Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lib Tech Waterboards

Postby chirojoseph » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:28 am

Oldnbroken wrote:
Johnny Rotten wrote:As for watching the whole video....I really can only get 5 minutes at a time....after that point my brain shuts off and the only thing I can think is "say no to drugs"........fine line between genius and insanity...this guys walking it pretty close. Got far enough to realize they got a batch of foam made to their specs...so looks super promising. I'd put this build on my short list....beside an Aviso.
The guy remembers names and dates and who did what and when, in the various niches they touched, what blank seconds cost them 30 years ago, chemical compounds, materials and construction methods, surfboard history, wakeboard history with names and dates. He was a big part in some really innovative snowboard product developments that nobody else thought of, long before this new project, he is conscious and concerned about working with non toxic materials, and making non toxic products. He is currently working seven days a week and has a wife and at least one child and your thought about him is "say no to drugs" ?? Wow.
TOTALLY AGREE, just because a guy has long blond hair and doesnt talk like a pimp or a news reporter SOME people like to make stupid jabs and insinuate that the person is a stoner/loser...like to see THAT poster do a little public speaking so we can all call HIM a glue sniffer....what a shmuck :roll:

kitenb
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitenb » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:38 am

I spent a few hours on the 5'4 Ramp. I bought the board for my light wind board, for those 13-18mph days that we get here in Florida. With this board and a 12m, it is plenty to get me going. It is really fast, and chop hops like a champ. It also feels really good in choppy conditions, and isn't too bouncy. It is very loose(skatey) when hiting the face on the wave. A lot of guys probably like that, but for me, it's just a little too skatey. So, I'm going to sell it, and look for something with a little more "grip." Maybe one of the other Lib Tech models... not sure yet. If anyone is interested, send me a PM... only used a few hours and absolutely nothing wrong with it. Perfect condition.
Attachments
photo.JPG

robg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB VA

Postby robg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:33 am

kitenb,

Before you give up on that board and sell it try using different fins. Bigger fins should make it less skatey and keep the other features you like the same. Fins can really change the way a board rides.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:23 pm

TOTALLY AGREE, just because a guy has long blond hair and doesnt talk like a pimp or a news reporter SOME people like to make stupid jabs and insinuate that the person is a stoner/loser...like to see THAT poster do a little public speaking so we can all call HIM a glue sniffer....what a shmuck :roll:
If you must know it was his inability to even remotely answer a question without getting into a long off topic flashback into the history of board building forgetting
a) his original point
b) the original question
is the reason why I found the interview difficult to watch.

For the record
a) I have long blonde hair
b) I do technical public speaking ALOT
c) Sniff glue ALL THE TIME (I build boards as a hobby)...... and it's through a respirator

I have stated multiple times in this post that I think the Libtech design (designed and mfg by Mike Olsen) is pretty freaking smart.

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster

Postby chirojoseph » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:
If you must know it was his inability to even remotely answer a question without getting into a long off topic flashback into the history of board building forgetting
a) his original point
b) the original question

For the record
c) Sniff glue ALL THE TIME (I build boards as a hobby)...... and it's through a respirator

I have stated multiple times in this post that I think the Libtech design (designed and mfg by Mike Olsen) is pretty freaking smart.
jajjajajaja...ok, ok...touche mr rotten.

For your homework now please post a video of yourself (unruly hair in plain sight) explaining the physics of how gravity can warp time...in the middle of a surf expo....while heavily inhaling your favorite brand of adhesive...

:jump: :jump: :bye: :lol:

wish somebody down here had the vert or bowl so I could truly TRY BEFORE I BUY

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Hey kitenb,
I have that same board. Bigger fins will make it less skatey for sure. I like it skatey but broke off one of the fins on a reef so had to use a pair of back ups that make it turn more fluidly. So far I've been able to use that board all year with no major repairs while all my buddies have been changing out other brands boards ever few months due to breakage.

I hope someone copies that technology to make SUP's, they would be sick.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:
a) his original point
b) the original question

For the record

He's got a lot going through his mind and is pretty intense. In an informal interview that doesn't always translate into precisely crafted responses. As a recent convert to a LibTech snowboard, I found it interesting to hear some of his back story.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey, i am interested in the 5'4 board, but how much does it weigh, please? With fins.

Thanks!

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Everyone I know who has had one of these has had one buckle (3/3). They are great for dings, amazing actually, but over time with lots of slamming down they will buckle.

1. Not for kiting, don't use it. Company will not warranty if your board buckles from kiting, even if its on day 1 in light stuff, unfortunately.
2. Boards DO TAKE ON WATER - this is a bullshit claim.
3. Repairing is actually fairly challenging as the cracks in the outer shell propagate easily, even after you've repaired a ding - if you stress that area you'll find new propagation cracks underneath. Super annoying.

It's a damn shame because the boards are pretty amazing shape wise, and the concept really stoked us out. I've had poly boards last longer for kiting. I wish Libtech would step up and make one for kiting. Until then you are kind of out on your own, by no means do not treat this board as being "indestructible" it is just as vulnerable as any other surfboard in the long term.

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster

Re: Lib Tech Waterboards BUCKLING after short use with kites

Postby chirojoseph » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Wow Consumer....

this really rains on my parade. Ive been following the info/development of these boards for about 6 months. HAd pretty much decided to pull the trigger and buy one with a full monty NSI deck pad...after so many good things id read about them..the only thing really holding me back was the fact they couldnt be ridden in QUAD mode and that i couldnt use my nice FUTURES fins....

But since I DO jump and DO ride chop wiith my surfboards this BUCKLING issue is a big one.

Can anyone else confirm this has happened when using the Waterboards to Kite??
Im sure they are fantastic in the DING arena..which would be great for me cause im always smacking into floating pieces of wood etc and having to make many small repairs...but if the boards truly are NOT meant to be LANDED upon then maybe we should wait for Libtec to come out with a KITESPECIFIC model as some have suggested.

Thanx anyone for confirmation of this phenomenon.

Return to “Kitesurfing”