Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New to forum, help please

Postby redman333 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:33 am

TheJoe wrote:
edt wrote:i kite everywhere there are literally thousands of launches in mi, here are some I go to

http://goo.gl/maps/5C30K

Hmm. I need to update my map I have some new places I just scoped out last weekend. Anyway, contact the local kiters they will tell you the best places.

Milkwaukee is too far from my stomping grounds not sure what you have there, I'm sure there are plenty of awesome spots.
Whats the best time during the summer to kite up there. I plan on visiting sometime this year and would like to bring some gear. I only come home when it's in the middle of the summer as I can not tolerate the cold anymore.
Well I can't give you much info on when's the best time to kite since I personally haven't even ridden yet. As far as temps the weather gets nice by may. The water usually is really warm by July 4th but it can fluctuate depending on when the currents come in. The big thing with OBX though is that there is the sound side and I went out there in June last summer and the sound side was like bath water but the ocean side was still pretty chilly. I plan on going out there to ride probably in may with a spring wetsuit on to learn to ride.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:33 am

I was actually asking about Mi kiting lol. OBX would be an awsome trip but need to go home and see the family back in Grayling.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 pm

I'm from Southwestern Ontario, which is pretty much the same as MI. Anyhow, the best time is Fall, Rocktober is by far the best month, but if you are coming to visit in the summer then I would aim for later on in August or Early on in June, July is often a dry month for us.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Laughingman wrote:I'm from Southwestern Ontario, which is pretty much the same as MI. Anyhow, the best time is Fall, Rocktober is by far the best month, but if you are coming to visit in the summer then I would aim for later on in August or Early on in June, July is often a dry month for us.
October :( that is too damn cold for me! August is all ready set for Brazil. Looks like June (still a little too cold for me lol). Hmm guess I will just have to play it by ear and see if I get lucky when I go.

redman333
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA

Postby redman333 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Okay I have some questions now. I finally got my method 3m trainer kite and I tried to fly it in an open field in its 2 line setup but didn't have a ton of wind but really wanted to try it anyway. I was able to get it in the air but couldn't keep her flying. So I went to the beach and they had about a 15mph wind there but it would die down to around 8mph or so every once in a while.

I was able to launch the kite pretty good. I did wreck it a couple of times before I got the hang of it. Once I figured it out I was able to fly it for about 2 hours straight never putting it down except once. I swooped it a little too low and it picked up some grass sticks in the bridle and was still flying but was a little weak so I landed it, removed the grass and put her back in the sky. It was a blast flying it. It has more poer than I had expected.

Now my question. When I watch the kiteboarding videos I see everyone just parking the kite in the sky and riding it there. They don't have to work the kite much. I was trying to fly my trainer that way since I'm wanting to use the trainer as close to the way I'd use my full size but it didn't want to be "parked". It would drift up to the 12'oclock position or over to the edge of the wind window and if I let it keep going without turning the kite it would eventually fall out of the sky. Is this normal for a trainer to do this or am I doing something wrong.

I have to fly the kite in figure 8s most of the time I can't just leave it. I tried flying the kite blind. I was able to do that based on feel alone pretty good but couldn't fly with one hand, it was too strong. I started off flying the kite with my hands at the edge of the bar and once I got the hang of it I moved my hands close to see if I could give myself a slower moving kite feel like a full size would be. It worked pretty good so far. I think I'm going to schedule lessons in mid may in the outer banks. Ill just practice at the beach everyday when I get off work for an hour or so until then.

Is there anything I should be practicing with the trainer also until I take my lessons. Once I'm a little better and we get some good wind I plan on hooking the kite up to my 4 line and trying it that way but based on what I've already experienced I will need a decent amount of wind for that.

Also I wanted to take video but since I had to go to the beach I didn't have someone able to come with to take video for me. I'm hoping next time I go ill be able to get some video.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:43 pm

Yes you have to keep moving a trainer. I would say you have all ready out grown it all so. For better practice get a mountain board and ride it up and down the beach. This will help a lot more than just standing there and flying the kite. You will get bored of that pretty quick.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:00 pm

TheJoe wrote:Yes you have to keep moving a trainer. I would say you have all ready out grown it all so. For better practice get a mountain board and ride it up and down the beach. This will help a lot more than just standing there and flying the kite. You will get bored of that pretty quick.
Already out grow it? I've only had it in the air for a couple hours. I've been watching some videos online for trainer kites and I think I need some more wind and some more practice flying it to one side of the wind window. When I was flying the trainer today I was flying it in a big figure 8 right in the power zone straight downwind of me. I did fly a little back and forth to the left and to the right but not too much.

