Forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: Lifejacket or no lifejacket?

Postby dyyylan » Thu May 31, 2012 9:01 pm

no reason to wear one in my opinion unless you are trying to cross the ocean

just don't be stupid about how far you go away from the shore and you will be fine. when you crash the kite pulls you up. even if you crash the kite, unless the wind completely dies it will be pulling you a bit and you dont have to swim at all.

i have had to self rescue or just swim in several times when i had a less reliable kite and i have never seen a circumstance when a lifejacket would have been useful to me, except to get in the way of riding and spinning

that said, if i was doing a crossing or riding a long distance from the beach for an extended period of time it would be stupid not to wear one, but i don't have a thing for throwing tricks in the middle of the ocean so it's not an issue for me.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:16 pm

dyyylan wrote:just don't be stupid about how far you go away from the shore and you will be fine. when you crash the kite pulls you up. even if you crash the kite, unless the wind completely dies it will be pulling you a bit and you dont have to swim at all.
How does the kite pull you up even if it crashes? Or are you just saying it will pull you to shore?

The one time I was really glad I had one, I was maybe 200 or 300 meters off the beach at the end of a long session, went to jump and pulled a muscle in my leg and crashed the kite and lost the board all at the same time. It was light, so it took a while to relaunch and I then body dragged to shore. Would I have died if I didn't have the life jacket, no. Did it make the situation much easier with it on, yes.

For me, the real reason to wear a lifejacket is in case you get injurred.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dyyylan » Thu May 31, 2012 10:02 pm

davesails7 wrote:
dyyylan wrote:just don't be stupid about how far you go away from the shore and you will be fine. when you crash the kite pulls you up. even if you crash the kite, unless the wind completely dies it will be pulling you a bit and you dont have to swim at all.
How does the kite pull you up even if it crashes? Or are you just saying it will pull you to shore?
I don't really know, I guess it's because it's pulling you downwind enough that it keeps you afloat. I've spent 0 energy in the water as long as im attached to a kite, unless i need to roll my lines up and swim in

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Thu May 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Well, if you are in your late teens or early twenties, you don't need one because you are smart enough not to get in any kind of unpredicted scenario, and if anything were to go unplanned, usually because of something somebody else did to you, you are strong enough and smart enough to save yourself. You can probably just walk on the water back to shore. Maybe even wave and wink at the hot chicks who are watching you all the time while you do it, kinda like The Hoff.

Now, if you are in your late 20's or older, you should likely find one that fits and works for you. A PFD would make it a lot easier to spend any amount of time in the water, especially if you are hurt somehow, as that can start to happen as you get older. You will also find, as you get older, that a PDF in no way inhibits your ability to ride or messes with your awesomeness anymore, like it did when you were younger.

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king

Postby Rando1994 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:41 pm

I wear one all the time. Promotion impact vest. Company out of the Gorge in Oregon. Comfy, floaty, and you never have to worry about swimming to stay afloat. Your kite will not keep you floating if it's in the water.

celly
Medium Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: 145 Cab Rival with 2010 Sync Bindings
2012 14m LF NRG light breeze

Postby celly » Thu May 31, 2012 10:59 pm

The Captain wrote:Well, if you are in your late teens or early twenties, you don't need one because you are smart enough not to get in any kind of unpredicted scenario, and if anything were to go unplanned, usually because of something somebody else did to you, you are strong enough and smart enough to save yourself. You can probably just walk on the water back to shore. Maybe even wave and wink at the hot chicks who are watching you all the time while you do it, kinda like The Hoff.

Now, if you are in your late 20's or older, you should likely find one that fits and works for you. A PFD would make it a lot easier to spend any amount of time in the water, especially if you are hurt somehow, as that can start to happen as you get older. You will also find, as you get older, that a PDF in no way inhibits your ability to ride or messes with your awesomeness anymore, like it did when you were younger.

HAHAHA well I'm 22 and a lifeguard so I think im set :thumb:

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:08 pm

dyyylan wrote:no reason to wear one in my opinion unless you are trying to cross the ocean

just don't be stupid about how far you go away from the shore and you will be fine. when you crash the kite pulls you up. even if you crash the kite, unless the wind completely dies it will be pulling you a bit and you dont have to swim at all.

i have had to self rescue or just swim in several times when i had a less reliable kite and i have never seen a circumstance when a lifejacket would have been useful to me, except to get in the way of riding and spinning

that said, if i was doing a crossing or riding a long distance from the beach for an extended period of time it would be stupid not to wear one, but i don't have a thing for throwing tricks in the middle of the ocean so it's not an issue for me.
On river systems that have good side shore winds you don't have to go more than 30 ft from shore to get yourself in trouble... if the kite crashes you're going down wind a long way if you don't get relaunched quick.

A LEI kite with it's LE in water will pull you hard down wind and there is zero upward force. You have to fight to keep your head above water until you can relaunch and this could take a while if your lines/bridals are tangled. A PFD is really helpful in that scenario especially when you're starting out.

If you're a 9 to 5 kiter and kite in less than ideal conditions and locations then a PFD makes good sense. If you kite in nice shallow warm water lagoons then a pfd might not be worth it.

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 pm

The Captain wrote:Well, if you are in your late teens or early twenties, you don't need one because you are smart enough not to get in any kind of unpredicted scenario, and if anything were to go unplanned, usually because of something somebody else did to you, you are strong enough and smart enough to save yourself. You can probably just walk on the water back to shore. Maybe even wave and wink at the hot chicks who are watching you all the time while you do it, kinda like The Hoff.

Further to my previous post...

Wasn't picking on that age group. It is just a simple fact that the risk half of the risk reward area in their brains is not fully developed until the mid 20's. I know, i've been there. They will all grow up to gain a different perspective. Nothing new.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dyyylan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:37 am

frankm1960 wrote:
A LEI kite with it's LE in water will pull you hard down wind and there is zero upward force. You have to fight to keep your head above water until you can relaunch and this could take a while if your lines/bridals are tangled.
Really? because I crash my kite like this all the time with boots on and lie back while relaunching my kite. and i live in florida, so i'm only using the flotation from my boardshorts and harness.

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick

Postby MattyRossJa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:17 am

my vest saved me BIG TIME 2 weeks ago ..... wiped out big time and got swept over some shallow rock , fucked up my hand with urchins , luckily instead of having my legs and chest get dragged over the rocks and urchins , the vest kept me right up on the surface and dragged me to safety to the other side of the shallows . if i didnt have the vest on i would have had urchin spines all over my chest , stomach , and thighs and probably some other places ughhhhh

if i'm just doing a simple freeride , i wont wear one , but they do come in hand , like someone said already saves u a lottttt of energy when shit goes wrong

Return to “Kitesurfing”