Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

trainer kite success story

Forum for kitesurfers
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

trainer kite success story

Postby lovethepirk » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:56 am

Hey all...had a freaking ball today with the trainer that I couldn't get airborne before. Was at the Naples beach for an early swim and for some reason I just felt the wind was up a tad so I said the hell with it and whipped down to tigertail beach and made the 2 mile walk to get away from everyone and set up the 3m trainer. When I hit the beach there, I knew it was enough wind and the kite just danced then fell softly then I realized I needed to fly the kite once it was 4 ft in the air to one side and BAM the kite shot up in the air perfect :jump:

I immediately started steering the kite and I was amazed how much you have to move the bar to get a response sometimes. Anyway, I had the kite in the air for at least 15 minutes of fun then repeated that a few times. I did figure 8's the whole time, some tight, some large and got some good body dragging in, even tried some one handed dragging, I couldn't come close to dragging upwind though as I either lack experience or the kite/wind and lack of board keep me from doing that.

Only thing bad was I crashed in the water once trying to get low with a figure 8 and once I got the kite turned over I gave it a hell of a tug and I thought I snapped my shoulder out of socket for a moment. I took a break and I think it is alright, but a little sore now. The foil took on a little water so when I yanked on it thinking it would pop up it was like yanking a car.

Anyway, I appreciate some of the words on my last post I made specially the one where someone said to fly the kite with the bridal....flying with the bridal really put the motion in perspective for me. I'm going to do this once again and then head down to Islamorada for lessons or at least the cable practice...maybe make a trip to somewhere more serious like some have said so I get a lump sum of serious practice in vs one day here-one day there. I was looking at Cancun and the place just north of there b/c the flights are cheap to get there. I'm leaning towards trying to risk heading down to Islamorada a couple times when winds could be decent in the next month or so. I've never been south of Miami yet. :jump:
Attachments
tt.jpg

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Re: trainer kite success story

Postby loco4viento » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:00 am

I love your beach crowd!

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Don Monnot » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:28 am

Body dragging upwind with a 2-line trainer kite would be tough. You can't sheet in to keep the kite within the power part of the wind window. You have to keep moving the kite and then the pull from it isn't constant.

Enjoy the learning!

Don

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:49 pm

lovethepirk wrote: ...
I said the hell with it and whipped down to tigertail beach and made the 2 mile walk to get away from everyone and set up the 3m trainer.
Do you know if that was High-Tide ; or close to it ?

If it is high tide ; then that would be a Perfect place to use a three wheeled land buggy
with a kite , at Low-Tide !!!

For the sand ; you would need BIG wheels though .

https://www.google.com/search?q=three+w ... d=0CB0QsAQ

Bille

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:10 pm

that was 30 minutes till low tide. There are some turtle roped off areas and large roped off bird areas there. I'm just learning so I can't comment on how easy it would be to avoid those.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Got a skateboard?

The jump on it with ya trainer.