Forum for kitesurfers
braveman
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Looking for light wind board

Postby braveman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:02 am

Got my Bandit5 14m for a while now, the low end is CRAZY and the fun is still there.
When i just got it i tried a few "Light wind" boards and my two finalists were the 145 Xenon Rayo and the Fone Trax LW.
The low end on these two is probably about 1Knt higher than all the huge flat boards but you can still have loads of fun with them.
it's just that i got bored really fast with all the others and had great fun with these two.

pdg345
Rare Poster

Postby pdg345 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks to all for recommendations.
I prefer to stick with twintips. Don't like surf boards in the chop and not a fan of them overall. What I'm looking for is the best choice from twintip boards for light wind. And I'm ready to pay for it if will be sure that board is worth it.
Last weekend had chance to try out Aboards Glider 154 and Litewave Wing 161. Haven't made final decision yet, but Glider liked a bit better. Any recommendations for something else of this type boards?
As regards to Xenon Rayo 145, tried it once and it can't be compared with real light wind boards. Think the same is with all this size boards. That's why have decided to go for something bigger.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:47 pm

pdg345 wrote:....And I'm ready to pay for it if will be sure that board is worth it.
Carved Predator at 161X50cm : http://www.carved.de/products/predator

Kober1974
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook NJ

Postby Kober1974 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Not everyone have chance to demo boards before buying ..... glad you got that opportunity .....
If you decide to go with Glider make sure you get Anatomic pads/straps.... I just have another session yesteday and after total of ~10 I am glad that I decided to go with Aboards ....
After one major crash I been pull downwind far away from my board that was up side down ..... Red fins help a lot to spot board in chop ..... My previous board would be invisible in situation like this .....
As mentioned before ... I pick largest size of Glider .... It gets me doing almost in same conditions as my Sector 60 that require a bit more skills and cargo space in you car .... lol ....
Let us know what you pick and you first impressions ......

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Séb wrote:
pdg345 wrote:....And I'm ready to pay for it if will be sure that board is worth it.
nice if you have $1500 for about 750 you can get a custom, 100% carbon BTS. I weight 200lbs, and it get me out and planing in 10ish knots (140x42). As soon as I have a few buck hanging around I will have a 150x48 made (although a 145x46 could be it for full fledge fun in 8-10 knots). This board is so darn smooth in chop, you can use it whenever underpowered so you get out in 25 knots and an 8m then the wind drops to 15, no need to change kite, just the board... in 15knots, you have chop and this is where doors and other lightwind boars don't do it. So it is not a light wind board, it is a low kite power board...lol

pdg345
Rare Poster

Postby pdg345 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:10 am

Decided to go for aboards Glider 154 since couldn't get it out of my mind after trying. This board goes for planning easily and is very comfortable (perhaps also due to that pads). So purchase has been made and will receive my light wind toy in 2 weeks.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:13 am

Congrats. Give us a report back after ya ridden it a few times.

strokes
Rare Poster

Postby strokes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi there! I'm also looking for light wind board. Actually not quite looking - already know that i will buy Aboards Glider, I have their Flip board and i totally satisfied with quality and performance Aboards provides. So decided to stick with already checked values.
The question is only about size. I'm 178cm, 75kg. Which size would fit for me better? 147x45 or 154x48 ?

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:58 pm

flipper231 wrote:
Séb wrote:
nice if you have $1500 for about 750 you can get a custom, 100% carbon BTS. I weight 200lbs, and it get me out and planing in 10ish knots (140x42). As soon as I have a few buck hanging around I will have a 150x48 made (although a 145x46 could be it for full fledge fun in 8-10 knots). This board is so darn smooth in chop, you can use it whenever underpowered so you get out in 25 knots and an 8m then the wind drops to 15, no need to change kite, just the board... in 15knots, you have chop and this is where doors and other lightwind boars don't do it. So it is not a light wind board, it is a low kite power board...lol
Im 175 pounds and I use my flydoor 163 in all kinds of wind. Because the wind is so gusty at our lake (10-25) a smaller board (even 144) just has you sink in the lulls. I love the flydoor even in higher wind because it cruises over the chop (say 1 foot chop). But I also use it very nicely in 3ft confused swell as it basically can surf the swell. When the wind is consistent on the coast I switch down to a 131 or 140 board. But what I have found is that in the 3ft confused swell the smaller boards are actually harder to ride because they get caught in the swell.

Kober1974
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook NJ

Postby Kober1974 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:57 am

strokes.... what size is you Flip ? I have Glider 164 and Z-series 136 that let me use same kite when conditions change rapidly ... Before that my board set was 147 and 154 and that was way too small difference ....

Return to “Kitesurfing”