Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Dyno 2013, 17m, can some one please review??

Forum for kitesurfers
Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Dyno 2013, 17m, can some one please review??

Postby Puetz » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:08 am

Dear all 2013Dyno users,

Can some one please review the kite, especially the 17m???

I see alot of Dyno's out there racing and yet no one is saying either way, good or bad. Can you please write some sort of review?

cheers,

Robbie :D

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dyno 2013, 17m, can some one please review??

Postby Billy B. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:40 am

I Love Mine, best Dyno for my "blended" style of riding.

I ride all types of boards behind it and I have been very pleased.

I run it on 27m lines most of the time. and have had some sick freestyle sessions on it on 24m lines.

The kite has a ton of depower on the race bar, and on the standard bar. I have held it down will riding race board in 11m ish winds and I think the low end must be OK because there are lots of times I am the only one out riding, while other 17m kites are pumped on the beach. Of coarse not everyone has race boards here. But even on the days others are around with race boards I tend to be the fastest.

The kite really moves up into the window the close reach is amazing. The kite works very well ether up high or down low, something that is nice when Passing or surrounded by a pack, It does have a sweet spot but it is much broader then previous Dynos.

It feels much stiffer on the bar with a more positive input and very fast turning for such a large kite, you can pivot it on a wing tip[ but it does lose power in a super tight loop, something that really comes in handy if you down loop out of tacks and don't want to lose ground on lighter days,

On the run it works as well as you can control it, Being fast down wind is all rider and flying skills if you are fast down wind already this kite will give you the confidence to ride as fast as you can with very positive behavior. I nevery used to get bounced around down wind but this thing just rips you trough the chop, so if your board trim and control is right, you fucking fly.

Any other questions?

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:38 am

... thanks BillyB, nice one :thumb: .

I liked your intro video you did a while ago on the 15m, would love it if you could do one on the the 17m and could you zero in on the LE material on the tips a bit more. The youtube vid didn't have enough resolution and you were a little quick in panning this bit.

A few more questions if thats cool with you:

Bar pressure: can you compare it to the Dyno 2011 at all? I don't mind bar pressure but the 2012 was a little high and if I tried to change pressure settings to soft the kite just flaired too much or rather too easily.

Turning Pressure and Bar feedback: is it possible to compare to the 2011 18m? I liked the pressure I had to use to get the 18m turning but I found it heavier on the 2012 but spot on with the 2011. When I used to pull the bar in to get the static sheet and go, the 2012 would stall all to easy but the 2011 didn't, so how does the 2013 compare? Bar feedback was good on the 2011 (no Rebel I know but still ok) but the 2012 being to easy to flair made it too finiky so feedback was poor IMHO. So, what sort of feedback does the 2013 have?

I've heard that the 17m Dyno is similar in performance characteristics to the 19m Edge, do you or have you ever ridden the 19m and can you comment if they are similar?

I intend to ride a broad selection of boards and seeing as the 2012 was very board specific, does the 2013 ride well with a surfboard and TT as god as a it does on a race board??

Thanks for your time,

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:33 am

... I can answer my own question now:

Rider: Weight 120 - 125 kg, Level (intermediate advanced)
Experience: 10 years
Style: Freeriding, Surf, Lazy Cruising
Weather: 10-15 knots
Water Conditions: Small onshore waves with chop and swell out back
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: Pay for Gear
Board used: Airush Cypher 5'10" strapless and one front strap

My Comments:

I've been looking for a while for a replacement of my beloved 18m 2011 Dyno which I loved as it had all the performances I wanted from a kite, power and upwind being my favorite bits. I have tried a bunch of other kites and all nice but lacked the most important (to me) parts until I finally came across the 17m 2013 Dyno.

