Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New to forum, help please

Postby redman333 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:35 am

I'm going to order the method trainer and order my bar and lines from real that I want for my full size and just use that. It's still cold here so ill only be flying the trainer for a little while though. I think in April or may ill head to the OBX and get my lessons.

I see your in Michigan. Where do you ride there. I'm originally from Milwaukee that's why I'm curious. I go back and visit family a lot.
edt wrote:
redman333 wrote:How about this? A guy here pm'd me this info as it is what he used and it seems intriguing. A company called method has a kite trainer for about $124 on their site that Is a 2/4 line kite trainer in 3m size. I think this is nice because it states I can use an existing bar and lines to fly in the 4 line mode. Then I could get my bar and lines for my full size kite and use it with the trainer.

Here's a link to the site he sent me.
http://www.methodtrainerkite.com/
Not sure if I'm allowed to post links if not let me know and I will remove it.

quit wasting time and get started. dont be a perfectionist about the kite and the bar and whatever. It's not real important exactly how you start kiting trainers, no trainers, lessons before trainers lessons after trainers, which kite to buy, just make sure you stay safe -- this means lighter winds for a beginner a working safety quick release and lessons. So go get started and welcome to the most awesome sport in the world.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:50 am

i kite everywhere there are literally thousands of launches in mi, here are some I go to

http://goo.gl/maps/5C30K

Hmm. I need to update my map I have some new places I just scoped out last weekend. Anyway, contact the local kiters they will tell you the best places.

Milkwaukee is too far from my stomping grounds not sure what you have there, I'm sure there are plenty of awesome spots.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:27 am

Wow that is a lot! Ill have to bring my kiteboarding stuff when I go back. I wouldn't have thought they would have anything there.

Hey I took your advice and ordered my liquid force CPR control bar and a Dakine pyro harness. They were both on sale over at real watersports.

Then I called method about the trainer. They were real cool, but they said they were out of the trainers and wouldn't get any back in until the next version came out and it wouldn't be for about 6 months. Then he said he had some repaired once he could sell me if I wanted. He gave me a really good price on it so I said yes send me the Paypal invoice and ill go ahead and pay.

That's this one

So now my full size kite bar and lines and harness are coming in and my trainer as well. I'm heading to the mountains tomorrow to do some snowboarding so hopefully when I get back ill have some packages waiting for me lol.
edt wrote:i kite everywhere there are literally thousands of launches in mi, here are some I go to

Hmm. I need to update my map I have some new places I just scoped out last weekend. Anyway, contact the local kiters they will tell you the best places.

Milkwaukee is too far from my stomping grounds not sure what you have there, I'm sure there are plenty of awesome spots.

kitewise
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ct., Fla.,Aruba, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Pompano beach Fla.
LongbeachPark Stratford, Ct.
Boa Grande Aruba
OBX for sure
Gear: EPIC screamer and Renegade
EPIC DROID
BEST Thruster
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby kitewise » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:40 pm

I just find it freaking unbelievable that you are out buying gear and you've never flown a kite. Not a lesson nothing.
The more you talk, the more you prove your lack of kiting knowledge. I'm not trying to be nasty.
With just one trainer lesson You'd have learned what you really need to know to get into the sport.
I will bet that you fly that new kite without a lesson. You won't be able to resist it's calling. I bet you will crash it and either hit something or someone. You will damage your kite and need to spend double what the lesson would have cost.
When one takes a kite lesson, you're normally getting lots of hands on useful information at the same time. Like, what size kite you should get instead of just buying a kite to own one.
I have been an instructor for many years and see this time after time. EVERYBODY who does this gets their own hard lesson.
Do think you could learn to swim by just watching videos?
Don't be pig head and risk us losing a launch site somewhere. That's surly a way to get on a shitlist.
Have a nice day!
Phil

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:56 pm

he'll be fine, quit worrying. There's some guys that kook it up, he isn't one of them.

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best

Postby jats2k9 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:16 pm

redman333" I'm not telling you to do it, and for those with all the negative comments. I never paid for a single lesson and nobody thaugh me. I strarted practicing flying the kite (10mtrs kite) once I felt confident began doing body drag. So far I'm already riding, right now learning to stay upwind. Although I did have an awful crash that scrached my knee while learning to fly the kite. Just be respectful with the ones around you (those that are riding) stay out of their way, and most of it, practice your QR instinct. That is the first thing that has to go through your mind if something goes wrong. Observe the ones who know and learn from what they do. Study how the kite flies on the wind window and anything relative to it.
Good winds.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Your the ignorant fool here. Why don't you go back and read the whole thread instead of just posting about stuff you don't understand. I feel sorry for whoever you instructed because with an attitude like yours I wouldn't give you a dime of my money.