I don't think I want to buy any more equipment just to learn, if I were to do that I'd rather just buy a full wetsuit and get on with my lessons. I already have a spring suit I will be using for my lesson in may since the water will still be pretty chilly then but I don't want to wait any longer than that.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:03 pm

redman333 wrote:Okay I have some questions now. I finally got my method 3m trainer kite and I tried to fly it in an open field in its 2 line setup but didn't have a ton of wind but really wanted to try it anyway. I was able to get it in the air but couldn't keep her flying. So I went to the beach and they had about a 15mph wind there but it would die down to around 8mph or so every once in a while.

I was able to launch the kite pretty good. I did wreck it a couple of times before I got the hang of it. Once I figured it out I was able to fly it for about 2 hours straight never putting it down except once. I swooped it a little too low and it picked up some grass sticks in the bridle and was still flying but was a little weak so I landed it, removed the grass and put her back in the sky. It was a blast flying it. It has more poer than I had expected.

Now my question. When I watch the kiteboarding videos I see everyone just parking the kite in the sky and riding it there. They don't have to work the kite much. I was trying to fly my trainer that way since I'm wanting to use the trainer as close to the way I'd use my full size but it didn't want to be "parked". It would drift up to the 12'oclock position or over to the edge of the wind window and if I let it keep going without turning the kite it would eventually fall out of the sky. Is this normal for a trainer to do this or am I doing something wrong.

I have to fly the kite in figure 8s most of the time I can't just leave it. I tried flying the kite blind. I was able to do that based on feel alone pretty good but couldn't fly with one hand, it was too strong. I started off flying the kite with my hands at the edge of the bar and once I got the hang of it I moved my hands close to see if I could give myself a slower moving kite feel like a full size would be. It worked pretty good so far. I think I'm going to schedule lessons in mid may in the outer banks. Ill just practice at the beach everyday when I get off work for an hour or so until then.

Is there anything I should be practicing with the trainer also until I take my lessons. Once I'm a little better and we get some good wind I plan on hooking the kite up to my 4 line and trying it that way but based on what I've already experienced I will need a decent amount of wind for that.

Also I wanted to take video but since I had to go to the beach I didn't have someone able to come with to take video for me. I'm hoping next time I go ill be able to get some video.
Figure 8s are good practice, now switch the direction so that when the kite is making the loop instead of going up at the edge of the window it is going down. We call this a down loop... It will give you a different perspective and give you skills to keep the kite flying in light winds....
Keep your hands close to center of the bar... Good habit to learn now.
Another thing you can do is practice a water launch... But on the beach... Sit down in the sand as if you had a board on... Bring the kite to 1 pm and dive it across the window and see if you can get the kite to pull you into a standing position... This is how you water start. Keep at it... Yes it will get boring but you are learning key skills and will be thankful once you take a lesson that you spend the time to do this.
Pete

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:19 pm

redman333 wrote:
TheJoe wrote:Yes you have to keep moving a trainer. I would say you have all ready out grown it all so. For better practice get a mountain board and ride it up and down the beach. This will help a lot more than just standing there and flying the kite. You will get bored of that pretty quick.
Already out grow it? I've only had it in the air for a couple hours. I've been watching some videos online for trainer kites and I think I need some more wind and some more practice flying it to one side of the wind window. When I was flying the trainer today I was flying it in a big figure 8 right in the power zone straight downwind of me. I did fly a little back and forth to the left and to the right but not too much.

I don't think I want to buy any more equipment just to learn, if I were to do that I'd rather just buy a full wetsuit and get on with my lessons. I already have a spring suit I will be using for my lesson in may since the water will still be pretty chilly then but I don't want to wait any longer than that.
The difference will be you will be flying the kite to generate power while keeping it in the air all while actually having fun and getting experience with a kite. It is one thing to stand on a beach and do figure 8's and loops. It's another to it while going down a beach on a board.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:44 pm

TheJoe wrote:
redman333 wrote:

The difference will be you will be flying the kite to generate power while keeping it in the air all while actually having fun and getting experience with a kite. It is one thing to stand on a beach and do figure 8's and loops. It's another to it while going down a beach on a board.
I understand what your saying but my thing is if I'm going to put more money into learning at this point I'd rather just go ahead and get a wetsuit and get my lessons then I can just ride the full size kite instead of still learning on the beach with a mountian board. I'd rather be in the water instead of on the beach personally. I'm more so looking for more things I can do to learn with my existing setup. I may look silly but I'd be willing to run up and down the beach if it helps me learn something that will get me to a full size kite sooner.

Return to “Kitesurfing”