bigdaddy
Rare Poster
Style: wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

flexifoil Hadlow ID

Postby bigdaddy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:04 pm

got the chance to try out the new hadlow ID and haven't seen many reviews on it so i thought i would share my thoughts on it.
I wanted to try it out as I wanted a kite for wakestyle but without the trouble of "c" kites (relaunch). I must say flexifoil have really done a good job with this kite as this is the only hybrid I have enjoyed flying (i have tried nomad,rpm etc....)
I really like the bar pressure on the ID, not too heavy but not too light. the bar pressure was my problem with the rpm, it felt "spongy". Relaunch is also very easy, just pull on a steering line and up it goes. one thing that amazed me was the slack in the lines after you pop, since it is an SLE, I expected it to have very little slack but there was so much that I managed to land my first flat 3.
The ID was okay for boosting but I was a little under powered so I cant really comment on that, there is also plenty of pop.
The bar is simple and easy to use, it's also very grippy.
All in all it is a great kite,very user friendly but yet a great performer and would defiantly buy one if I had the cash, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a second hand one to pop up. :naughty:
I also think it is one of the best looking kite out there which is a nice bonus. :thumb:

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Re: flexifoil Hadlow ID

Postby WildDuke » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:06 am

Yeah, I was looking at the ID this morning. I like the look of it too!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:22 am

so how was the relaunch? according to the other thread on this kite even the dealers admit you have to relaunch it like an oldschool c-kite by flipping it on its back, unless you happen to crash it at the very edge of the window

bigdaddy
Rare Poster
Style: wakestyle

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:13 pm

surprised to hear that about the relaunch, most of the time the kite just fell to the side of the window and waited for me to relaunch it but I did crash straight downwind about three times and every time I just pulled on a steering line and it was up in about 5 seconds. I thought it was a very easy kite to relaunch (coming off an 06 vegas).

ralfiboy
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle

Postby ralfiboy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:52 pm

I loved the kite, but the bar fucking sucked. That grippy stuff almost tore up my hands in half an hour of kiting, and the chickenloop was way too small. You can prolly change that though.

I can also add that it boosts great when powered.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:23 am

ralfiboy wrote:I loved the kite, but the bar fucking sucked. That grippy stuff almost tore up my hands in half an hour of kiting, and the chickenloop was way too small. You can prolly change that though.

I can also add that it boosts great when powered.
if you have the iD specific bar they're supposed to come with two different chicken loops, a small one with a donkey dick on it and a larger one with the swivel (same one that comes with the c-kite bar)

sprockett
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ruakaka Beach, One tree point,......
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines
Gear: Nobile, Flexifoil, Sprockett Boards
Brand Affiliation: Sprockett Boards (owner)

Postby sprockett » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:11 am

Ive got the 12M,
I found the bar reach was very far with the big CL but just right with the small one.
I suppose if you're unhooking the power of the kite is set differently and the powered position is bar fully in.. compared to 70% in when riding hooked in.
The boost on this kite is why i got it, How high do you wanna go. and it loops fast.

It sits a little back in the window but still pulled upwind without any issues.
Relaunch in marginal winds is a pain. But in good winds it was acceptable.
I found the bar texture good and the bar pressure Medium.

Think i will be adding a 10m soon.

AmericanRonin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Hampshire Seacoast
Favorite Beaches: Silver Sands, Barbados. Cabarete. Corpus Christi.
Style: Wave Rider
Gear: 6' Crazyfly Strapless, BWS TDZ

Postby AmericanRonin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 am

I've got a quiver of these. I like them, they're well constructed and fly well enough. My one gripe, aside from the bar grip (which, as somebody already said, shred your hands) is the relaunch. I've had my kites flip over backwards and invert the lines on me a couple of times. Pretty annoying. I know that can happen to anyone but these seemed to happen a bit more than any other kite I've ever flown. And the relaunch really can be finicky. Aside from that, though: I like'm.

Arhimed
Rare Poster

Postby Arhimed » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:16 am

I own the 10m now for 5 months, and I love it. Its really a freestyle machine. Relaunch is a bit harder, but nothing too hard.

I am planing to buy 8m also.

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites:
- 2010 RRD Obsession 10.5m
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow ID 12m
Boards:
- 2009 RRD Placebo (133x40cm)
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow MK2 (134cm)

Postby pwnd550 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:22 am

I have the 12m and had the chance to ride it almost everyday this summer in 16-25 knots of wind. This kite does not have that much depower as other kites, but I could still ride in 25 knots (i weight 60kg).
To relaunch it, you have to do the oldschool way, otherwise, it will not move to the side of the wind window. The kite has a lot of power, which is great, but I have not tried the more power and unhooked settings. You do not need to trim the kite in order to unhook, that's a great thing. The kite is very well built, and seems like it will last a while (I hope!). However, I have not found the grip on the bar to be that disturbing, and your hands quickly get used to it and you will just end a session with sensitive hands. The bar pressure did not tire my arms way more than with other kites, like the RRD obsession 2010, but it sure is heavy. The design is great, very noticeable in the sky. With my skills, the lowend of the kite is not that great, I cannot enjoy a good session under 14 knots (i have a 132x40 tt).

Return to “Kitesurfing”