Forum for kitesurfers
cabron
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dynabar V7 sizing, which one to get?

Postby cabron » Mon May 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi,

before my holiday trip I need to buy the Dynabar, however, there are two lengths, 29 and 34 cms. Which one should I choose then? I am wearing 35" jeans and I will get seat harness (North Performer), but it hasn't arrived yet and I can't check the measurements beforehand, and I need to order the bar now to get it to my trip.

Help appreciated!

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dynabar V7 sizing, which one to get?

Postby davesails7 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:20 pm

I wear a size small harness, 31" waist. I had an old version of the dynabar in the Large size. Got a new Dynabar V6 in the smaller size, but I wish I would've gotten the larger one. The larger one gives you a larger range of motion of the hook which is the whole reason you buy the thing! Small size still works, but I might need to upgrade.

If you have 35" waist, I'd definitely go with the larger dynabar.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Mon May 21, 2012 1:29 pm

cabron wrote:Hi,

before my holiday trip I need to buy the Dynabar, however, there are two lengths, 29 and 34 cms. Which one should I choose then? I am wearing 35" jeans and I will get seat harness (North Performer), but it hasn't arrived yet and I can't check the measurements beforehand, and I need to order the bar now to get it to my trip.

Help appreciated!
Check the harness and look at the spreader , this is the part that you will replace so make sure it is the right size. Also you might want to check if that harness model is compatible with the dynabar.

I have a mystic Force shield and this harness has two straps that prevent i from going upward. There was no place on the dynabar to fit those two straps so I had to modified the dynabar myself.

Where you see the white tape I had a shop put double stitches on each strap.

PS: I was lucky to have an extra spreader bar from another mystic force shield on hand.

PS2 : If you want to save a couple of bucks. Buy the dynabar V6 which includes; the ski rope, the ProWave Slider and the Freeride Slider. On the V7 you have to pay an extra 35$ for each.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon May 21, 2012 1:30 pm

I use the smaller Dynabar.
I'm an M-size man.. pants 30"max.. so I think the bigger for the 35" will be good.
S-M: smaller Dynabar, L-XXL: bigger Dynabar.

mocolombo
Frequent Poster

Postby mocolombo » Mon May 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Jumarcil,

I am thinking to buy the same as you, force shield + dynabar V7. Could you comment how does it performe?

Regards,

Marcello

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Mon May 21, 2012 5:05 pm

davesails7 wrote:I wear a size small harness, 31" waist. I had an old version of the dynabar in the Large size. Got a new Dynabar V6 in the smaller size, but I wish I would've gotten the larger one. The larger one gives you a larger range of motion of the hook which is the whole reason you buy the thing! Small size still works, but I might need to upgrade.

If you have 35" waist, I'd definitely go with the larger dynabar.
What davesails said...totally agree. Wider is better if it wors with your harness.

The only caveat is that a few harness designs do have limits on the distance between the clasps. So good to check on this if you can. Maybe you can get specs from North (or a dealer) on the North spreader bar and/or the distance between clasps when fully tightened.

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Wed May 23, 2012 10:02 pm

I wear 32 jeans..usually something trendy like Buffalo or True Religion... :thumb:

anywho

I would get the bigger one. That's what I got and it covers hip to hip. I have this on a pair of nitrous shorts and the only issue is because of it's width there is allot of extra strap hanging down after cinching up. But as they say..the more strap the merrier. :allbegood:

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Thu May 24, 2012 3:01 am

mocolombo wrote:Jumarcil,

I am thinking to buy the same as you, force shield + dynabar V7. Could you comment how does it performe?

Regards,

Marcello
Actually I tried it twice since I bought it. At first I bought it for winter kiting with skis but I just got a brand new surf so I might install it back this week-end. It takes a bit of adjustment at first but nothing major. I was a bit scared of how it would react during big air but it doesn't make a big difference actually. I ride kites with a short depower throw but if you ride kites with longer depower throw like cabrinhas you might want to have longer arms since it adds maybe 2 or 3 inches in length. I really like the way how it slides from side to side though. I think it will be really nice for surfing.

Jules

snowycarter
Medium Poster

Postby snowycarter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 am

Hi there, I have 32" Nitrous shorts that are probably about 1 inch or so too big (got them from a mate), currently i use the small Dakine Pivot bar that is 8 inches wide and is on a small size bar pad from Dakine (say's 6 inches).

I want to switch to the Dynabar so i can ride more comfortably in the surf toeside (mainly riding a surfboard). Presently (with an 8" Pivot bar) i kind of crank the straps very tight to make it a tight fit and there not really (maybe an inch max) to make it a tighter fit.

I am not even sure if a Dynabar is going to work with this harness as the small is 11 inch–29 cm.... Does anyone have any experience with this. Seems that cuz the Nitrous shorts allready have like an extra inch of buckle either side to clip the spread bar in that it is kind of difficult...

Really appreciate any suggestions on this one....

Thanks

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:33 am

Dynabar is probably the best piece of gear I own for kiting!!!! If you are in the Clydesdale division, it makes Riding Toeside a piece of :happybirthday: cake!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”