Construction is usual North quality and clearly lightly built kite but has re-enforcements where its needed. Time will tell if it stays togeather under me and my heavy weight but since it doesn't use alot of the light D2 material in the LE like the old 2011 Dyno, should be fine for me. An unusual thing though, the leading edge is dacron for most of the length but the last part from the end strut to tip is the light D2 material. I'd say they are trying to make the tips lighter without loosing the strength so therefore makes it turn quicker. The lighter the kite, the better it will fly but you don't want it too light as it'll break on you. Having only 5 struts was nice pumping up wise and being really skinny, took bugger all to pump up. My old 2011 Dyno was massive compared to the 2013 so even for a big kite was no big deal. The trailing edge has the same double layer canopy material, just like the Ozones in fact. The 2012 Dyno had a 2 inch strip of dacron but this is added weight. Zephyr and Edge has the same double layer canopy material with no dacron layer so I figured if its good enough for them, its good enough for the Dyno.

They have a new pump, really nice and a step up from the old plastic cheapies of old. Nice new guage too so much better than the old ones. Our tropical conditions makes the shaft heat up very quickly so would wear out the seal and gum up the shaft so the new ones seems to have a much better seal and didn't heat up as bad. I would guess this one is going to last longer. I usually have an electic pump but with this new girl, being easy I don't miss the electric pump. Time will tell so we'll see hey!

The kite came with the 2014 bar. First thing I notices was the middle was thicker and I guess its to make the depower rope hole bigger for less wear. The grip is nice too and with less fancy seams, the simple dimples makes it grippy and hopefully less prone to coming unglued and pealing. I even liked the red line across the whole bar to tell you if you have the bar back to front. Not that I change the bar width but it was so easy to click, spin and click back, on the fly adjustment, I did it just to see how easy it was. The 17m likes the wider setting by the way. Will experiment when its windy and I'm on my TT jumping, just to see.

This years Dyno is by far the best Dyno incarnation and although I haven't tried it with a TT as yet, I can feel it will work fine. On my first trial run the wind looked really light so went to grab my Sector but then at the last second decided to take my surfboard instead, just to see if I can push my personal envelope 'how low I can go' with this combination.

From first sweep and park, the immediate feel was it was much faster in the dive and static power developed instantly the moment I stopped the sine and just pulled the bar in. I felt in the same winds I would have to sine a little more had I been using a 19m Edge or the new Zephyr, the kite didn't have pure pull bar and go like the old 2011 Dyno, you still had to sine a little but not as much sining as you would with the Edge or Zephyr, in fact exactly in between the Ozones and old Dyno. There was also more bar feed back compared to the Edge but similar to the Zephyr which I liked alot. Not once did the kite feel like stalling, no matter how low the winds were. My old 2012 Dyno would stall at the drop of a hat and had to be riding fast to stop it from happening.

The next thing I noticed was I was going across the water very fast for the given lowish wind, in fact I had to put my front foot further forward on the board to keep it from bouncing around too much. For some reason I would usually put my front foot in a certain spot, and if riding fast I tuck my toes into the only strap I put on the board but with the 2013 Dyno riding faster, I had to keep the front foot further forward. I found I could ride fast and strapless easier than with other kites. Hard to put into words why.

Bar pressure is less than my old 2011 Dyno and similar to the Ozones which is a great thing when your feeling in a lazy cruisey mode. Being a direct feel like the Zephyr it was easy to feel without looking to know where the kite is and I could concentrate on looking for little waves to slash. Its not C kite directness but for a big light wind kite, it was good enough for me to forget I was on a big kite,,,,, very similar to the Zephyr actually. I find the Edge a little disconnected and only felt normal once your riding fast.

Power and upwind is clearly this kites forte. I would say it has the best upwind of any kite I have ever used in my kiting career,,, by far. When I flew the kite on the beach I parked it at 12, and to test if the kite would back down in really light winds, I pulled the bar all the way in, and bugga me the kite went forward not back. I thought the thing would over fly and hindenburg but it didn't. I had to stand side ways to see where it sat and check out the angle and man this thing flew sooooo far forward without falling, in fact I was sure it flew past the zenith and yet just sat there. Until I get a picture I can't say for sure but it looked like it from the pilots view, past the zenith. Anyway, it really flys forward so its the reason why you can charge upwind on this kite and just as important to me, doesn't stall when you pull the bar all the way in.

