Rare Poster
Local Beach: Red Beach
Style: Wave, Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to choose a surfboard for kiting?

Postby thuffam » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Anyone got any suggestions for choosing a surfboard for kiting in waves.

Length, Width, Thickness, number-of-fins, etc?

I'm assuming it's related to things like:
- your height and weight
- the size/type of waves
- the direction of the wind (onshore, cross-on, cross, etc)
- the type of riding you do (strapped/strapless, using wave power to surf or using wind power).

I'm 6 foot, 76kgs, ride strapless, in onshore to cross-on in usually mushy waves. Currently ride a Cabrinha s-quad 6'1" - love the quad fins - great for throwing it around (turns on a dime). Tried an old 6' thruster regular surfboard - didn't particularly like it (didn't turn as easy).

Would be interested to hear what others ride and they comments - and recommendations.

Thanks
Tim

JBD
Medium Poster

Re: How to choose a surfboard for kiting?

Postby JBD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Have you tried different fins on your current board? Also what is it that you don't like about your current board?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:09 pm

like the previous poster...do you have moments when you feel that board should have done this or that....

Look at other shapes, imagine how it would work. Definitely try different fins, they will make your board feel completely different.

I would probably go very different from what you have. Depends on the waves you ride. What you want to do on the board.

thuffam
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Red Beach
Style: Wave, Freeride

Postby thuffam » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Actually I don't have any complaints about my current board.. its pretty sweet.

I'm more curious as I've been looking at the huge range of board offered by each brand.. and I wondered why so many boards within a brand.. are they that different?

Basically wondering, is there something better suited to me, my conditions and style of riding (as mentioned above)

@tautologies - why would you use something different/what would you recommend?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:43 pm

thuffam wrote:Actually I don't have any complaints about my current board.. its pretty sweet.

I'm more curious as I've been looking at the huge range of board offered by each brand.. and I wondered why so many boards within a brand.. are they that different?

Basically wondering, is there something better suited to me, my conditions and style of riding (as mentioned above)

@tautologies - why would you use something different/what would you recommend?
Oh I did not mean you HAD to get something different. I think the board you have is pretty good. Good allround kiteboard. I meant if you were to get a different board, then get something very different.

When that is said, switching up something increases your learning curve, and you can find new areas of kiteboarding you never knew existed.

I like riding different boards, and use them for different things. My latest purchase was the 4'10'' naish skater. It really feel like riding a skateboard.

Finally, yeah sure there are a lot of heuristics, but it is also important to not get sold on any "rule". ie go with what you feel like. If you ask before getting something I am sure people will chime in. For instance if you said you were going to buy a gun for tiny mushy waves in light wind, I'd say it is probably not the best idea ever, but otherwise NO RULES!!!

JBD
Medium Poster

Postby JBD » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:33 am

Based on the conditions you are describing and the desire to try something different I suggest a twin fin fish (5'8). It's going to turn quick and the flatter rocker with additional volume will do well in the mushy waves.

If your wave ridding remeber to think like a surfer not a kiter.

drspike
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Myrtle BEach, SC
Style: All
Gear: Cabrinha, Airush, Ocean Rodeo

Postby drspike » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:07 am

I started riding strapless this summer. Tried many different boards. Im 5'10" 168, live in SE US. Avg wind 15-22 mph. Smallish, wavs, chop. I have been very happy with Wainman Gambler 5'10. Great value, comes with bag, straps if desired, cool inner pocket for tools, fins in bag. Tough, clean colors, graphics. Sets up as quad or tri. Super fun in conditions you describe. Also comfortable at higher speeds. Right amount of size, volume for me. Doesn't fly out in front of wave. Stable for strapless moves. For the quality, and extras, it was the best buy out there other than a beater board on Craigslist or the 5' 8" Sushi from Costco for 60 bucks.

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:16 pm

I recommend just to get a lot of different boards. Buy them used, don't spend more than $400

I've got a high speed quad(naish global), a thruster(6'3" surftech), a skimboard, a race board, and a trunk sized board(4'10" Slingshot globetrotter - current favorite). Every board has its place based on the wind speed, direction, wave size, and most importantly how I'm feeling that day. Don't pay more than $400 for anything, buy used(make sure there is no water intrusion and learn to repair.), and play with a board for about a couple of sessions before giving up on it. Different boards will help you understand eachothers' subtelties and you'll be able to better tap into their potential.

I thought I knew what I wanted when I started riding directional but I now know I had NO idea what I was talking or thinking. You may have an idea of what you want but a couple of months on what you THINK you like and you'll want something different. A couple of weeks on something different you'll realize its what you were missing, you just didn't know it yet...

They make higher preformance, newer, better versions of every board in my quiver, however, I don't like anything enough to justify dropping $800, I'd much rather have 2 or 3 different boards.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:14 pm

^^^^^^agreed^^^^^^^

In the conditions you describe, I'd say something with more volume than your board. Wider, flatter, fishy kind of board. I love my fish for the way it actually surfs in the small stuff that my thruster just bogs in. Once it gets to be a bit much, the thruster is ready to shine.

I'd own 20 diff boards if I had the space and my wife would let me!

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:16 pm

JBD wrote:Based on the conditions you are describing and the desire to try something different I suggest a twin fin fish.
It's going to turn quick and the flatter rocker with additional volume will do well in the mushy waves.
I'm 79 kg, I just ordered a 2011 Slingshot Coupe 6' 0" Twin Fin surfboard.
I hope it is great for all the same reasons somebody else just talked about loving their quad fin.

Return to “Kitesurfing”