Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Re: Learning Directional, straps or strapless

Postby leepasty » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Great to hear you are loving the strapless.
For some tips on tacking, gybing and much more check out my technique blog
http://www.leepasty.co.uk/technique-blog.html
cheers
lee

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby SSK » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:35 pm

Part of the problem may have been that wind was light and I was flying an old Xbow 16m
Yes, I would imagine that would make it pretty challenging to learn on. That is definitely not a user friendly ocean kite. If you would drop it in the surf, I would imagine it would be real scary hoping you could get it to relaunch. In the ocean you need a kite that pivots, relaunches easily, and drifts. About the opposite of the large Xbow. Not saying you cannot do it, but that is some added challenge. I would also recommend you learn on your TT first. Learning to ride in the ocean is much more about learning to fly your kite in the ocean and learning to navigate the waves such as timing getting out and getting over breaking waves. It is a lot easier to learn on a twin tip especially the fact that you can "run away" from a breaking wave on your way out. Once you feel comfortable controlling the kite in the ocean, then hop on your directional. I do not see any learning advantage of going from a strapped surfboard to a strapless surfboard. But it is easy to go from a TT to a strapless once comfortable on the TT. Not saying you cannot learn by going directly to a directional, but I would think the learning curve would be much steeper going from TT to directional.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Yea, I didn't mention it because I was trying to talk about my directional learning curve. I am much more comfortable on a TT, so after I thrashed my self on the surfboard, I took a break and then jumped on my buddies Spleene. It was much easier to make quick sliding turns to stay in between the waves and pick and choose my points to ride outbound. Besides that, when I fell or dropped back in the water waiting on the kite to come around, the staps kept the board at my feet.

I also learned that when you fall in waves, forget the board and keep the kite out of the water at all costs. I had some real messes a couple of times when the wave caught the back side of the kite. Body dagging after the board in the waves was a whole new adventure as well.

Either way, learning to surf the waves like the cool guys is the goal, so I will keep at it even though I don't get to the coast that often. My thought about the staps was just to help keep better control of the board while negotiating the waves outbound. Probably just a crutch I shouldnt get used to. As always, thanks for all the tips. :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Nope, not just a crutch :wink:

You will have more options and more freedom with straps :thumb:

Bullshit that others try to convince you of the opposite - and you can see what a mess you are into now, because of that :o

I ride both strapped and strapless, as well as many of my friends - but to say that one is better or more "right" than the other, is pure bullshit IMO - makes absolutely no sense at all :(

:D Peter

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Been thanked: 0

Postby tony montana » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:Yea, I didn't mention it because I was trying to talk about my directional learning curve. I am much more comfortable on a TT, so after I thrashed my self on the surfboard, I took a break and then jumped on my buddies Spleene. It was much easier to make quick sliding turns to stay in between the waves and pick and choose my points to ride outbound. Besides that, when I fell or dropped back in the water waiting on the kite to come around, the staps kept the board at my feet.

I also learned that when you fall in waves, forget the board and keep the kite out of the water at all costs. I had some real messes a couple of times when the wave caught the back side of the kite. Body dagging after the board in the waves was a whole new adventure as well.

Either way, learning to surf the waves like the cool guys is the goal, so I will keep at it even though I don't get to the coast that often. My thought about the staps was just to help keep better control of the board while negotiating the waves outbound. Probably just a crutch I shouldnt get used to. As always, thanks for all the tips. :thumb:
TIP use a balance board on no wind days,you can also learn how to gibe on balance board,it will give you muscle memory,and help your strapless kitesurfing,TONY

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:01 am

Tony: I have never used a balance board before. Since my jibes are not progressing much, I will take your advice and give it a try. Sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

Peter: I was waiting to hear your opinion on this since you seem to be on top of all things waves. It is good to know that I am not just being lazy considering straps. I really have enjoyed riding strapless, but it has been in very easy conditions. Keeping the board under control in 5 to 6ft waves was much more difficult than I expected. I think that as I gain experience, I will have a decision point as to what point I would like to have straps.

Some of my personal drama may have just been that this was a straight parrallel to shore wind day, so I was taking on the waves at a fairly direct angle. Some of the easier days I have seen had side on shore that made it much easier to pick and choose where I went outbound.

Either way, I will stick with it. The ride inbound was great. With my limited surfing experience, the ability to pull myself right into the sweet spot in a wave is worth any amount of bashing.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 pm

KY,

The secret sauce to the feet switch is to have the kite heading up to 10.30 or 1.30 and switch your feet on the upstroke as the kite will carry all your weight.

Plus don't hesitate with the feet switch, just do it and you'll be surprised how easy it is.

Mike

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Good to hear on your progress. Keep in mind that onshore lightwind will be the most challenging, especially if you are in overhead surf. So, the fact that you were able make it out a couple times and drop in on some bombs tells me you have progressed farther than you think. Here are some additional links to add to Lee's link.......

http://www.losethestraps.com/

http://www.benwilsonsurf.com/kiteschool ... 4&Itemid=5

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:30 pm

In regards to strap or strapless debate, do what gives you the most pleasure. In my humble opinion, I think the strapless learning curve is flatter at the beginning, but in the long run you will progress further. From one of the more seasoned strapless riders.......

Though i loved learning all the freestyle tricks like kiteloops and handle passes, I have always relied on my surfboard for the ultimate stoke. I have borrow, broken, and made somewhere with 20 different surfboards in the last few years, and i have to admit i will always go back to where it started…ridding strapless on 5’6 round nose fish.

Straps just didnt work for me. I can see the argument that it does limit your riding. You can’t jump over waves, you can’t do huge airs, you can only ride so fast….or can you?

I hope to encourage everyone to look past what you think is possible. You can always go higher, go faster, and have more fun.

-Jon Modica

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
You will have more options and more freedom with straps :thumb: :(
:D Peter
Peter is correct...if straps are the correct width for stance and foot freedom in them..you have it all

More is better than "less".........strap "less' has "less" options :wink:

I do not use straps the same way i used to when i rode TT's...you need a different approach set-up

Sure #1 is additional traction to stay over the board.......
...........but to me i like the"leverage" i get with them for tight on a dime jibes..to toeside or heelside

You can easily by curling your toes of the front foot in properly fitted strap..........
....pull the nose of the board up and around....and that is really really a great option :thumb:

...................................... :surf: :sun: ......................................................................................

Return to “Kitesurfing”