Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

SlingshoT RPM or Slingshot Rally (Advice on picking a Kite)

Forum for kitesurfers
rojerbb
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Carlos Sonora Mexico
Favorite Beaches: San Carlos Sonora Mexico

Bahia de Lobos Sonora Mexico
Style: Freeride - Freestyle
Gear: Rally 2012
Brand Affiliation: RBB Architect
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SlingshoT RPM or Slingshot Rally (Advice on picking a Kite)

Postby rojerbb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:58 pm

First of all, thanks to everybody, i really need the help from people that know both of this kites. I have to pick a kite and i am between a Slingshot RPM and a Slingshot Rally.

I like from the Rally, things i have learned from reading on posts, is that it jumps better and it goes upwind better than the RPM. ( more intermediate, but could it be good for advanced stuff )

The RPM i like it for the unhook and the kiteloop ( advanced ).

I started kiting 2 years ago on a T3 Turbo, bow kite which i liked, i already believed i pass the line where i need something else, i started jumping, and i want something better that could help me out and feel more agressive.

I can pick either a 2011 cheaper and a 2012, 400 dlls more expensive, for either kite. Im looking to replace my t3 9m for a 10m.

For the Rally i dont see much differences from 2011 to a 2012, so probably from the comments you could make i could be choosing a Rally, and probably 2011 to save money, if the 2012 has no worth changess.

For the RPM, i see a big difference on the wind range on the 2012 which i really like! the wind range on 2012 for a 10m says something from 13m to 25m, where the 2011 says form 15-16 to 25. So thats a lot! it ll could be my new 12 ( i own a slingshot 2006 octane 14m - they fly as 12m ) with a lot of range to use it when 9s are flying and 12s are flying for lower wind.

So the decision is really hard, on picking a RPM or a Rally, and the other hard decision is if its a RPM, will spend 400 dlls from a 2011 to a 2012 worth it, for that widdest wind range it has?...

I would like to mention i just bought for really cheap a t3 17m which i havent had a time to try, but my idea is to make it work on the 10-13 kn range.

So you could have and idea of what kites i have and what i want to get. My style is not defined because i m still learning, i would like to do tricks, but not as many hardcore tricks, lots of jumping but i would like to learn also unhooked stuff, do kiteloop, but maybe not so many spins. ( right now ).

Thanks a lot this is my first post, i appreciate everybody that can give me a hand on this. Thanks and Greetings form Mexico ...

Rogelio

Jonpnw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pacific Northwest
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Quikfin

Re: SlingshoT RPM or Slingshot RALLY (Advice on picking a Ki

Postby Jonpnw » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:33 am

unhooked = RPM
hooked = Rally

shinn007
Medium Poster

Re: SlingshoT RPM or Slingshot RALLY (Advice on picking a Ki

Postby shinn007 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:32 am

Wave=Rally
Freestyle=RPM

Boss_Hog
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: SlingshoT RPM or Slingshot Rally (Advice on picking a Ki

Postby Boss_Hog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Hey Roger,

If you're going with a 10m for mostly freestyle I would go with the RPM - it's a sick kite, especially in the smaller sizes. I have a 2011 10m RPM and absolutely love it. I take it in the waves pretty often and it floats down the line with no problems.

There is a recent thread on the different flight characteristics of the Rally and the RPM (I believe it's titled 2013 Slingshot), which also may give you some good info.

I like the Rally in the larger sizes 12 and 14, as it has a better low end than the RPM, but if you're looking at a 10m I would go with the RPM every day of the week.

rojerbb
Rare Poster

Postby rojerbb » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks everybody!!!

im still undecided i guess the thing it makes me back out, is how bad is the " going upwind " with the RPM! and how the jump also is, because i read a lot that the rally jumps higher and easy and goes upwind better!

So technically as jump whats would be the difference? like 5´difference? 10´? could i match a jumping as good as the rally with an RPM?

also with the upwind? could i match the upwind of the rally with an RPM? ... is important as i like to go in a pretty good angle when im doing upwind, as i like to advance when i have to go against the wind, and not to do as many zig zags.

Can everybody say : GO RPM, GO RALLY. so i can have a poll in here?

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:11 am

go RPM

atkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Orewa,Shakespear park New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Orewa,shakespear park. New Zealand
Style: All above
Gear: 2010 rpm's, Influence grind 138 with boots

Postby atkite » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:53 am

Go rpm in small size 10m-. Go rally for lighter winds 12m+.

Boss_Hog
Rare Poster

Postby Boss_Hog » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:46 pm

atkite wrote:Go rpm in small size 10m-. Go rally for lighter winds 12m+.
+1 for that advice

NotsoShort
Rare Poster
Gear: 14m RPM
10m RPM

Postby NotsoShort » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:29 am

RPMs are great fun, I was thinking of getting a Rallys as thinking along the lines of boost and upwind ability. As I'm 102kg I prefer to be well powered up when riding, when people are lit up on 12m's I'm enjoying being lit up on my 14m. 8) In regards to boosting and going up wind, if you like riding being well powered up theres not problem. I've also got the 10m which I love as its so much fun, I have been out on days when lighter guys have been on their 10's but I was set up fully powered :P so quite impressed with the wind range of them.

rojerbb
Rare Poster

Postby rojerbb » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Thanks everybody!!
Everybody seems to say go RPM!
NotsoShort didnt understand if you were saying that everybody was on 10s and being lighter than you, you were also in a Rally i supposs?
I guess the comment that got me was : RPM - unhooked Rally - Hooked, i want to learn unhooking, and i think to have my first experiences unhooking, and having fun with big jumps, and going better on upwind, i ll be better on Rally, i sure think RPMs are fun, i have use a friends 12m 2009 RPM, which compared to my t3 9m, its feels totally different, which i like. But i guess the Rally will be good for me, as i would like to progress on jumping, and slowing get into freestyle, i want to be better on riding positions, toeside, heelside, controlling the kite, looping ( but not for crazy stuff ). So the question will be if i should get the 10 or 12, i am 75 kg ... here people will be riding 15 to 25kn! what do you think?

and do you support my decision on the Rally? will i have tons of fun?

Return to “Kitesurfing”