfect on the 2012 Rally.
I considered the 7-10-14 but opted for the smaller sizes.

To cut costs, I didn't want to pay for a four kite quiver of 6-8-10-12.
I would not find the 10 - 12 gap very useful.

Thank you to Slingy for filling in the size ranges by adding a 7 and 9,
so that we have these choices in building our quiver.

The 12m has the power I expect from a 12m, and with good turning speed too.
It never falls in light air or complains when I should be on the 9m.

While the 9m is my perfect wave kite, I find the 12m is a satisfying ride also.
Two of my friends are very happy after changing from the 12 RPM to the 14M Rally.

PS............
You also might look at the Best Kahoona V4 if you like their 5.5, 7.5, 11.5 sizing.
Its my other favorite for the waves. WW

Return to “Kitesurfing”