AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Looking for light wind board

Postby AndKite » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:19 pm

http://blankforce.com/kiteboards/drive- ... iteboards/

Check these boards out! The Drive is a fantastic lightwind board, and we also use them for school.

They are flexible and nice and with 6 fins (2 underneath the heels) the grip and upwind ability is crazy.

I use the 149 often, in marginal conditions. Alot better lightwind abilities than a normal TT but still flexy and agile so you can have fun on it! Good stuff!

The 159 is really nice in light winds!

Good quality, good looking! Try them!

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:21 pm

patrick28
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby patrick28 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:53 pm

don't agree to those who advising surf boards. yes they are cheap but also easy to break. so i would better go for twintip especially on shallow water where surf fins break off often enough.

bayron
Medium Poster

Postby bayron » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Paula wrote:Looking for light wind board as well. When wind is low, mine 133cm board is not capable to let me kite when others are on the water. :(
Looked through this topic and see that many are recommending race boards over usual twintip. Sorry for my lack of competence, but could someone explain me main differences between them?
I think that race board suits only if you ride with it everyday. To use it as light wind option is not good thought. Race board is too tricky if you don't know how to use it right. Just recently saw how guy get seriously injured with fin when his race board turned upside down.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:19 pm

I agree with Mr.bayron.
RACE boards are very tricky and you need to get use in riding them. Also because of the long fins, you have to be careful where you use them, plus if you have lots of sea weeds in the water it becomes very frustrating. Same thing if you kite in shallow waters.
But once you get use to it and like to plane fast in light winds or go fast in strong winds plus go upwind like a maniac in few words: "Race", then yes go with a RACE board.

KoenM
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: hamata
Style: old school
Gear: Aboards zseries 2013 133*41
Aboards X-series 2012 131*40
Aboards surfboard 2009 5'6
Brand Affiliation: Aboards team rider

Postby KoenM » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:40 pm

So if you just want more fun without a struggle, take a lightwind twintip.

If you have ambitions in racing, waveriding and want to make an extra effort go for racing or waveboard.

I still want to foul around a bit and make some jumps, so I'm going to go for the Aboards glider as well.

They have a good reputation for quality.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:09 pm

bayron wrote:
Paula wrote:Looking for light wind board as well. When wind is low, mine 133cm board is not capable to let me kite when others are on the water. :(
Looked through this topic and see that many are recommending race boards over usual twintip. Sorry for my lack of competence, but could someone explain me main differences between them?
I think that race board suits only if you ride with it everyday. To use it as light wind option is not good thought. Race board is too tricky if you don't know how to use it right. Just recently saw how guy get seriously injured with fin when his race board turned upside down.
Nonsense. You do not have to ride it everyday. Just like anything else you'll have to get used to it..and it is different from a tt.
how seriously did he get injured? Ive not heard of any one getting seriously hurt from the fins turning upside down.

Kobrin
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zeebrugge, Vrouwenpolder
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, hamata kitevillage, kremasti
Style: Big air, freestyle, wake
Gear: North vegas 12m 2008

North evo 2009 7m and 2012 9m

Aboards Z-series 2013 133*41
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby Kobrin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:34 pm

A test between lightwind boards would be great!

bayron
Medium Poster

Postby bayron » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:37 am

tautologies wrote:
bayron wrote:
Nonsense. You do not have to ride it everyday. Just like anything else you'll have to get used to it..and it is different from a tt.
how seriously did he get injured? Ive not heard of any one getting seriously hurt from the fins turning upside down.
The wind stopped guy lost his board and it turned upside down. When he swam back and tried to put board in right position sudden gust pulled his kite and he got very deep cut between 2 fingers with one of fins.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:53 am

Finally managed to get my north nugget out in light wind conditions. You can see how light it is in the video. My 10m falls back out of the sky from 12 and I had to steer it into a dive just to recover it. I have videos about 5 minutes later of it being too light to relaunch standing in 20cm of water. I'm 80kg's (176lbs) in case you're wondering how heavy I am.

Will try take it out with the straps next time and see how it compares.

http://youtu.be/n4B-RgeL8l4
Last edited by MissionMan on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”