Gear: F one Bandit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: LF Envy 2011 7 M problem

Postby johnny_dove » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:43 pm

eightsmileys wrote:Hi Johhny,

Good to see some pictures.

Find a fix point...add one nail, screw etc...place all the lines together or 4 nails as you said but that is a extra hassle with not much difference (minor)

As you hold the bar the furthest knot on the steering lines is the default.

On the kite you have markings standard-lightwind! The knot that is further in is for lightwind (basically it shortens the backlines thus the kite gets a different angle = the angle of the kite changes = more wind)! I do not use the lightwind setting in any kite as when you get in low winds when working the kite up and down (8 figures) sometimes you get to back stall the kite when you dive it low. That is my preference! Some kiters here fly their kites on the light wind setting for that extra grunt and for the kites to be faster...i prefer to have the kite as slow as possible since with strapless riding on the waves i prefer to have the kite steady (ps. when i was in Mauritius some years ago this crazy waverider would say "Keep the kite as low as possible so that you get a better edge and not having a lifting effect but not too low when the waves are big cause you get no wind")

Back to our subject...it seems that your back lines are overstretched!
Add the front lines on a fixed point and pull them a bit to become equal with the steering lines or just use the middle knot on the bar its the best-quickest solution! After you have everything on a fixed point then you will know what to do.

The kite seems to be ok from the pictures.
The bar is 2011 you are correct.

The Envy is the best kite that i have flown and have owned all the models as of today and you made a good choice.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Filios.
Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. The back lines are longer on the first knot but seem equal on the second knot.

When I was out surfing I tried:

1. Lowest knot + Standard bridle knot = Almost no turning. Kite fell into the water if flown to low even though wind was howling. Canopy flapping. Could hardly surf.

2. Lowest knot + Light Wind bridle setting = Kite turned slowly. Still delay. Felt like I wanted a longer bar. Very wide arc in turns. Like 17M. Could surf but with very poor control. I had to lie down and put kite at 12 everytime someone surfed near me. Worried I would fly the kite into someone's lines.

3. Top knot + Light wind bridle setting = No back line slack from what I could see. Kite still slow but over powered. Flew me automatically too much up wind and then started to flap. Power very off and on. Jerky riding. Handled gusts poorly. Could surf but with very poor control. Got very tired from trying to ride.

Could it be the bridles? They are very long and the kite is small.

eightsmileys
Frequent Poster
Style: Strapless waveriding
Gear: Liquid Force

Postby eightsmileys » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Use middle knot on the bar! Standard setting on the kite.

What did the previous owner tell you about this?

johnny_dove
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gotland, Sweden
Style: Jump as high as I can

Postby johnny_dove » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:26 pm

eightsmileys wrote:Use middle knot on the bar! Standard setting on the kite.

What did the previous owner tell you about this?
The previous owner said he tried the kite on the beach could could make the kite turn if he yanked the bar in really hard. He only tried the kite once I think. Said he though the kite was "different". Probably the reason he sold it I believe. The bar has probably had use with other kites in the quiver.

If second knot is default then I think this setting should come close to second knot and standard bridle setting:
-----
2. Lowest knot + Light Wind bridle setting = Kite turned slowly. Still delay. Felt like I wanted a longer bar. Very wide arc in turns. Like 17M. Could surf but with very poor control. I had to lie down and put kite at 12 every time someone surfed near me. Worried I would fly the kite into someone's lines.
---------------
It was the least bad of all settings but. Flapped less, less jerky but still very slow turning. If I had had a long bar that comes with a 15 M kite or so I think it would have worked.

I am starting to think it could be the bridles?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm

could be the bridles, maybe you got a pre-production set that was messed up or something? your rear lines are also wayyyyy too long from that picture, all lines should be equal length

johnny_dove
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gotland, Sweden
Style: Jump as high as I can

Postby johnny_dove » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:27 pm

dyyylan wrote:could be the bridles, maybe you got a pre-production set that was messed up or something? your rear lines are also wayyyyy too long from that picture, all lines should be equal length
Yes, the rear lines are long on the first knot but on the third knot the front lines were a little longer. Leaning towards the bridles after checking the bar. I think Gary may see if they are the correct length and set up when he receives the pictures.

eightsmileys
Frequent Poster
Style: Strapless waveriding
Gear: Liquid Force

Postby eightsmileys » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Johhny,

I am pretty sure Gary will be able to help you out...if you were in Cyprus i would had come down and check it for you but i guess you are a bit far away! Hopefully soon you will get everything resolved.

Filios.

HAMLINDP
Frequent Poster

Postby HAMLINDP » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:06 am

My LF 6M Session flies like crap as well.

Could it be LF doesn't or didn't know how to make a small version of their kites?

I've got a friend who flew the LF Envy 7M and it flew like crap.

Just sayin'

Busdriver
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui, Kailula,Oahu
Style: Strapped Directional
Gear: Slingshot Revs, Rpms and Liquid Force Havoc, F-one 5'2" fish

Postby Busdriver » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:14 am

Weird. I have a 6 LF Session and its a great little kite. Super stable, easy relaunch and built really well. The Session was built for schools. Its a beefed up version of the Havoc with a center strut. When you say "Flys like crap", what do you mean? It could be out of tune also. Some thoughts: Binding pulley, lines or bridle issue. As some other posters said you can try the steering lines on the light wind setting also cut the lines down to 20m to make the kite more reactive. Mine has always flown perfectly right out of the bag on the standard settings. Hope you get it sorted. Charlie

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:43 pm

the envy is a fast, responsive kite. if it "flew like crap" you are doing something wrong or your kite is messed up, period

hamlindp1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: administrator: I can't login and this computer can't see the code to unblock it.

Postby hamlindp1 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:12 pm

I hope you guys are right. I bought it used, so tuning must be the issue.

Maybe I'm just spoiled. I fly Flysurfer closed cell foils, usually. 19M S3 D, 15M S2 S,
12M S3 S, and 6M Unity S. I used to think light wind kiting was boring, until I met my 19M!!!!!

I do love the 14M Havoc that I gave as a gift to my son. He kills on it. Great downwinder kite, as well.

David

Return to “Kitesurfing”