Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Custom Kitesurfboard by Ashton surf Design.. amped !

Forum for kitesurfers
spleeft
Medium Poster
Style: Waves
Gear: North Vegas, surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Custom Kitesurfboard by Ashton surf Design.. amped !

Postby spleeft » Mon May 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Lots of people looking and asking about directionals here so i thought I'd give a shout out to Ashton Surf Design for doing such a great job on shaping my new board.
I'm ~205lbs, and have been wave kiting for 6 years now...and i have not found a wave board that really works well on a wave so I 've been using regular surfboards for years,( CI Flyer current ). I've had and tried many big company production boards that " are made with Carbon/Bamboo construction adding durability and performance ! " and " Can be ridden strapped or unstrapped ! " but they all seem to be too small, or have a wierd outline designed for upwind ability instead of ripping down a wave.
There are exeptions, yes, but overall, it just seems to be mostly marketing and hype thats out there..just confusing the wave newb looking for a thier first directional, and making it hard ( and expensive ) for the veteran wave rider to weed out the exceptional stamped producton boards from the garbage ones.
Bottom line.....If your a newb wanting to learn to ride in waves, concider paying ~100-200$ for any medium sized used surfboard that is preferably a tuflight ( but not necessary ) and just learn to ride and jibe the thing. Why pay 700 plus for something your not even sure what to do with !?!
And if your a seasoned vet or surfer whos just learning to kite, try a local shaper . They know how to build a surfboard that works in waves and just need a little input as to what your board needs to do for kiting...like go fast , or maybe have a little more volume if your a bigger person.
After riding this past weekend on my new custom kitesurfboard, I'm a changed man !! Thanks J.Ashton !!
http://www.ashtonsurfdesigns.com/about_us.html
ashton3.jpg
Custom Kitesurf board by J ashton

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Custom Kitesurfboard by Ashton surf Design.. amped !

Postby robertovillate » Mon May 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Nice looking board!

I've got a 5/8 Lost RNF (Aviso) that looks a lot like that. Indeed a great shape, very versatile and fun to ride.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon May 21, 2012 11:09 pm

spleeft wrote: There are exeptions, yes, but overall, it just seems to be mostly marketing and hype thats out there..just confusing the wave newb looking for a thier first directional, and making it hard ( and expensive ) for the veteran wave rider to weed out the exceptional stamped producton boards from the garbage ones.
Pardon me...I'm psyched that you are stoked with your board, but what is up with jabs on the kiting companies?

There are so many great really surfy boards out there also made by kiting companies.

I will bet you that many of the guys that make the surfboards are super committed to making the greatest surfboard for kiting there is. Making general comments on how production boards are all bad...or mostly bad is nonsense. Most of them are good. I have my preference. I would generally recommend going with boards that use shapers that have been in the game a while, which unfortunately leaves out a few brands, but beyond that figure out what you want to do, and what you want to use the board, then start looking at shapes.

You as a consumer have to learn how to spot a good shape. They are good for different things. You'll easily learn how to find a shape that will work for you and what you want to do. Anyone who starts out will find them selves in a the same trap...they will not be able to verbalize what they want and therefor give the shaper weak information. The result will be thereafter.

I agree that the Aipa-like shape that you have can work for a variety of conditions but that doesn't make all the other boards bad. They just work for different things.

Just be stoked about finding the magic one for you. I am 100% sure that as you develop you'll find this one little thing you whish your board would do better, and then the hunt for another board starts.

:-)
A.

spleeft
Medium Poster

Postby spleeft » Tue May 22, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks for the reply T,
"You as a consumer have to learn how to spot a good shape. They are good for different things. You'll easily learn how to find a shape that will work for you and what you want to do. Anyone who starts out will find them selves in a the same trap...they will not be able to verbalize what they want and therefor give the shaper weak information. The result will be thereafter. "

I know there are good shapers out there designing for some kite companies...J Amundson for example.....but in general , and I 'm talking about newb kiters learning to ride a directional for wave riding, most of the boards are overpriced and not all that great.
I guess if it sounds like I'm taking a stab at the big Kite companies, this is why . They take advantage of newb kiters, like any big company who knows how to market and make sales.
I might be stupid or not but I've wasted so much money on directionals over the years, because I saw a pro riding this "new fangle" board that was the latest /badest /new model or whatever......meanwhile, for me, who was just learning to jibe well, ride strapless, in the ocean, all I or anyone needs is an old used surf board that will cost less than $200.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue May 22, 2012 11:40 am

While I think you have a point in some respect I also think there are plenty good reasons for why kiters should pick boards that are made for kiting...

First prices aren't outrageous. By the time you have a good set of fins pads strap etc.your off the rack surftech will be more than a kite specific board.
Ive seen pellet say just get one off craigslist...ive also been offered buckled boards on cl...a beginner would not be able to spot them...

My point isn't that people shouldn't get it there or get s custom it is that they should make informed decisions when they make a move.

Sorry to take this thread away from your stoke. Congrats on the board it looks killer :)

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Tue May 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Plus you can get unused last years models or even a year before that on sale at really small prices (at least in Germany). Shapes do not evolve dramatically and especially as beginner you won´t notice. E.g. top kitesurf boards from Naish or North 2010/2011 unused cost around 350 to 450 Euros.

spleeft
Medium Poster

Postby spleeft » Tue May 22, 2012 1:10 pm

All good replies ! No stoke taken away ! and I'd love to discuss the details on my board at some point.
I guess this thread has morphed into two separate threads
1. If you have been wave riding for a while and have tried lots of production boards...concider going to a local shaper for your next board.....I had to work with mine to make sure it was conducive to kiting......durability/volume/speed/made for my weight.....but he was the one to shape it to rip on my typical local waves . It supports the local economy, and is about the same price.
And i will admit...it was years before I even thought I could tell someone what I wanted, because I just didnt know.

2. If your a newb to waves and directionals, before you drop $700, or even $400-$500 on an older (new ) model.....see if there is a beat up surftec / tuflite/ or even poly board thats available . and I'll just add, straps are waaayyy over rated !

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Tue May 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Horses for courses. I like my straps:
a) I am a weekend warrior and really mastering strapless riding is out of reach for me timewise. I love to see Ian Allridge shredding strapless, but for me...out of reach.
b) 20 years background waveriding with a windsurfer. I still like boosting using the waves going out and waveriding going in. I enjoy things like doing a tweaked table top. That is somewhat easier with straps...

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Tue May 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Spleeft, throw down some specs.
So there are a bunch of good production boards from kite companies. Bet if you tried a couple in surfboard construction you would agree with me the shapes are good. Construction seems to be the
limitation and takes some fun out of it but if you need them to last you need to build them strong.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue May 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Spleeft

Cost for that Ashton board you showed?
and how much to ship?

Return to “Kitesurfing”