Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

443 Euros / 550 USD / 349 GBP for a bar? Have they gone mad?

Forum for kitesurfers
dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 443 Euros / 550 USD / 349 GBP for a bar? Have they gone

Postby dandaka » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:58 am

1. Does everybody pay full retail price for their gear?

You can always find good deals with 20-30% on latest year and 50% on last year. Just spend your time to look around.

2. Who cares about "sport is dying" and "less people will start KB"?

I like it! Less people > more space on my favorite spots. But I don't see sweet spots getting empty, only more and more people are arriving.

3. If you own North brand, and your costs will be 100$/bar, what retail price you think will be commercially viable? 200$?

Chain looks like this:
Factory > North margin > Export > Import > Distributor > Retailer

If you give 50% margin for North, Distributor, Retailer and customs duties, you'll see 506% of factory price.

I think retail price is 300-400% from factory cost and its normal. Where have you seen other business models?

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mark van haze » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 pm

2. Who cares about "sport is dying" and "less people will start KB"?

I like it! Less people > more space on my favorite spots. But I don't see sweet spots getting empty, only more and more people are arriving.
Thats a very short sighted view on the future of this sport and therefore the future of any equipment development.

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012
Been thanked: 0

Postby dandaka » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:24 pm

KB is a niche sport and will be like this for a long time.

I don't want for it same "developed" destiny as surfing — all good spots are overcrowded, people are angry, fighting for space.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:55 pm

dandaka wrote:KB is a niche sport and will be like this for a long time.

I don't want for it same "developed" destiny as surfing — all good spots are overcrowded, people are angry, fighting for space.

Already happening in this sport to, especially from the windsurfers. Got told to f off, ya nice person, open ya eyes ya bloody fn nice person today, from some aging poley. He reckons I dropped in, but honestly I really struggle to predict their speed and angle, one minute they are dogging it, looking like they have a carrot up their ass, then next thing band they are on, the drop in was a 50/50 proposition really as I was already on the wave way before....but technically he may have had a point.

But he needn't be so Agro, lucky he was an aging dinosaur on an aging craft, or it would have been on like donkey kong.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Westozzy wrote:
dandaka wrote:KB is a niche sport and will be like this for a long time.

Already happening in this sport to, especially from the windsurfers. Got told to f off, ya nice person, open ya eyes ya bloody fn nice person today, from some aging poley. He reckons I dropped in, but honestly I really struggle to predict their speed and angle, one minute they are dogging it, looking like they have a carrot up their ass, then next thing band they are on, the drop in was a 50/50 proposition really as I was already on the wave way before....but technically he may have had a point.

But he needn't be so Agro, lucky he was an aging dinosaur on an aging craft, or it would have been on like donkey kong.
Why is it that windsurfers always look like they're doing penance out there?

Was out yesterday; me the only kiter and about 5 wind surfers on a massive beach. None of them smiling except for one guy who I think is a loon.

Oh and - falling over - they're hard to spot in the surf down there... at least though they're better at 'giving way' when they should.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Kamikuza wrote: Why is it that windsurfers always look like they're doing penance out there?

Was out yesterday; me the only kiter and about 5 wind surfers on a massive beach. None of them smiling except for one guy who I think is a loon.

Oh and - falling over - they're hard to spot in the surf down there... at least though they're better at 'giving way' when they should.
I think you are interpreting. I think they have as much fun as we do. I would love to learn windsurfing. A good windsurfer looks great on the wave. No doubt.

There is no need to make believe we are two separate groups...we are riding the same waves, in the same water, using the same form of power. The tool is a little different, but that is all. :D

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:17 am

:x
Interpret that face - that's what windsurfers look like :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:25 am

There is no need to make believe we are two separate groups...we are riding the same waves, in the same water, using the same form of power. The tool is a little different, but that is all. :D[/quote]

I agree and disagree as the mechanisms and riding styles are so different. I am in the process of really educating myself about judging their speed and angle, talking to X windsurfers, because it has got me beat at the moment and I really don't take abuse like that very well. 10 years ago I'd have done something I'd regret, age and wisdom has at least helped me to see the big picture. But it did spoil an awesome session, although I was in my second hour, so at least most of it was awesome.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:36 am

Westozzy wrote: I agree and disagree as the mechanisms and riding styles are so different. I am in the process of really educating myself about judging their speed and angle, talking to X windsurfers, because it has got me beat at the moment and I really don't take abuse like that very well. 10 years ago I'd have done something I'd regret, age and wisdom has at least helped me to see the big picture. But it did spoil an awesome session, although I was in my second hour, so at least most of it was awesome.
yes let me rephrase...we should be able to coexist, and so taking the time to understand how they ride, and give them the needed space and respect is essential. This obviously should go both ways. At my spot we can generally keep it clean...there is always one or two guys that doesn't seem to get it, but most of the guys are completely on the same page. Windsurfers and kiteboarders alike. :thumb:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 am

tautologies wrote:
Westozzy wrote: I agree and disagree as the mechanisms and riding styles are so different. I am in the process of really educating myself about judging their speed and angle, talking to X windsurfers, because it has got me beat at the moment and I really don't take abuse like that very well. 10 years ago I'd have done something I'd regret, age and wisdom has at least helped me to see the big picture. But it did spoil an awesome session, although I was in my second hour, so at least most of it was awesome.
yes let me rephrase...we should be able to coexist, and so taking the time to understand how they ride, and give them the needed space and respect is essential. This obviously should go both ways. At my spot we can generally keep it clean...there is always one or two guys that doesn't seem to get it, but most of the guys are completely on the same page. Windsurfers and kiteboarders alike. :thumb:

Agreed that is the ideal. Just wondering if the understanding how each ride is reciprocated.... thats all.

Return to “Kitesurfing”