Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Custom Kitesurfboard by Ashton surf Design.. amped !

Forum for kitesurfers
spleeft
Medium Poster
Style: Waves
Gear: North Vegas, surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Custom Kitesurfboard by Ashton surf Design.. amped !

Postby spleeft » Tue May 22, 2012 7:14 pm

6'1" x 19 1/4" x 2 3/4
Carbon rails, Hi density foam deck, weight came out perfect. This was Ashtons first kite specific surf board, and I think he got some Ideas from some shapers in Hatty. When he told me he did a little research and talked to those guys, i felt real confident it would come out good.
I wanted a short board ( short to me that is,I'm 6'2 x 205 lbs ), that still has some volume, that would be capable of fast speeds and surf the wave as well as my Channel Island 6'3" Flyer. I wanted a board that I could break the fins free a little easier when I felt like it, so he put the 5 fins set up on it....road the quad set up last weekend and really loved it. Conditions were East coast Nor Easter conditions knarley and bumpy with big clean wave faces here and there. I was surprised how the chop was handle-able . Just when I thought I would pearl or dig the nose in, the board would pull through nicley...
ashton2.jpg
Ashton 2.1

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Thu May 24, 2012 3:37 pm

So what is the price tag then? (with good fin set)
Last edited by robertovillate on Thu May 24, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Thu May 24, 2012 4:55 pm

I've been using surfboards for over 5 years now (mostly strapless) and think that the difference of opion on this subject has got a lot to do with weight. As with lots of stuf, most surfboards are shaped for the average Joe, and Joe is not 205/6.1 (like I am as well).

So there are a lot of good boards around and (in my opinion) since 2 years even for heavier riders, but outstanding boards are still rare. And that's OK, because we are usually average skilled: it's not the board, but is us. At the same time, I love custom boards, it can bring you what you want and like and yes, even being moderate or average, you can feel the difference between boards.

On the "taking advantage" subject: I disagree, everyone can think for himself and think of the second hand / surf / last year options. Most people just love a new board!

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri May 25, 2012 5:15 am

Spleeft,
That front pad looks like its too far forward. ???
Just M O , I noticed that my front foot is usually around midships for best rides on a wave.
Nico

spleeft
Medium Poster
Style: Waves
Gear: North Vegas, surfboards

Postby spleeft » Fri May 25, 2012 12:44 pm

...Its killing me that I cant get these pics to be upright..sorry !

Robert......You'd have to contact Jon Ashton, but with a standard fin set, and similar construction method, I would say he'd charge around $800.

Magic...I agree with the weight issue.....its a big factor in choosing the factory models. And I also agree that people can decide for themselves.....I'm not putting blame on big companies, they need to make a buck too. Of all the people I give that advice too ( just find a used surfboard to learn on ), most end up buying a spankin' new bamboo, super awsum piece of artwork to learn to jib on anyway! I been there !

Nico.... I slapped those deck pads on so quick....it was blowin 25 with over head waves !! My front foot seems to be about half on the deck pad when ripping on the wave....almost feels nice with thicker pads that I used, but your right, I could have placed them a few inches farther back.
However, at high speeds in choppy conditions, my front foot was right on it....
Its definitely better than gobbing wax on it every hour !! and ending up with a big "hillside " of wax ! You know what I'm talkin' bout !
Looks like light wind and clean small waves the next few days....hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out in these conditions.
ashton5.JPG
ashton4
Attachments
ashton1_sm.jpg
ashton6
ashton1_sm.jpg (97.04 KiB) Viewed 791 times

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Fri May 25, 2012 4:25 pm

spleeft wrote: Robert......You'd have to contact Jon Ashton, but with a standard fin set, and similar construction method, I would say he'd charge around $800.
Seems reasonable for a custom board with kiting strength build and the 5 boxes. It's definitely worth a few extra bucks to have a durable board that will not delam after a few hard sessions or ding super easy...AND a good shape.

I agree the choice of going with a good custom board from a good shaper who understands your needs can be the ticket. I think it's hard for most manufacturers to build boards for all rider weights/preferences and they are probably more focused on average weight riders. And agree that, just like with the kite, the performance depends a lot on the skill of the rider...but a good shape will allow an average rider to do better with it, progress faster, and have more fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”