Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: Looper - Unroll you kite lines in seconds

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:21 pm

fokiten wrote:I don't recall ever being in fear of you or your ANTICS...

does that mean I can't post here anymore??

What exactly are you and yours hoping to accomplish here anyway?
Tell you what .......you are as far as i am concerned........... an ANTIQUE

YES it means that if you cannot post with respect and dignity you should bow down totally :bye:

.....you say you have chickens now............well go harass people on "CHICKENFORUM"

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Wetstuff » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Most of you guys are: "I didn't think of it . Therefore..."

Even tho' the guy in the vid looks like a surveyor at the beach, I think it not a bad idea .. especially for those thin, soft lines that you do not want to replace for $100. Some old Flexi lines can be a real pain to lay out without looking like it's your first go-out.

Jim

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Line winding comes down to 2 basic principles, illustrated by the 2 pictures... you can do it by one or the other basic methods, but twists will occur, if you mix the methods...think about it. Can anyone guess how you will end up with twists, by incorrectly using the "Looper"?

Think of the basics of line winding... one moves the lines onto the spool and the other moves the spool onto the lines...
Attachments
conventional reel.jpg
conventional reel.jpg (7.14 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
spinning reel.jpg
spinning reel.jpg (6.31 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

LOOPER-KITES
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby LOOPER-KITES » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:06 pm

sometimes we do things the way they were when we got there, or we just got used to an old habit and its duration, when a new invention offers convenient / quicker / elegant path that is different and worth taking. it's just a matter of convenience and adopting new ways or staying with our habits.

People felt comfortable to light their cigarettes with matches, when the lighter was presented. tying their sandwich nylon bag when Zip lock came and offer something more convenient. We can go on with GPS vs. maps, I bet when auto gear was invented people were used to manual gear, or when remote control was presented people felt color-tv was cutting edge, and so on…(we're sure one can offer more examples)

Same concept with unrolling kite lines – we're used to a certain way, and LOOPER brings a new way combining order keeping and fast unrolling that leverages convenience and saves time.

We hope many people will find it useful :thumb:

Enjoy

P.S. the guy on the video is a world class kite surfer and wave rider, former presenter :)

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:40 pm

What I was trying to get at with my above question was: "If the 'wind-up bar' stops spinning (for some reason, like hitting your leg or something), and the lines fall off the 'wind-up bar', will that length section of line have "curls" in it?

Is it possible for the lines to escape the 'wind-up bar' and fall off to the side, or are the lines "guarded" by a housing or something, to prevent this... I could not tell from the picture of the device?

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:37 am

I like the philosophy of Keep it Simple. I never thought unrolling/rolling up my lines have ever been a big deal. Nor, would I want to carry an extra piece of equiptment that's not very compact to save a few seconds. Sometimes less is more. Good luck though and I do admire that you are at least trying to innovate the sport.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:51 am

seems to me this has the same problem all the "do it faster" helpers have. if you are not walking out your lines you are not checking for nicks or wear or knots in the lines and could have a problem later on to save a couple of seconds. mostly not worth the chance of trouble. With this sport you better be doing the set-up right the first time so i like the "it won't tangle" angle but not enough to not check my lines.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:06 am

Remember these? Who is still using them?
http://kitelauncher.com/

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
BigPaul wrote:Fully Agree with the above. I can put my lines away under tention and always figure of eight. but for some reason or other the little bastards are always tangled. not badly but enough to wish they were'nt.

Anything that gets me on the water quicker is a great idea. not arsed about packing away as that is when the fun stops and I'm chatting on the beach.

Good luck chaps :thumb:
When you pack up, lark's head left steering line to left center line and same for RHS. When you walk them out, centers between your legs and they'll (very nearly) automatically untangle \m/
You know that sounds simple and quick enough to give a try. I'm using a 5 line bar and the lines at the larks head are getting really "limp" and worn... they tangle in the slightest puff of wind... so this idea might help. We'll see. Thanks for posting that.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:10 pm

acctx wrote:
the looper looks interesting. Right now im focused on how to get my kite inflated faster :)
Have you tried the cheap Coleman dual action pump? Works better than any kite pump I've had.

Return to “Kitesurfing”