Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Always lines "on" on all your kites ??

Forum for kitesurfers
fokiten
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Always lines "on" on all your kites ??

Postby fokiten » Mon May 21, 2012 3:27 am

That really does sound simple...

Just trust your kite and your abilities of course, and you'll be fine...

I was referring to ez's interest in folks latitude and water temp--all things geographical it seems..

Rock-on
fo

PS. "Trust but verify" Was a cold war maxim.

and the verifying is what I was talking about as being a pain to do when self launching with an unknown pre attached set of lines.....

no problem though with a "patient" helper...(picture that foot tapping dude while you go I'll flip two more times and we're golden--promise!!

talk about rookies and their gear being not ready when they ask for help--!!

Hate those type of guys...

Kiting is about being prepared...

But Hey, if you got trust and emotocons to spare--you're the real winner no doubt..

Best
fo
14ToeSide wrote:What the Flip does Geo-Graphical have to do with it! Had to put a Hyphen on such a BIG word!! :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado:

Got to have confidence in your ability and trusting how you put up equipment. Seems like taking lines off is like Training wheels? Hmmmm. Meeeeeeee Ouch!!! :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday:

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: ALWAYS lines "ON" on all your kites ??

Postby OzBungy » Mon May 21, 2012 4:06 am

SupaEZ wrote:...
1-Leaving lines ON makes "ALL" my 200+ self- launches per year 100% certain :thumb:

2-I have total comfort and confidence even if i totally rush to get out (i skip ZERO of MY steps)

None of that has anything to do with leaving your lines on. It has everything to do with having a reliable system and following it and checking stuff.

I take my lines off, you leave your lines on. I self-launch/land almost exclusively and I think I have had to abort maybe twice in 1000 launches. I get out on the water faster than anybody else I kite with and I daresay at least as fast as you.

I did try the Fo method (my kite mates uses that one. attach the front lines and wind out/walk back/attach rears). It works ok. I still ended up just dropping the lines, wind out and walk back attach all lines left to right. I still get set up faster than my kite mate.

I think leaving the bar attached introduces at least as much complexity as it removes. I did it a bit when I rode foils, I do not do it at all with LEI.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nico » Mon May 21, 2012 4:38 am

Been leaving my bars attached since the beginning (1998)
and the only other guy I ever saw doing it too was Jaime Heriaz.
I sell my kites complete to, with the reasoning that you will hardly ever be able to resell your kite without a bar (how likely is it to find a guy with a correct bar looking for a S H kite ?)
I also teach how to tackle a tangle at launch problem should a mistake have been made.
I don't even need a beach to launch thanks to this method.
Works magic for me.
Nico

zDad
Rare Poster
Local Beach: habo ljung, south sweden; maccarese, rome italy; pozzallo, sicily-italy
Gear: cabrinha SB3 8, 12; wainman rabitt 6,5, 9
Been thanked: 0

Postby zDad » Mon May 21, 2012 11:27 am

I use one bar for 2-3 kites. I compromise: I land my kite, make the bar and once I reach the kite I use a strap to line-up the lines and keep them in order (read it on the forum 1-2 yrs ago) I detach the line and pack the kite. NExt time I attach the line, wind out lines, check quickly for twisting and launch. 99% of time I am faster than anyone else, for what it matters.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon May 21, 2012 11:59 am

I normally keep them connected on the 2 lightwind kites.

Its easy enough to wind them onto the bar if I can drop the kite on the water at the end of a session.

