Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 Cabrinha Drifter 13m ... any feedback

Postby polarstorm » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:40 am

peterheirman wrote:Are there any waves hen you would use a 13m Cab Drifter ? That's for 10-16knots then no waves but ripples on the sea

As from 16-17 knots I can go on a 7m delta and I will go faster and turn shorter with my 5'9"
groundswell yes.. and the undertow/currents can be massive (-5kn?), causing a kite size that is otherwise used in flat still water, to simply not be enough to compensate... undertow and ocean swell can mess up conditions a bit..

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:40 am

My question is really in relation to a 2013 9m Drifter.

I like the IDS system for packing down in shallow water in a way that I can reverse the pack down and drift launch it.
It works well with the Crossbow and the Switchblade in that if I pull down the centreline, the kite will land at the side of the window and flip over into the parked position.
Like this:

Does the Drifter do the same thing?
Also does it tend to Yo-Yo up and down if in the U position downwind on the IDS in very strong wind?

I know a few of the Cabs (like the Nomad) behave differently on the IDS.

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Drifters behave properly on the IDS. I land mine that way all the time.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:15 pm

alpower wrote:Drifters behave properly on the IDS. I land mine that way all the time.
Thanks Al, - good to know.

With IDS going after 2013, I'm thinking of maybe getting one while its available and have it for when my current gear wears out.

The best place near me has lots of shallow water but no beach and lots of broken shells in the sand when the tide's out.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:19 am

4 years later and back to the original question… what do you think about the 13m Drifter? Last post was 2013 but in 2014 they reworked the Drifter to eliminate pulleys, tune to a low V (IDS dropped in 2014) and work with a single line safety (again no IDS, Yea!). In 2016 they added a bridle tuning option for offshore or onshore. I did find this comment on the 13m “What I Didn't Like: This kite requires a bit more effort to go upwind, especially in 11 and 13 meter sizes, and when riding a twin tip. Also, while the Drifter has great range, it lacks a little on the low end.”

I’m 90kg so I tend to ride a size bigger kite and use a larger volume board than most of the other riders out. Welcoming any non-sponsored feedback on the 13m Drifter, especially 2014 or newer would be appreciated?

Question #2, do you think a 13m/9m Drifter combo would have enough overlap?

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:26 am

I have seen many people flying the 13 meter Drifter . From observing other kite surfers they are amazing kites but when the wind is light, below 15 knots you may be walking up wind all the time. cheers
I don't own a Drifter. I like the NEOs because of the power but they are slow to turn. Where I kite surf the winds are always marginal. cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”