Medium Poster
Gear: EPIC KITEBOARDING
Brand Affiliation: IKO/PADI/EPIC/WAINMAN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: obsession vs bandit 5 vs renegade

Postby Flysurf77 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:07 pm

DJwilson,
I ve been using the Renegade for few years now and loving it.
This is a great all around kite, has some great pop, insane water relaunch and awesome toy for the waves.
It actually comes with an extra set on 15m lines to use in the waves and make it super fun and fast turning, nice detail from EPIC.
If you are looking for a kite that :" I want this new kite to give e a bit more pep, be a little faster, and provide better lift ", I d suggest you to look at the Screamer 10Ltd that has the pop/lift of the Screamer line but a bit more grunty with more rounded wingtips to make it a great wave riding kite.
I haven t flown the RRD neither the Fone so won t make any comment on those kites.
:mosh:

DJwilson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South coast UK
Favorite Beaches: Nappeague, USA
Paros, GREECE
Wissand, FRANCE
Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby DJwilson » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Guys

thanks for all your feedback. Much appreciated. My feeling is that I am probably being drawn towards the more high aspect models, so am discounting the bandit, and though I started this thread talking about the renegade, some of you have been mentioning the qualities of the screamer. My friend has a 10m ltd which i flew briefly the other day, and loved, but i have my concerns with it falling out of the sky if you over fly it on jumps or catch it up coming down wind. There s no doubt it s a great kite, but is it a little too twitchy? I don t know. I was down at the beach yesterday and there were a ton of Edge kites out, and i have to say that they looked great.

My next question then, if any of you can still be bothered to be reading this, is what would provide more versatility between the screamer and the edge? Both are great up wind, boost fantastically, and super fast. Does either kite though have one extra standout quality that the other lacks? And how really do the modern 4 line edges compare to the classic 5 line kites of old?

Thanks in advance
Wilson

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:13 pm

thanks for all your feedback. Much appreciated. My feeling is that I am probably being drawn towards the more high aspect models, so am discounting the bandit, and though I started this thread talking about the renegade, some of you have been mentioning the qualities of the screamer. My friend has a 10m ltd which i flew briefly the other day, and loved, but i have my concerns with it falling out of the sky if you over fly it on jumps or catch it up coming down wind. There s no doubt it s a great kite, but is it a little too twitchy? I don t know. I was down at the beach yesterday and there were a ton of Edge kites out, and i have to say that they looked great.

My next question then, if any of you can still be bothered to be reading this, is what would provide more versatility between the screamer and the edge? Both are great up wind, boost fantastically, and super fast. Does either kite though have one extra standout quality that the other lacks? And how really do the modern 4 line edges compare to the classic 5 line kites of old?

Thanks in advance
Wilson
Hello Mr.DJwilson,
The SCREAMER 10 LTD is for more advance riders. The only reason they are twitchy is because they are very fast. Any kite that you'll over fly will fall out of the sky unless you move it back fast. This is one of the reason why the SCREAMER is so fast, so when you jump and over fly the S10 just pull on your front or back hand (depending what move you are doing) to bring it back down to its window. But if you jump and don't move the kite, then "yes" you will jump so far down wind that the kite will be behind you.
The EDGE is also a great kite but after trying both of them the SCREAMER has definitely more hang time a little faster. But the pop is the same. But once again you should demo both of them and see what you like.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:41 pm

My 3G Screamer 10 LTD turns faster than the 2011 Edge 11M I tried a couple weeks back, gives me better control in the air, I can move the kite forward quickly if I've sent it back too far.
I can pull it back a bit and sheet in just before landing and come down super soft.
Also, is your friends Screamer 10 LTD a 3G (2012) model year?.. or is it a 2011 or 2010 model year?
The 3G is a very improved kite over the first two years, in my opinion.
I demo-ed the 2011 S10 kite before buying the 3G S10 and the 3G is much better.

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby chirojoseph » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Im gonna jump in on this thread as Im interested in similar kites, have experience with them, but mostly a big question...

can anybody compare the wind range of the Renegade 13 to the Obsession 12? Ive been on the 12 for almost 2 years now, I know it inside and out and love it. But Now that I own a 2012 Bandit 10 meter, Id like to change my quiver a bit and have a kite that gets me powered in just a LITTLE lesss wind than the 12. I wonder if the Renegad 13 actually has more grunt and is lighter (id imagine as it has 2 less struts)) as I will be using it almost exclusively riding a surfboard in on and side-on mushy wave conditions.

I have to chime in here also and say that my FIRST good days with teh 10 mt Bandit I was totally lit dropping into 2.5 meter face waves in side-off conditions and had to totally depower and slack the rear lines in order to not get blown off the wave....the kite BARELY flutters and handled the excess power (when blasting back upwind to the top of the lineup) suuuper smooth. Dont put this kite in the same category as a "low aspect" Smoke (which Ive also owned and ridden a lot)...its more high aspect tthan you think..at least more than I had thought!

Anyway, anybody could confirm if the 13 renegade might do the trick in 12-13 knots for 80 kilo rider on 6ft surfboard?? My 12mt obsession works great from a SOLID 13-14 on up...but theres lots of days when Im JUST a bit underpowered to make the sections I want to hit on the waves.

Thanx and good winds.
Salu2 OneBall Jay in brazil

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:15 am

I fly the Renegade 13M LTD V2 as my lightwind kite.
No monster kites, just don't want the really big ones anymore.
I can indeed use the R13 in 13 knots (15mph) with a 6 foot surfboard.
Also use it in 13 knots with my 135X47 twintip.
It's a medium aspect three strut kite (so it's light) with good solid bottom end, it turns pivotally but pulls through the turns very nicely.
Turns quickly for a 13M so it's easy to keep in the air during the lulls, but relaunches in very little wind when you try something new and drop it.
It's a very stall resistant kite and is an easy jumper.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 am

Anyway, anybody could confirm if the 13 renegade might do the trick in 12-13 knots for 80 kilo rider on 6ft surfboard?? My 12mt obsession works great from a SOLID 13-14 on up...but theres lots of days when Im JUST a bit underpowered to make the sections I want to hit on the waves.
Hello Mr.chirojoseph,
I weight 180 lbs which is around 80 km and I use the RENEGADE 13 ltd with the REEF 5'7" surf board usually from 11 to 15 knots max. If the wind picks up I change Surf Boards to a narrow one. Or I change kites to 11 or 9 meter RENEGADE. So for sure you can have a blast in 12 to 14 knots on your surf board and the RENEGADE 13. But also it depends of the current and where you kite.

P.S. By the way I use it on 15 meter lines that comes as extra in the bags. So if you use 22 meter or bigger for sure you will have more power.
Attachments
DSC_0012 1.jpg
DSC_0013 2.jpg
11 to 15 knots on 15 meters and 22 meters.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”