New to forum, help please

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New to forum, help please

Postby tautologies » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:35 pm

redman333 wrote:
Call me stubborn or stupid but I want to try to teach my self. I've watched a ton of instructional videos including reals and think I have an understanding of what to do. I am a very very quick learnt when it comes to these sort of things and I take my time.
If I had a penny for everytime I have heard that...and see someone got lofted into a tree.
With that said if anyone here has anything info for me other than take lessons, please post it.
Sorry no. Take a lesson. We don't care as much about you as we do about people around you. So if you have a spot where no one else is around hey go for it. Have a ball.
Any tips or tricks that can help a newbie learn as quick as possible.
Yes Thank you for asking.
Best way to learn fast....in order of importance.

Tip #1 Take a lesson.
Tip #2 Take a lesson.
Tip #3 Take a lesson.

..here is why: Most kiters don't want you to be the cause that you hurt someone else or get their spot banned.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm being realistic here ; exactly What do you hope to learn from your
$150 rental in one day ? Ya said you want to buy a New kite but don't
want to purchase lessons ; you really think that is a strategically sound move
and wise investment ??

The money you save on decent, "Used" gear, could net you some
really Good instruction. Why would you Want to trash a New kite
with all the beginner mistakes your about to make ?
redman333 wrote: ...
Another reason I decided not to use lessons is because a local trainer there actually told me that it used to be a good idea to get lessons but with the new equipment it's not too bad and someone could teach themselves pretty easily.
I'd like to know who said that to you, because :
Somebody is full of Fricken SH*T !!!

Bille

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:38 pm

It seems a bit like you are not being realistic about what you are going to accomplish.
Do you know what size to rent for the day you will be out there,...the answer is no.
What are you going to do after you put the kite up?....what is next? Do you know?
Are you going to have help to launch and land? ...help to put a board on your feet for the first time while you watch your kite and don't hurt yourself. Who is going to be there to grab your board the first time you fall down?..which will be in seconds.
You need a kite buddy if you don't want to pay for professional lessons.
Do you have a local crew to ride with where you live?
You would do well to buy a case of beer the first three times you show up at the local spot, and soon you will have a kite buddy.
But if that is not the case, you will piss off a lot of other kiters if you show up in OBX not knowing anything and try to put up a full sized inflatable kiteboarding kite and mess around until you hurt yourself or somebody else.
And as far as buying a new Liquid Force rig form Real, ...many here have done very well buying used gear for the first year or two kiteboarding, if not forever.
You will get a much better deal on used gear anyway, much better value for your dollar.
Go to ikitesurf.com and see how much good gear is available.

redman333
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up
Been thanked: 0

Postby redman333 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:29 am

Toby wrote:150 usd for a board rent???
Wow, I will get into the rent business!

Take the 150 usd and use it for a course!
Your medical will be too high ti go kiting in the long future.

Kiting costs some money, spend it or stay away!
Im not sure what you mean.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:39 am

Oldnbroken wrote:It seems a bit like you are not being realistic about what you are going to accomplish.
Do you know what size to rent for the day you will be out there,...the answer is no.
What are you going to do after you put the kite up?....what is next? Do you know?
Are you going to have help to launch and land? ...help to put a board on your feet for the first time while you watch your kite and don't hurt yourself. Who is going to be there to grab your board the first time you fall down?..which will be in seconds.
You need a kite buddy if you don't want to pay for professional lessons.
Do you have a local crew to ride with where you live?
You would do well to buy a case of beer the first three times you show up at the local spot, and soon you will have a kite buddy.
But if that is not the case, you will piss off a lot of other kiters if you show up in OBX not knowing anything and try to put up a full sized inflatable kiteboarding kite and mess around until you hurt yourself or somebody else.
And as far as buying a new Liquid Force rig form Real, ...many here have done very well buying used gear for the first year or two kiteboarding, if not forever.
You will get a much better deal on used gear anyway, much better value for your dollar.
Go to ikitesurf.com and see how much good gear is available.
Well I have done a lot of research and tried to learn as much as possible from what I can read and see in different instructionals and tutorials. I do know the different wind ranges plus I would go out and check the wing tips to see what the other liters are runny that day. Ill be honest I don't know of a place that's very open but I have a friend that lives there and he said hed take me to a real good remote place to try it. He's also wanting to get into the sport so he will be there helping me. He's never done it before but he can hang on to me and help me when I do fall. I didn't wake up this morning and get a wild thought and said hey, I'm gonna learn to kiteboard. I've been doing a lot of research for over a year now and very intently for the past few months as it got closer to summer. I do understand the strength these kites have and e dangers that come with them.

The only way I will take lessons is if I can find a good spot to learn(meaning open and free from people and obstacles). Other than that, I'm going to learn on my own or fail and take lessons anyway, and maybe purchase the broken gear I damage from real.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:45 am

tautologies wrote:
redman333 wrote:
Call me stubborn or stupid but I want to try to teach my self. I've watched a ton of instructional videos including reals and think I have an understanding of what to do. I am a very very quick learnt when it comes to these sort of things and I take my time.
If I had a penny for everytime I have heard that...and see someone got lofted into a tree.
With that said if anyone here has anything info for me other than take lessons, please post it.
Sorry no. Take a lesson. We don't care as much about you as we do about people around you. So if you have a spot where no one else is around hey go for it. Have a ball.

Tip #1 Take a lesson.
Tip #2 Take a lesson.
Tip #3 Take a lesson.

..here is why: Most kiters don't want you to be the cause that you hurt someone else or get their spot banned.
Call it false hope or whatever you'd like but I've taught myse
F how to do everything else I have learned and I did it by being cautious and careful and doing research on whatever it was I was learning. I take slow the first time and get a feel for things. There's usually steps you can take to every extreme spot.

