Forum for kitesurfers
robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New to forum, help please

Postby robertovillate » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Nominations for the 2012 Darwin Awards are now open for submission.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:12 am

I nominate redman33, there is no doubt that this dumbass will cause some sort of fall out.

Redman33, you are a dumbass. Please do some other sport. We don't want you, you are not welcome.... Go away.!

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:56 am

redman333 wrote:... but I'm also going to order a trainer because I want to know what it feels like to fly a kite before I go for lessons.
Why spend money on a trainer kite? Flying a trainer kite is included in your first lesson... from what I've read it's about 30 min or so flying the trainer depending I guess on how quick you progress with it and the school you go to.

If you go to your first lesson never having flown a kite before that might not be such a bad thing.

In any case you could spend as much as 300 bucks on a new trainer kite and it's something you probably won't use again once you're onto the regular kite. I guess they're handy if you're planning on showing other friends how to kite.

A 2.5m trainer kite can kick your ass in 20kts if you're not careful so you're not off the hook just because you're flying a "trainer" kite... you still have to know what you're doing.

Studying all you can about wind and weather in general before your lesson might be helpful.

I'm glad you've decided on a lesson... you'll make a lot of people happier and you'll save yourself a lot of time and money :)

Good luck.

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:19 am

redman333 wrote:Also this was never an issue with money more so an issue of I wanted to be able to say I did it myself. I'll be honest even though I've decided to do lessons, inside of me going to be burning to say the heck with it and buy a kite and try on my own but I'm trusting you guys here and hopefully I'm happy in the end.
Laughingman wrote:I nominate redman33, there is no doubt that this dumbass will cause some sort of fall out.

Redman33, you are a dumbass. Please do some other sport. We don't want you, you are not welcome.... Go away.!
Dude, read the guy's posts before engaging in name calling.

I've read yours. Dumbass. :D

Redman, welcome. There's plenty of stuff to teach yourself after you've covered the basics in lessons - you'll enjoy it more if you're confident that you can get yourself out of trouble and avoid collateral damage when it all goes sideways. (And it will. Oh yes.)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:10 am

redman333 wrote:
I have snowboarded for most of my life. Mine done quite a bit of wake boarding also as well as skateboarding and long boarding when I was younger.. I thought my self how to surf a few years ago also, that one was interesting. Nth at one was one of those oh that
Oops cool, hey buddy can I try to learn on your short board while a hurricane is coming in. That was definetly one of the dumber moves in my life. It took a lot of falls and some very tiring paddling out(until someone told me to paddle out between the waves not right into them), but I finally learned how to surf after my 3 day.

I'll definetly keep you all informed as to my progress. I have a waterproof cam also so I'll try to get some good video as well as have my GF take some pics.
I am super glad you have decided to take a lesson. It will make you more part of a community....the reason I say this is because all of what you have said above will help you exactly zero.

Surfing. Wakeboarding. Snowboarding will only become important once you know how to kite. Before that it will help you exactly nothing.

The difference between surfing and kiting is that when you make a mistake surfing you eat some water, and be a little wiser. When you make a mistake in kiting, you'll end up in a tree.

Again kiting is easy. Easier than surfing...BUT you have to do it right the first time.

So again, thank you for listening. I have no count on how many times I've seen people almost die because they do not heed the warnings from x number of people. It is not fun.

You probably would survive learning on your own, but it would most definitely be more expensive both in time spent and gear shredded. :-) Now you get to shred the instructors gear while he tells you not to. :thumb:

KVL
Medium Poster

Postby KVL » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:03 am

NJOY
Medium Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: gear

Postby NJOY » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Mr_Weetabix wrote:
redman333 wrote:Also this was never an issue with money more so an issue of I wanted to be able to say I did it myself. I'll be honest even though I've decided to do lessons, inside of me going to be burning to say the heck with it and buy a kite and try on my own but I'm trusting you guys here and hopefully I'm happy in the end.
Laughingman wrote:I nominate redman33, there is no doubt that this dumbass will cause some sort of fall out.

Redman, welcome. There's plenty of stuff to teach yourself after you've covered the basics in lessons - you'll enjoy it more if you're confident that you can get yourself out of trouble and avoid collateral damage when it all goes sideways. (And it will. Oh yes.)
Looks like I did not read that one post where Redman said he was going to take a lesson. Oops Sorry, Redman! My bad. I am glad that Mr. Weetabix posted this and Redman, yes, you are very welcome to our community. What I have noticed about new kiters is that the ones who get out there almost every day and ask a lot of questions, seem to get over the learner humps faster. Good luck and I hope there are many helpful people around you when you kite to get you through the rough spots!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Mr_Weetabix wrote:

Mr_Weetabix my mistake, I read his last post, and still did not see any sign of reason in it, I missed the one where he reluctantly accepted that taking lessons was the right thing to do.
I will retract the dumbass comment now but given his stubbornness I am still fairly confident I will not want to be on the same beach as Mr. Redman even after he takes his lessons.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:25 pm

frankm1960 wrote:
If you go to your first lesson never having flown a kite before that might not be such a bad thing.

Good luck.

Really? IMHO its all about kite control. tons of people have loads of boardsports experience and it does eventually come into play, but at first its all about kite control.

Not sure how time spent on a trainer or any small traction kite can be a negative.

ragden
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Wildwood, NJ
Style: Snowkiting/Kitebuggy
Gear: Flysurfer Outlaw 8 & 12 meter
HQ Beamer III 5 meter
JoJo RS 3.5meter

Postby ragden » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Brent4336 wrote:
frankm1960 wrote:

Good luck.

Really? IMHO its all about kite control. tons of people have loads of boardsports experience and it does eventually come into play, but at first its all about kite control.

Not sure how time spent on a trainer or any small traction kite can be a negative.
I have to second Brent's comment above here. Time spent on a trainer in "appropriate" conditions will help you learn the much needed kite control. That doesnt mean take a 3-meter trainer out in 30+ mph winds. That is asking for trouble. Take it out in less than 15mph winds, and you'll be fine. If it is a 2-meter trainer, then you can kick that up for 20-25mph winds. Get a smaller trainer, and you can handle more winds. However, you WILL be better off flying a small trainer in lighter winds. In my opinion, you learn a lot more about kite control when you AREN'T being dragged around by the kite.

Good luck!

Return to “Kitesurfing”