Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RSX is taking legal action against ISAF

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: RSX is taking legal action against ISAF

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:43 am

different classes will emerge no doubt about it - anyone can choose their path, mostly based on $$$

yo Gunnar, hows it

i know that the 3 kite rule was isaf - which it is why is was in brackets after my comment so others would know too. anyway you cleared that up if not obvious to most people...

What is a kite racing expert? I would say it is someone with top 5 results in international competition where most of teh worlds top riders were competing (like 80%+ of them) - that is my opinion...

For sure i know markus wrote some of that report cos he actually said so on facebook if my memory serves me well.

point 3 is that i think it should be a flagging leash - not a suicide on a high depower kite - has nearly killed 2 of my friends - no stress - only my opinion.. When it comes to kite tangles having a flagging leash of one line can get you out of deep 5hit!

as for point 4 - that is exactly up for discussion forum styles

Forums are good , thanks for your input dispite Markus asking kite racers not to comment on facebook. Keep it real... keep kiteboarders in control of kiteboarding.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:23 am

The IKA is not ISAF. The IKA is our own Class Association which is made up out of the Member Countries. The IKA is "us" and we made our own rules until now in Kiteracing. The ISAF did not come into it. The 3 Kite rule was "our" idea not the ISAF.

I think it is better to have somone writing the report who has no vested interest in Kiting. Neither of the 3 had any vested interest in pushing Kiting. Tomasz and Illker are very much pro Windsurf and especially Illker was very sceptical in the beginning of the Format Trials.

After we showed them what we could do, that changed and the report was favourable.

I think this was the best way to go. Kiting "experts" have their own biases and would not have been taken seriously. It is far stronger to be judged ready for the Olympics by people who are biased against us.

About the Safety leash rule, I have to agree with you. Problem is that most of the race kites will not flag so well on a single line. The bridles will prevent the kite from flagging completely and the kites may death loop in a tangle situation when you release onto a single line. The kite manufacturers will need to come up with kites that will not do that.

--
Gunnar

longwhitecloud wrote:different classes will emerge no doubt about it - anyone can choose their path, mostly based on $$$

yo Gunnar, hows it

i know that the 3 kite rule was isaf - which it is why is was in brackets after my comment so others would know too. anyway you cleared that up if not obvious to most people...

What is a kite racing expert? I would say it is someone with top 5 results in international competition where most of teh worlds top riders were competing (like 80%+ of them) - that is my opinion...

For sure i know markus wrote some of that report cos he actually said so on facebook if my memory serves me well.

point 3 is that i think it should be a flagging leash - not a suicide on a high depower kite - has nearly killed 2 of my friends - no stress - only my opinion.. When it comes to kite tangles having a flagging leash of one line can get you out of deep 5hit!

as for point 4 - that is exactly up for discussion forum styles

Forums are good , thanks for your input dispite Markus asking kite racers not to comment on facebook. Keep it real... keep kiteboarders in control of kiteboarding.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:46 am

gmb13 wrote:

About the Safety leash rule, I have to agree with you. Problem is that most of the race kites will not flag so well on a single line. The bridles will prevent the kite from flagging completely and the kites may death loop in a tangle situation when you release onto a single line. The kite manufacturers will need to come up with kites that will not do that.

Gunnar
Did the ISAF get a chance to see how a kite tangle at a start is handled?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:08 pm

ronnie wrote:
gmb13 wrote:

Gunnar
Yes they did.

We demonstrated everything that can happen in a Race.

I even kited back into the Marina Harbour in 6 knots offshore wind. Landed my 21m2 Foil in the Windshadow of the Sailing Club, packed down in about 5 minutes, just in time for the following boat to give me lift for the last 50 m back to the slipway ;-)

--
Gunnar

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Yes they did.

We demonstrated everything that can happen in a Race.

I even kited back into the Marina Harbour in 6 knots offshore wind. Landed my 21m2 Foil in the Windshadow of the Sailing Club, packed down in about 5 minutes, just in time for the following boat to give me lift for the last 50 m back to the slipway ;-)

--
Gunnar
Well done.
I am sure the kite course racing will be well recieved in Rio - IF- there is enough wind, there is not a technology/money wins situation, and the competitors are all there to race fairly above winning.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:23 am

I can see why the Americans voted for kitesurfing to be retained in the Olympics.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-last-wor ... 5#48431865

Scribbler
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Scribbler » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:44 am

ronnie wrote:I can see why the Americans voted for kitesurfing to be retained in the Olympics.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-last-wor ... 5#48431865
Remarkable... Where to start...
- Confusing John Kerry's kitesurfing with windsurfing
- Showing a kitesurfer (Kerry) whilst babbling about windsurfing equipment
- Claiming an American invented it in 1971 (Peter Chilvers, a Brit, holds prior art from 1958)

How does the truth ever find its way out in the USA ?

kitewindunite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitewindunite » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Gunnar,

Regarding who wrote the ISAF reports:

From the press releases, it looks like there were two reports. One called 'technical', and the other called 'evaluation'. The folks you listed wrote the 'evaluation' report, it seems, while the 'technical' report was written by Markus, Bruno, Gebi, etc. Hardly a pro-windsurfing bunch! lol

It's that last report that's so controversial...

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:54 pm

kitewindunite wrote:Gunnar,

Regarding who wrote the ISAF reports:

From the press releases, it looks like there were two reports. One called 'technical', and the other called 'evaluation'. The folks you listed wrote the 'evaluation' report, it seems, while the 'technical' report was written by Markus, Bruno, Gebi, etc. Hardly a pro-windsurfing bunch! lol

It's that last report that's so controversial...
Markus, Gebi and Bruno all probably windsurf better than they kite. They may not be pro-windsurf, but neither are they against it. Gebi was the one guy who was really clear on that we should not be fighting against windsurfing.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:15 pm

When i listened to Neil Pryde's interview he mentions "One design"

This means that the winsurf board and sails brand / size used during olympic racing are all the same

Shouldn't it be also "One design" rules for kitesurfing racing in the Olympics?

Every competitor on the exact same board and exact same kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”