I will probably be buying a trainer kite though. I plan on practicing with it until I have a really good feel for the trainer. Then when I fly the real thing I can do body drags to get a feel for the power of the full size kite. Once I'm comfortable with that then I will attempt everything with the board. This part I feel should be fairly easy compared to the rest due to me being in to every board sport out there. I have to learn more how to control the kite than to ride the board but we will see I guess.

I will try on my own, if it doesn't work out than I promise I will come back here and tell you all that said I need lessons that you were right.

With that said, any other info.

SO_FL_Kiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL; Juno Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Kitebeach, Biscayne Bay
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 15M LF Envy, 12M North Rebel, 11M SS Rev2, 10M North Rhino, 9M LF Session, Airush Sector, Naish Custom Global 6'2", Liquid Force 5'7" FCD, Cabrinha Custom 136, Crazyfly Raptor 132

Postby SO_FL_Kiter » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:18 am

Seriously dude, just take some lessons.

You think you understand the dangers, and you may understand some "absolutely do not do this" stuff (like never use a board leash, hook your front lines to the back of the kite, or put boardshorts over your wetsuit), but you have no reflexes to save your ass when you oversheet and stall the kite and then loop it trying to recover it before it crashes. Have fun doing that on the beach. And a friend who is as excited as you to learn the sport is going to add zero value to the equation in the above situation.

A coworker of mine took just one lesson, and then a couple months ago had another friend launch him at a spot that has some particular hazards. He was trying to keep the kite away from a tree and was making a rookie mistake of trying to fight the kite and fully powered it by sheeting the bar all the way in (remember: when in doubt, sheet it out). He ended up getting dragged into a retaining wall and was out of work for over 5 weeks with a broken tailbone and S4 vertebra. He was sure he was ready, and the guy is a top notch wakeboarder; he just didn't know how to handle a kite.

Tautologies has a very valid concern. Beaches everywhere are threatened by those who would like to see kite surfing banned or restricted. You take out some kid with your kite lines while you are getting used to flying the kite and you will have a whole social network of family and friends who are ready to start writing letters to their city councilmen about the imminent threat posed by kitesurfers to the safety and well being of families who are trying to enjoy the beach.

Best of luck...

Chris

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:17 am

redman333 wrote:
tautologies wrote:
redman333 wrote:

Tip #1 Take a lesson.
Tip #2 Take a lesson.
Tip #3 Take a lesson.

Call it false hope or whatever you'd like but I've taught myse
F how to do everything else I have learned and I did it by being cautious and careful and doing research on whatever it was I was learning. I take slow the first time and get a feel for things. There's usually steps you can take to every extreme spot.

I will probably be buying a trainer kite though. I plan on practicing with it until I have a really good feel for the trainer. Then when I fly the real thing I can do body drags to get a feel for the power of the full size kite. Once I'm comfortable with that then I will attempt everything with the board. This part I feel should be fairly easy compared to the rest due to me being in to every board sport out there. I have to learn more how to control the kite than to ride the board but we will see I guess.

I will try on my own, if it doesn't work out than I promise I will come back here and tell you all that said I need lessons that you were right.

With that said, any other info.
Dude stop bieng so ignorant. There is a whole lot of people here saying don't do it and your like... Awe hell I'm smarter and better then all you people that have already gone through this.. What could they possibly have to add. Best case senario is you get hurt, worst case senario you hurt someone else and get our sport banned at that location and possibly others.
Fly a trainer kite till you can do it by feel without looking at the kite and then take a lesson.
Half of kiteboarding is the community you become a part of, if you mess this up after everyone told you not to, you are lucky if you don't get your ass chased off every launch you show up at .
Yes after the accident we will figure out who you are... of course you could end up dying from the head injuries... At least now I can say, I told you so... Dumbass.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:50 am

I've just figured it out. This is too preposterous to be a real person with a real brain. This is some troll looking for a daily dose of confrontation and internet giggles. He says he's learned a lot of other sports by himself. Skateboarding and hacky sack were probably attainable for him. He says he has a buddy that's never done it before that's going to hang on to him and help him when he crashes. This sounds like the boys from the show Jackass.

If by chance you are a REAL person please rethink it and come back on with a more realistic plan. We promise to forgive you for your moment of insanity. We all wanted to "try" kiting in the beginning but most of us ended up with a mentor or teacher in those first sessions. I will say your previous 2 posts gave me laughs that I haven't had in quite a while :rollgrin:

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:02 am

markchatwin wrote:I've just figured it out. This is too preposterous to be a real person with a real brain. This is some troll looking for a daily dose of confrontation and internet giggles. He says he's learned a lot of other sports by himself. Skateboarding and hacky sack were probably attainable for him. He says he has a buddy that's never done it before that's going to hang on to him and help him when he crashes. This sounds like the boys from the show Jackass.

If by chance you are a REAL person please rethink it and come back on with a more realistic plan. We promise to forgive you for your moment of insanity. We all wanted to "try" kiting in the beginning but most of us ended up with a mentor or teacher in those first sessions. I will say your previous 2 posts gave me laughs that I haven't had in quite a while :rollgrin:
Ok, then I'm listening. Tell me why I should take a lesson versus trying something like this n my own. There are a ton of people that have learned the sport completely on their own and are still here today. Most of them have refined the sport as we know it. I am listening. Tell me something that I would need lessons for that you cannot just tell me. An instructor is not going to be doing everything of me, he is going to be telling me what to do. So why can you not tell me what I should be doing just like an instructor would do. I'm being serious here. If you really care like you seem to then help me wrap my mind around why I need lessons. I have already said I am more than willing to take lessons if I cannot find a suitable place to learn, meaning open from any obstacles. And at the outer banks it's waste deep water for quite a ways with few obstacles.

Return to “Kitesurfing”