Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Top Windsurfers said to take up Kiteboarding for Rio 2016

Forum for kitesurfers
recoprianto
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kitebeach, Maui
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island, CA; La Ventana, Mexico; all of NE Brazil; Kite Beach, Maui
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo, North Dice, Custom Surf, North Team Series
Brand Affiliation: North USA team rider
Has thanked: 0

Re: Top Windsurfers said to take up Kiteboarding for Rio 201

Postby recoprianto » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:14 pm

kitewindunite wrote:I don't think too many kitesurf in the Bay: not just because there's very little wind, but because the water is foul... I read somewhere that 70% of the public waste of the surrounding city empties out into the Bay! Not very inviting...
The water was really foul about 5 years ago. Since they were awarded the olympics, they have been cleaning up the waterways and bay frantically. It is much better than it used to be, but they have a long way to go.

I have a house in Flamengo on the bay and the beaches are beautiful and the locals swim in the water, but I would not want to. It does get windy in there if the coast is windy, just not as windy and it will probably be gusty.

I think it would be doable especially if they are flexible with exactly where in the bay. Competitors better get their shots before... :oops:
Attachments
DSCN2362.JPG

McAbe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Praia da Barra
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby McAbe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:32 am

Having the competitions in the bay would not be so good in several ways (compared to Barra beach).
-Nasty water
-Less and more unpredictable wind
-Less spectator friendly, except for following boats
-The bay is crowded by offshore vessels

The downside I can see with the beach is that the waves can be quite big, but an Olympic athlete should be able to handle that.

Last year I shoot a race competition at Barra beach in this vid :D
https://vimeo.com/16937594

It wont embed ?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks McAbe,

Sounds like Barra beach is the place to hold the kitesurfing. The ISAF have gone out on a limb and are going to have to justify their decision in face of a much more convincing presentation by the windsurf representatives.

If the ISAF stick to their kitesurf in decision, its in their interests for it to be a success. They dont want a debacle with the kites falling out of the sky and the competition not finished.

Barra beach also looks much more like people's image of Rio than the bay, so it would be good for kiting and Rio to show that side of the city.

It would also favour the current kiters to hold the racing at Barra beach if the conditions are similar to your video, which was shot only about 3? weeks later in the year than the Olympics.
It would make it less equipment controlled and more a skill competition too.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:10 pm

When total strangers (to the sport..never seen it before) at the beach as me....

What do you call that ??

I answer Kitesurfing if you are on a board designed to ride in one direction...much like Windsurfing

There is also Kiteboarding which use a board designed to ride equally well in both direction...
........much like Wakeboarding..

So here is my point to you all

Windsurfers will take up Kitesurfing for Rio 2016
Kitesurfing is the Olympic sport here....directionals with straps just like Windsurfing

We are fortunate to use kites because of the variety of water vehicles we can use successfully

The windsurfers do not have the choice to do also windboarding ( bidirectional riding) with sails

Maybe one day there will be Kiteboarding (areials tricks etc)...just like gymnastics in Olympics

But the truth remains that it should be renamed KITESURFING for RIO

The type of water you ride in has nothing to do with the name of the sport

Windsurfing is done in waves or flat water and is still call that

Because their boards have a tail and nose with fins in the back only and travel in one direction

..........................just my opinion of course.....but maybe others think the same way......scary :lol:

juaorpo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Spain
Favorite Beaches: Bimini

Postby juaorpo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Toby wrote:The 2012 Olympic Windsurfing Competition came to an end yesterday with Dorian van Rijsselberghe and Marina Alabau taking Olympic Gold. But it seems that we will see at least some of the top sailors back on the race courses very soon.

Dutch van Rijsselberghe said right after his victory, that he has no strong feelings on which board he would prefer to use at the Rio Games. Dutch officials confirmed that Van Rijsselberghe will leave for California straight away to take up kiteboarding. (source: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/08/0 ... KB20120807)

Same as for Britains Nick Dempsey, who won silver in the mens RS:X fleet yesterday. After the race Dempsey – who hopes to continue Olympic sailing – said that he already has ordered a few kites. (source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 15701.html)

Expectations are high that more and more windsurfers will make a switch to kiteboarding now that the Olympic Games are over, and see how well they are doing against the established top kite racers. Only time will tell, but everybody is welcome on the race courses around the world to experience the excitement of kiteboard racing.
Here in Spain, Marina Alabau (Gold Women RSX) has also said she is not bad with a kite... :)

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Some new insight into what way the kite gear may be controlled for 2016.

http://www.boardseekermag.com/features/ ... story.html

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:40 pm

One thing I definitely agree with: it should NOT have been windsurfing OR Kitesurfing.

Both are popular sports and classes, and certainly more popular than the other classes still in the Olympics.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:40 pm

One thing I definitely agree with: it should NOT have been windsurfing OR Kitesurfing.

Both are popular sports and classes, and certainly more popular than the other classes still in the Olympics.

kitewindunite
Medium Poster

Postby kitewindunite » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:49 am

The comment about the gear starting out 'box rule' but then becoming 'one design' just before the Olympics is interesting... I don't know that many brands will be very happy to have invested into top R&D for 3 years to see their top riders on someone else's gear at the Olympics...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:14 am

kitewindunite wrote:The comment about the gear starting out 'box rule' but then becoming 'one design' just before the Olympics is interesting... I don't know that many brands will be very happy to have invested into top R&D for 3 years to see their top riders on someone else's gear at the Olympics...
My guess is that by November this year they will have to come to a decision on the final format and rules for the Olympics - and also in November the decision will be made finally as to whether kiting or windsurfing is in for 2016.

Steph seems to be expecting the gear to be very similar to todays and that riders will be registering a board, 2 sets of fins and 3 kites - much as they do now.

Lee seems to think there will be more development and the gear will have improved a lot for light wind. He thinks some particular equipment may be chosen before the Olympics (presumably the one which is considered the best) and every competitor will be supplied with the same equipment. That's similar to the windsurf RS:X system except its the same RS:X every Olympics.

Both are new ideas for sailing and both have pros and cons but in cycling for instance, all the competitors can bring their own bikes.

With what Steph is suggesting - that looks good for the current manufacturers to be involved and to keep the current kiters sponsorship going.
It does seem to have the potential for a country's kitesurf team to have their own (superior and very expensive) production run of equipment. That would suit any team that switched from windsurfing to kiting (and had the budget) - especially if the kiting is in the Bay and not at Barra Beach.

Return to “Kitesurfing”