Power development gets better the faster you ride but not as dependant on speed as the Edge. The old Dyno 2011 you could ride super slow or super fast and power was more or less the same so the old Dyno suited TT as well as directionals having heaps of static pull. But the 2013 Dyno is inbetween and has just enough static pull that people like my missus who doesn't want massive power but also like to ride slower, still have plenty available. Sine a few times and get a heap of board speed with apparent wind and it starts to really pull, but again, not too much. Being heavy I don't mind being over loaded but alot of others don't. The bar felt lighter the more board speed I got which was similar to the old Dyno.

I ended up playing in the waves and although not as quick to turn as the new Zephyr, was close and coupled with the nice direct feel, the kite is really playful, not the full on race kite I was imagining before I actually used it. There was a guy out on a 17m Edge with a TT and I did a couple of tacks with him to see the differences in speed and maybe because I was on a directional, but I had heaps more speed on him on a reach or downwind and similar upwind, but to put it in perspective he is at least 50kg lighter than me too. If I used this kite on my big Sector V3 66, I felt like I would get warp speed for sure, it is a race kite after all.

I did a couple of size comparisons with a new Zephyr and even though they both have 17m written on them, the Dyno is clearly bigger. I will compare it with the 19m Edge later when I can but I would say the Dyno is closer to 18m in size. Doesn't matter what it says I suppose but I'm happy and its a great light wind kite and being agile, it's lots of fun too. I haven't tested the jumps yet or if it folds on me in hard turns/loading so I will test when I can.

Its a damn good kite so far and more time will tell if its the best kite for me so I'll come back and report again later but, so far so good!

cheers for now, Robbie :D
Picture 325.jpg
Picture 325.jpg (87.12 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Picture 352.jpg
Picture 352.jpg (94.16 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Picture 357.jpg
Picture 357.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Picture 360.jpg
Picture 360.jpg (92.66 KiB) Viewed 2538 times

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Why did you have to go and write a review like that? Now how can I live with my old Dyno knowing the new one is so good? :D

I think I've figured out the problem with my Dyno LTD. As you described on the 2013, it flies way forward in the window. However, when the LTD does this, it hindenburgs sometimes :( This only really becomes a problem when I have the depower pulled way in. It's worse if I'm standing on land.

Recently I fell in shallow water on a tack. The kite was already looping when I fell, so I just planted my feet on the bottom. I then watched as the kite came up to the top of the window with a lot of speed and flew right past me. Al the lines went slack, and it fell out of the sky. Doesn't really happen when you're dragging in the water, but it has happened to me a few times on land.

Overall LTD compared to 2011 is much faster turning, much better reluanch, better upwind angle, and feels faster, but I prefer riding the 2011 because it is just so stable. I understand now what people mean by "you have to watch the kite". When I'm out riding in <10knots, I really don't want the kite to fall out of the sky. Sounds like the LTD had the added performance of the 2013, but needed some fine tuning that the 2013 has.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:03 am

... to be honest, I think you still have to keep an eye on the kite when climbs to zenith if your not moving but so far so good it hasn't hindenberged on me yet, still scares the sh!z out of me because it goes so high!!

I had a ball on my surfboard in little waves yesterday, so for a race kite, its a lot of fun indeed. Sure, its still a "little" slow but only if you compare it with such kites like the Rebel but it moves around quick enough especially for such a big kite.

I haven't yet tried it on a race board, but I believe this kite will be suuuuuuper fast when used with a race board especially upwind.

I used to nick name my old Sector as "the jetski" because I could ride anywhere in anywind anytime. The kite feels like it's the kite version of "the jetski" with the way it goes upwind in really light winds. In fact I did an 8 km upwinder and then slowly wondered my way back riding the swell. Loads of fun.

I can't say for the LTD but the 2013 version is great and yeah it doesn't have the same static grunt of the 18m but its much more playful and definetly faster.

I think I found my new beloved Dyno!!!!

cheers,

Return to “Kitesurfing”