Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How long should a kite last before requiring repairs?

Forum for kitesurfers
tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How long should a kite last before requiring repairs?

Postby tr3v » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:15 am

Has anyone else had this problem (see below)? This kite is only 6 months old, and has had minimal use (~20 sessions) yet the stitching has worn off and then the seam has parted to reveal the tape underneath. If I don't repair it, the rip will get longer and the bladder will be exposed.

The manufacturer tells me it is my fault because of the "technique" I use for self launching. Some simple protection at the contact points would have prevented this.
Attachments
damaged leading edge.jpg

dt73775
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9

Re: How long should a kite last before requiring repairs?

Postby dt73775 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:40 am

6 Months - does not sound normal - What Brand???

Mlkman
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Instincts
Nobile kites
Nobile board
Surftech boards and SUP:s
Brand Affiliation: Ozone Importer
Nobile Importer
Surftech Importer

Postby Mlkman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:53 am

Im not sure on where/how this seem to happen. And it if is a usual point for abrasion I agree, it should have an additional patch. How ever, every reenforcement added ads weight and increase cost, so thee has to be a line where to stop.

Personally I dont think kites should be self launched other then when you cant find another solution for it. But if you do anyway, you need to catch the ware of the kite and possibly reinforce where needed. A simple glued on patch on your wear-spots for your technique would save a lot of future hassle.

tr3v
Frequent Poster

Postby tr3v » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:11 am

dt73775 wrote:6 Months - does not sound normal - What Brand???
2012 Cabrinha Switchblade 12m

tr3v
Frequent Poster

Postby tr3v » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:21 am

Mlkman wrote:Im not sure on where/how this seem to happen. And it if is a usual point for abrasion I agree, it should have an additional patch. How ever, every reenforcement added ads weight and increase cost, so thee has to be a line where to stop.
I had exactly the same problem with 2011 kites when Cabrinha changed the seam construction. Prior to 2011 I have never had a problem. In fact I still have 2010 kites in good condition. I was naive in thinking that it would not happen again in 2012. There are 2 seams (on each side) that are contact points when launching and landing. I suggested last year that they should be protected as I cannot believe I am the only person with this issue.
Mlkman wrote:Personally I dont think kites should be self launched other then when you cant find another solution for it.

It's unavoidable. Not many kiters, and everyone learns to self launch. Beaches are clean and sandy.
Mlkman wrote:But if you do anyway, you need to catch the ware of the kite and possibly reinforce where needed. A simple glued on patch on your wear-spots for your technique would save a lot of future hassle.
OK thanks. Yes, I have one seam that needs repair but at least I know where to protect the rest before the go. Should I just use sail tape and a clear adhesive?

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own

Postby FarQueLot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:34 am

For leading edge repairs like this it really needs to be sewn and reinforced properly.
It does seem like a lack of forethought in design as you can see the stitching is abraded from ground contact I guess.

Get it fixed properly as the sticky repairs will not last and have little resistance to what caused the problem originally.

luv
F

tr3v
Frequent Poster

Postby tr3v » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:55 am

FarQueLot wrote:It does seem like a lack of forethought in design as you can see the stitching is abraded from ground contact I guess.
Yes, and this is what I suggested to Cabrinha support, as it was not a problem with their kites before 2011. The kites have changed, not the pilot. However they just blamed me and supplied some detailed instructions on how to self launch. :angryfire:

I would have been happy with acknowledgement of the issue or at least some reassurance that they would fix the problem for future years. But the seams on the 2013 kites are unchanged and will suffer the from the same. It doesn't seem fair to have to pay for a kite, then again for the seam protection that many others provide.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:36 am

how do you self launch?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:01 am

Maybe time for a change Trev?

Drag launch screws kites in my opinion. I nakered by first lei drag launching!. Thats why you see me teathered launching when possible. It doesn't wear the LE. I might look a like a tool teathered launching when everyone else drag launches. But all my LE are crispy.

ps 6months is pretty shit. i expect a good year of hard use.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:25 am

plummet wrote:Maybe time for a change Trev?

Agree.

Drag launch screws kites in my opinion. I nakered by first lei drag launching!. Thats why you see me teathered launching when possible. It doesn't wear the LE. I might look a like a tool teathered launching when everyone else drag launches. But all my LE are crispy.

ps 6months is pretty shit. i expect a good year of hard use.
Drag launch is shitty regarding wear, and extremely risky too, as you CAN have bridles snag and get kinked :o

I completely disagree with "Personally I dont think kites should be self launched other then when you cant find another solution for it."

I would say that everyone should learn to self launch and land both tethered and non-tethered 8)
Have met relatively experienced kitesurfers that did not know how to do this - I was really surprised as it is so easy.

We almost always launch/land this way, often if others are around close - as it is safer if something goes completely wrong, and you can go in and take a break or change kite or whatever, any time you like :thumb:
Particulary important at wavespots, where you most often might be many out, but noone on shore or close to shore when one rider wants to take a break or change :naughty:

Of course - in difficult harsh spots/surface and locations, you are way better off having others to launch you - but often the tethered way is really fast and safe and practical :rollgrin:

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”