Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo Prodigy - All New 3 Strut Freeride Kite

Forum for kitesurfers
ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Ocean Rodeo Prodigy - All New 3 Strut Freeride Kite

Postby ORSales » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Ocean Rodeo is excited to announce its newest kite, The Prodigy.

Available in sizes 3, 5, 7, 9.5, 12 &14m

Designed to be an all new Freeride experience the Prodigy features a compact 3 strut design, ultra stable flight characteristics, a swept shape for simple water relaunch and Adapti-V ultra short bridles which maintain positive steering even when heavily de-powered.

Check out the video below and hit up your local retailer or our online store to get your quiver sorted today! We are offering amazing prices on this new kite and 1st Ride packages complete with a board and bar and lines!

Sizes 9.5, 12 & 14 ship immediately! Sizes 3, 5 & 7m available August 1st!

Ocean Rodeo has been producing cutting edge kites for over 11 years with a solid history of innovation, attention to detail and customer support!

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo Prodigy - All New 3 Strut Freeride Kite

Postby Slappysan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Looks like a great kite!

How's it fit in with the Rise in the product range?

Will the Flite be changing over to be based on the Prodigy instead of the Rise? The prodigy seems more suited to LW adaptation.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ed257 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:18 am

Looks quite delta-like. I wonder how it compares to Kahoona, Wainman, and Ralley?

Are there any reviews yet?

Does anyone know the wind ranges by size?

Ed

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Hey guys!

Rise is sadly no longer! We are in the final stages of selling out of the ones we have left. The massive wind range of the Razor this year really took a lot of, ahem, wind out of the sails of the Rise. The Prodigy comes in as a dedicated freeride kite for seasoned vets looking for an ultra stable, predictable kite which won't spank them - also making it an ideal introductory / school kite.

Meanwhile the Razor takes over (officially assumes) top dog status in the line up along side the Cypher as our two premier kites. The Flite will always continue to evolve as we seek better and better light wind performance!

Ed - we don't usually publish wind ranges due to the massive variations caused by weight of rider, board size and style, water conditions and currents as well as wind temperatures. What I can tell you is that the sizes sub into the existing OR line up perfectly and you can expect the same low end grunt from the Prodigy as from all of our kites, its an equally efficient foil.

Martyd
Rare Poster

Postby Martyd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:35 pm

Hey All,

I was lucky enough to try out the 9.5m Prodigy on tues. I have to say I was a little skeptical seeing as it is marketed as an easy to fly kite and I am more into the high performance end of things.
Out of the bag, first thing I noticed was the wicked design! This kite looks great! The new bag is pretty spiffy too. The next thing was the large sturdy looking leading edge. Looks like it would survive a crash or 2 into the Cook st cliff!
Pumped up and got out there and right off the bat surprised with the amount of power. Looked pretty light and onshore out there(18- 20kn way out), but I was cranking up wind no problem! The kite is not quick and zippy like a Razor, but more smooth and steady. Turns are a bit slower to initiate, but once it starts it rips through them. This feature will be great for beginner and intermediate kiters that have trouble with the kite drifting around the window as they are concentrating on other things. Bar pressure is a little bit heavier than a Razor, but steady throughout the range. I was riding full till and I sheeted the bar all the way in just to see what would happen. Kite drifted slightly back in the window, then stopped. I kept going upwind with minimal loss of speed. Great feature for those bar squeezing noobs. I bombed over to Ross bay to join all the other kiters and try out my first jump. WOW!!! Can you say hang time :o Very nice relaunch too! Didn't even touch the bar, kite just rolled over and sat at the edge of the window. Ate it on the first few jumps as it jumps very differently than a Razor, but some nice buttery smooth lofty landing once I had it figured out. Water was flat and wind was steady so I tried unhooking her. This thing rocks unhooked 8) The kite just sat there with a nice steady pull. Usually I am doing all I can to keep the kite in the air after a landing(unhooked riding not quite my forte) but the Prodigy just hung out around 1030 while I fumbled with the bar and chicken loop trying to hook back in. Bombed back over to the launch as the wind was dying and noticed the bottom end on the kite. I played around for about half an hour before I realized there were only 2 kites left out of the 20+ when I started Decided to try a few kiteloops for shits and giggles, but again surprisingly landed a few! Once it starts to loop... it goes around fast with a lot of loft on the landing Even stomped a big F-16 and Kiteloop Railie
Final thoughts on the Prodigy. Pleasantly surprised on all fronts. The OR boys have been talking a lot about the kite but it never really sparked my interest. After riding it has grabbed my attention! For me I will be stoked to try teaching with this kite and think I would take her out for a ride on the lighter days or when I am wanting to try some handle crashes :wink: In big winds or big surf I am going to stick with my trusty Razor :)
Get out and try one! I'm sure you will Love it

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:59 pm

ORSales wrote:Hey guys!
Rise is sadly no longer! We are in the final stages of selling out of the ones we have left. The massive wind range of the Razor this year really took a lot of, ahem, wind out of the sails of the Rise. The Prodigy comes in as a dedicated freeride kite for seasoned vets looking for an ultra stable, predictable kite which won't spank them - also making it an ideal introductory / school kite.
Meanwhile the Razor takes over (officially assumes) top dog status in the line up along side the Cypher as our two premier kites. The Flite will always continue to evolve as we seek better and better light wind performance!....
yes, Martyd, we'll try.

good to know the rise is over!
i'm sick and tired of hearing the kite with high profile is for nubies only. somehow the low profile is massively creeping into the kite ranges, presumably as the "high performance" kites.

i just want to warn the kite brands: you are keeping with low profile kites, you'll losing the buyers...

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:34 am

oh year,

and i can not leave it without the gloating...

how about the zigzaging the leading edge?

what a losers...

windsurfer-resurrection
Been thanked: 0

Postby windsurfer-resurrection » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:52 pm

eree wrote:oh year,

and i can not leave it without the gloating...

how about the zigzaging the leading edge?

what a losers...
Dude what is your point?

The FST (Forward swept Technology) works great on the Razor and the discontinued Rise.)

tbennett
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby tbennett » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Why so inexpensive? What gives?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:48 am

Lks a decent profile and yes a fair bit of delta. Lot of these on the market though, can't see how it could differentiate itself.

Return to “Kitesurfing”