Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which the best spot in Australia in August?

Forum for kitesurfers
madcowboy
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which the best spot in Australia in August?

Postby madcowboy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Which is the best spot in Australia in August??
Every day trade winds, flat water..waves
Cheers

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Re: Which the best spot in Australia in August?

Postby Caesar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:38 pm

madcowboy wrote:Which is the best spot in Australia in August??
Every day trade winds, flat water..waves
Cheers
There is no best spot. All spots are different. The one you like might not be the one someone else likes.
A few suggestions are Port Douglas (but no waves), Yokeys Knob (but no waves) or even better
http://www.australiankitesurfari.com.au/

Cheers
Caesar 8)

kitesurfingcollectiv
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, South Africa.
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: http://www.thekitesurfingcollective.com

Postby kitesurfingcollectiv » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Western Australia is pretty good at that time of year..

Although, instead of getting odd bits of advice from people who don't know Australia that well on this forum, check out the Australian forum:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au

They'll be able to help you out no problems.

Jess
http://www.thekitesurfingcollective.com

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:56 pm

kitesurfingcollectiv wrote:Western Australia is pretty good at that time of year..

Although, instead of getting odd bits of advice from people who don't know Australia that well on this forum, check out the Australian forum:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au

They'll be able to help you out no problems.

Jess
http://www.thekitesurfingcollective.com
WA good in August? Mmmhhh
The season just starts there in August/September.

Seabreeze? Get ready for some insults. Most of the locals don't want to have gringos on their beaches.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Tightlines
Medium Poster

Postby Tightlines » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Western Australia is definitely not the best spot in Australia in August, no seabreeze at all and only the occasional gusty frontal windy day.

There is pretty much no where in Australia were you will get reliable wind and waves in August.

As Caesar suggested North Queensland, Yorkies, Port Douglas etc is the best bet for wind but dont expect any real waves.

I live in Western Australia and July and August are the months when I try to get away to somewhere to find some wind, I fly out on Sunday to somewhere warmer and hopefully windier and it aint in Oz I'll give you the tip. :D :wink:

P.S. Something to think about, we have had five fatal shark attacks in ten months in West Oz and countless encounters, so it's not the place to be learning/body dragging.

madcowboy
Frequent Poster

Postby madcowboy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks guys,
for the quick response, obrigado Cesar pela resposta.
I know that August is not the best season in Australia but as it is in Srilanka,in Bali & Indonesia, I was just wondering to extend an ipotetic trip in Australia as even in Cocos Islands right now is amazing, (isn't it?) and there is a direct flight from Perth...
Unfortunately I know that down there in the past months sharks became a big issue...brrrr...and as I'm "Mediterrinean"..I don't want even think about it... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:49 am

Another West ozzy and tight lines is spot on. Forget august sorry. And he wasn't just trying to put you off being another part of the crowd in the crowded waters we have now, the sharks attacks are becoming statistically significant. Have you shit together if you come here. I've stopped surfing for a while, just to spooked out now. And I avoid body dragging at all costs if I can at th moment. The whales are beginning there southerly migration again, and the sharks follow.

Also I will confirm our local forum can become a little unfriendly at times, not sure why, just is. Hence why I spend most of my time here. Must be the inbreeding or something. Lol.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:00 pm

FNQ (Far north Queensand) in winter (ie june july august) is fun on/off wind (eg 5 on 4 off) but still enough wind.. (port douglas etc, as already said..) - nothing on WA in summer tho. Also September stinger suits (box jellyfish etc..) are starting to be brought out for those that will still kite in FNQ. The surfing is good tho anywhere south of great barrier reef and wa surf gets mental (v rare for decent surf in perth tho - normally absolutely sucks due to huge reef stopping swell), southern oceans kick up some mean swell in winter. Far NW aussie starts to get good wind that moves down the coast over the next couple of months, but last year mate did a 2 week trip there and got no wind at all - bring on el nino... Reunion Is. has been hit with a lot of surfer attacks recently too

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:38 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:...Also September stinger suits (box jellyfish etc..) are starting to be brought out for those that will still kite in FNQ.
November...
:wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”