darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Always lines "on" on all your kites ??

Postby darippah » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:54 am

Im about to convert to just one bar for all kites-sell my other bars to buy an electric pump. Same time to get on the water if you keep lines sorted and no effort required - id probably end up with extra $$$ in my pocket too!

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windybrit » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:52 am

Not a bad idea to keep things simple by using just one bar..... BUT, the only things that break are those for which you have no spares , Nota bene :)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:19 am

SupaEZ wrote:As an Optician for over 25 years it is in my nature to measure and calculate on a daily basis......
Patients center pupils positions....frames sizes...optical lenses powers,curves,thicknesses etc....

So today it has been 13 years 3 months that i started kiting (Feb 25 1999)
And i have some interesting numbers (i think)

To be conservative let's say on a 30 day month i kited 15 days /month since beginning
And i go out on average for 1.5 hrs at the time
With lines always "on" i can get on the water 3 minutes faster than anyone with lines "off"

It's in your nature to measure and calculate? But you say, "...let's say ..."? Don't you know? Don't you keep records? Any attempt to estimate your kiting figures will be outrageously wrong. People kite far less than they think they do.

BTW. I prefer to disconnect. I like to wash my bar and lines in fresh water after every use. I have a bar for each kite to a) spread the wear, b) ensure that I have a bar and kite in each bag, c) as backup, and d) allows different tuning options. Small kite with a long bar is joyous.

I use a simplified version of the Brett Lickle method. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_FxYkg1vZc

It's simplified because I don't bother with keeping the ends managed so I can connect. I just link them together and wrap up. Linking the ends avoids those annoying little tangles with the pig tails. Not being too neat avoids all the stuffing around of being too neat.

Even leaving your bar attached you still have to check the lines at each end. If you don't check the lines then you're a dangerous fool. Your actual saving would be no more than 30 seconds on each setup (I estimate :D see above)

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:49 am

I leave the lines on. I also WASH the bar and lines each time. So what's that got to do with the Price of a Fish? Oh, and I ck my lines unwrapping and wrapping each sesh for a total of 2 line checks each sesh.

:happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :housewife: :housewife:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:34 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Even leaving your bar attached you still have to check the lines at each end. If you don't check the lines then you're a dangerous fool.
Yesterday was 232 days of kitesurfing so far this year lines on...98% waves...2% river...0% danger

If you have done more days than that...
....then you are allowed to trow at my head your bar & lines that you detach every time :rollgrin:

Return to “Kitesurfing”