Speaking of money I'm not spending yours so why do you care how I spend mine. I've already said I plan on taking lessons but I want to have my whole setup so when done with my lesson I can go right out and practice what I've learned. I can also use my gear during the lesson so that I know exactly how to setup my own gear. I want new because I want to be sure that if something isn't working right I know it's not my gear that's it's something I did or something I didn't do. Not faulty gear causing a problem.

For what I've spent on my full size kite plus ordering a trainer kite why do you assume I will take my full size out when I have a trainer. I don't want to ruin an expensive kite just because I was too impatient.

So go bark at someone else because I just find it annoying.
kitewise wrote:I just find it freaking unbelievable that you are out buying gear and you've never flown a kite. Not a lesson nothing.
The more you talk, the more you prove your lack of kiting knowledge. I'm not trying to be nasty.
With just one trainer lesson You'd have learned what you really need to know to get into the sport.
I will bet that you fly that new kite without a lesson. You won't be able to resist it's calling. I bet you will crash it and either hit something or someone. You will damage your kite and need to spend double what the lesson would have cost.
When one takes a kite lesson, you're normally getting lots of hands on useful information at the same time. Like, what size kite you should get instead of just buying a kite to own one.
I have been an instructor for many years and see this time after time. EVERYBODY who does this gets their own hard lesson.
Do think you could learn to swim by just watching videos?
Don't be pig head and risk us losing a launch site somewhere. That's surly a way to get on a shitlist.
Have a nice day!
Phil

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:28 pm

I do plan on taking lessons and its for one big reason. I don't want to be a hippocrit. Out of respect for all the kiteboarders before me that have made this sport what it is I don't want to go out and get into trouble somewhere because I didn't take a lesson and have kiting banned in my area. That said I know once I do learn the sport I would want people behind me taking lessons so that they don't mess it up for me. That make sense?

I still plan to teach myself as much as I can on my own so when I do get my lessons it's a very quick learning process but just want to make sure I don't miss anything so lessons are in store for me in a couple months here maybe sooner.
jats2k9 wrote:redman333" I'm not telling you to do it, and for those with all the negative comments. I never paid for a single lesson and nobody thaugh me. I strarted practicing flying the kite (10mtrs kite) once I felt confident began doing body drag. So far I'm already riding, right now learning to stay upwind. Although I did have an awful crash that scrached my knee while learning to fly the kite. Just be respectful with the ones around you (those that are riding) stay out of their way, and most of it, practice your QR instinct. That is the first thing that has to go through your mind if something goes wrong. Observe the ones who know and learn from what they do. Study how the kite flies on the wind window and anything relative to it.
Good winds.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:59 pm

Well I got my bar and lines and my harness today. Oh and my leash. Very pleased with the fitment of the harness. I did try on the harness last year though when I went to real watersports but I hadn't planned on buying then so I didn't pay much attention to fitment then. Bar and lines seem nice. I hadn't unrolled my lines or anything just hooked in the chicken loop and messed with the quick release. I don't plan on unrolling my lines until my trainer gets here and even then I may not since it comes with a 2 line setup already hooked up. I may just leave the bar n lines. Until I'm ready to try practicing with the 4 line setup. From what I've read and from what people have told me is that I will need a good amount of wind in 4 line mode so ill have to wait on that too.

Hopefully I can get some good practice in and then once I feel very comfortable flying the trainer then ill schedule an appointment with a kite school in the outer banks. I'm hoping it starts war,ing up quickly because I plan on being out every chance I get practicing so hopefully I can get my lesson and fly the real thing very soon.

Here are some pics of my stuff that came in.

The trainer was shipped off yesterday from TX and I'm in NC so I'm hoping by FRI it'll be here and I can play this weekend. The company that I called for the trainer was really nice. They didn't have any in stock but said they had some repaired ones which was fine with me. They put together what he said was a very good condition repaired kite and a bar and line setup. Gave it all to me for $75. Not bad considering I was thinking about paying around $350 for a trainer now I can use that saved money towards my lessons. When I get my trainer I plan on taking video of me first putting it up so I'm hoping that I don't do too bad. I want to do the same when I take my lessons and when I fly for myself the first few times. Kinda to document my learning process.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:20 am

edt wrote:i kite everywhere there are literally thousands of launches in mi, here are some I go to

Whats the best time during the summer to kite up there. I plan on visiting sometime this year and would like to bring some gear. I only come home when it's in the middle of the summer as I can not tolerate the cold anymore.

Return to “Kitesurfing”