It also means that the process can be reversed to drift launch the kite. Its a bit more difficult to check that all pulleys are moving freely but if the kiteleash is on the pump attachment loop, it can be done. You also have to make sure that the bar does not go through the bridle when handling the kite.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon May 21, 2012 1:02 pm

fokiten wrote: Kiting is about being prepared...
Exactly.....Greetings DR.Fokiten!
.................A Global Thermonuclear War of Words would have no winner just like Tic-Tac-Toe
.................How about a nice game of........Chess

I am saying that precision packing with lines "on" is 100% reliable when time comes to launching
Navy seals pack their chutes precisely with lines "on" and jump out of perfectly good airplanes :D
So it is all about precision and attention to details

Hey in the end to each his own "but" if you are open for something new i'll be glad to help :thumb:

..........2,600 self launches "attached" and -0- crossed lines...... :surf: :sun: .....................

fokiten
Frequent Poster

Postby fokiten » Mon May 21, 2012 4:50 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
fokiten wrote: Kiting is about being prepared...
Exactly.....Greetings DR.Fokiten!
.................A Global Thermonuclear War of Words would have no winner just like Tic-Tac-Toe
.................How about a nice game of........Chess

I am saying that precision packing with lines "on" is 100% reliable when time comes to launching
Navy seals pack their chutes precisely with lines "on" and jump out of perfectly good airplanes :D
So it is all about precision and attention to details

Hey in the end to each his own "but" if you are open for something new i'll be glad to help :thumb:

..........2,600 self launches "attached" and -0- crossed lines...... :surf: :sun: .....................
well, I actually leave my lines on my kite too, and no I don't leave the bar outside the bag...

I fold my wing tips twice over the center throw the bar on the leading edge, and roll the bitch from front to back edge...

If I self launch I'll rig the kite take off the rear lines---position the bar where it needs to be to launch and walk the rear lines back to the kite, (where my board is...then sand the kite,check the pulleys etc.. walk my board back to the bar and Launch...

Knowing 100% my lines are clear...to each his own. I feel good about being thorough..

And may I say you guys who skip this step are playing Russian Roulette to some extent...

Not much risk you say, but I'd suggest it doesn't take much at all...

Best
fokiten

PS, sure the front lines may have a few twists still, but you can loop those out once on the water---or leave them it really doesn't hurt anything

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon May 21, 2012 5:28 pm

The one time it caused a problem for me was when turning the kite over and the bar swung through between the lines without me noticing.

I try to make sure that doesn't happen now.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon May 21, 2012 6:47 pm

fokiten wrote: well, I actually leave my lines on my kite too, and no I don't leave the bar outside the bag...

I fold my wing tips twice over the center throw the bar on the leading edge, and roll the bitch from front to back edge...
Sorry you misunderstood me....(or you did a typo and meant to write "kite")
I did not say leave the bar outside the "bag"
I said leave the bar outside the "kite"(2ft in front of LE) and never roll the kite with the bar in "it"

That way with bar out of the kite you can service (rinse) easily the safety quick release system
So keep bar/lines out of kite...and "all" the complete set-up can go into the bag :D :thumb:

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon May 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Doesn't Matter if the bar stays ON the kite or comes Off ; as
long as Ya got a system for dealing with both.

Shouldn't Matter if you have more than one system ; some of my kites are 4-line
like the PL ram-airs and my 2010 Ozone Edge and all the foil kites, some are 5-line like my
2008 --- 11M & 13M Ozone Edges. I have a system for Each & Every kite and
sometimes the lines stay ON sometimes they come OFF .

The end result will be
that Every kite is checked for frayed lines & Tangles before use while the kite is belly down
and the lines are stretched out behind usually down wind, unless it's a foil then it
gets weighted down by the TE with available rock or sand, (even if i bring my own)
and the bar or handles are anchored up wind.

I end up here on "Every" assembly
weather or not the lines were On or Off before that point , so everything gets checked
the same way each time before use for 4 or 5 line kites. Sounds like --SupaEZ--
does the same but with the bar & lines "In-front" and Up wind of the kite. His system
differs from My system but it is "HIS SYSTEM" and just as Correct as Mine !!

If it's a Kite boarding kite, i will then roll up the lines on the bar so a beach-goer
won't drive over them .
If there's sharp rocks or broken glass on the beach i will roll up the lines then
unroll them while i walk to the spot where i stand for launch, just so i don't drag the lines
over anything that might cut them.
Why take the time to do that ?
Ever had a line break while out on the water ?

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”