Forum for kitesurfers
drewkite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to jybe a race board?

Postby drewkite » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:53 pm

A frien lend me his race gear so ive been racing couple sessions until i get my race board I dont know why but each time i try to pull a gybe or jibe whatever i end in a wipeout i dontknow what the hell i do i just crash!!! i got the tack right and going upwind part down could someone write me down some tips on how to do it or any video out there tutorial?????

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: How to jybe a race board?

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 pm

I find it easier to jibe downwind than to tack up wind. I will leave the answer to your question to more experienced racers.

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:25 am

Hawaiis wrote:I find it easier to jibe downwind than to tack up wind. I will leave the answer to your question to more experienced racers.
i dont know but i always got problem jibing i got the tack down already but more when im going full speed downwind i dont know what the heck im doing i end up wiped out!

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:37 am

If you are pointing straight down wind, you will lose your apparent wind, and fall off. Point the board away from downwind will keep tension in the line and keep you going.

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:44 am

Hawaiis wrote:If you are pointing straight down wind, you will lose your apparent wind, and fall off. Point the board away from downwind will keep tension in the line and keep you going.
thanks ill try it makes sense because when i point downwind my kite kind of wants to fall even i its windy but could you give me the steps on how to jibe?
Thanks

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:45 am

drewkite wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:If you are pointing straight down wind, you will lose your apparent wind, and fall off. Point the board away from downwind will keep tension in the line and keep you going.
thanks ill try it makes sense because when i point downwind my kite kind of wants to fall even i its windy but could you give me the steps on how to jibe?
Thanks
(jibe properly i mean)

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:54 am

These were posted a few days ago:

viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2377490

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UlWOKGUqwI[/youtube]

When I jibe, I take my back foot out of the back strap. Then down loop the kite as I go to toeside. As the kite comes back up, I bring my back foot up to the new front strap and quickly bring my old front foot to the back of the board. I do this move all at once, kind of shuffling my feet along I guess. It helps to bring the kite up high before you switch.

This is the slow way to jibe though. In the video above, he does this type of jibe, and also the faster way. For the faster way you take your back foot out and put it right into the new front strap so you have both feet in the front straps and you're facing the front of the board. I think you can carry a lot more speed through the jibe like this.

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 pm

davesails7 wrote:These were posted a few days ago:

viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2377490

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UlWOKGUqwI[/youtube]

When I jibe, I take my back foot out of the back strap. Then down loop the kite as I go to toeside. As the kite comes back up, I bring my back foot up to the new front strap and quickly bring my old front foot to the back of the board. I do this move all at once, kind of shuffling my feet along I guess. It helps to bring the kite up high before you switch.

This is the slow way to jibe though. In the video above, he does this type of jibe, and also the faster way. For the faster way you take your back foot out and put it right into the new front strap so you have both feet in the front straps and you're facing the front of the board. I think you can carry a lot more speed through the jibe like this.
Nice thanks man, very good video i will problbly try the faster one it also looks easier and saves time!
but i have a question you loop your kite when both feet are in the front strap or before. When do you loop the kite?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:19 am

drewkite wrote:Nice thanks man, very good video i will problbly try the faster one it also looks easier and saves time!
but i have a question you loop your kite when both feet are in the front strap or before. When do you loop the kite?
Not sure, since I don't do the two front strap style jibe yet.

For the way I jibe though, looping the kite really helps you turn the board. Also, when it's light, if you don't loop the kite, the lines get slack and kite starts to stall.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 am

drewkite wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:I find it easier to jibe downwind than to tack up wind. I will leave the answer to your question to more experienced racers.
i dont know but i always got problem jibing i got the tack down already but more when im going full speed downwind i dont know what the heck im doing i end up wiped out!
Don't go full speed downwind. Carve harder, less drawn out, and it will keep power in kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”