Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do you keep track of your sessions?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Do you keep track of your sessions?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Ned Divine wrote:I don't like the idea of keeping statistics of my kiting sessions. To me, kiting is all about relaxing, escaping from computers, enjoying nature, forgetting numbers, time and dates. I respect fully that some people enjoy kiting stats, but it is not my cup of tea. 8)
I totally understand and respect that view Ned :thumb:

On the other hand - for me, deduction, analyzing, calculating, reflecting, is a natural thing and makes me have a good time and relaxing TOTALLY !

Especially when you dont "have to do it" but just choose to do it, in contrast to work :wink:

So I think it is very individual 8)

:D Peter

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fdvj » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:46 pm

I am doing it this year to gague weather my quiver is at the right spacings, and also as a bargaining tool with my other half for when she claims that she has less leisure time than me.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:48 pm

fdvj wrote:I am doing it this year to gague weather my quiver is at the right spacings, and also as a bargaining tool with my other half for when she claims that she has less leisure time than me.
You mean, you divide the hours with ten, before she reads it ? (and hopefully she is not "online" here...)

:rollgrin: Peter

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Ned Divine wrote:I don't like the idea of keeping statistics of my kiting sessions. To me, kiting is all about relaxing, escaping from computers, enjoying nature, forgetting numbers, time and dates. I respect fully that some people enjoy kiting stats, but it is not my cup of tea. 8)
I totally understand and respect that view Ned :thumb:

On the other hand - for me, deduction, analyzing, calculating, reflecting, is a natural thing and makes me have a good time and relaxing TOTALLY !

Especially when you dont "have to do it" but just choose to do it, in contrast to work :wink:

Yeh I'm with Ned, used to be specific about learning a certain move, would get footage taken, perfect etc, but it takes away the fun and flow. Would be interesting to see your water time per kite and then cross reference that against depreciation to work out what it costs per kite. Now that could be a good number to throw the boss, if not just keep it yourself. :cool2:

Metaphor_
Medium Poster

Postby Metaphor_ » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:02 am

I definitely keep a log of kiteboard activities. I find it's helped me in other sports for development purposes to help one to:
  • identify that day's areas of focus and reinforce lesson feedback
    reflect on successes week over week
    see patterns that emerge over time
My kiteboard log is here for anyone interested: http://hawks-eye.livejournal.com/

eytan
Medium Poster

Postby eytan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:33 pm

garmin connect the easy way to track your sssions.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:58 am

True - but you dont wanna wear a gps all the time :-?

Here I am with Ned and others - you kite because it is fun and you feel free and can put everything else aside.

Besides - the track only is not that interesting for daily use (but for other uses it is the most essential of course) compared to conditions and kite sizes and boards used IMO.

Thats why I just note down in a small book AFTER the sessions, or a day after or whenever - as it only takes 10 to 20 seconds to write "the day" down 8)

Then one can analyze a couple of times per year maybe, if you feel like doing this, as it can be both fun and interesting and useful too, or just let it be.

I am not sure I understand how one can see if the kite spacings are good, this way ?

As my experience is always, that even if you have only 2m2 spacing, you often (not always) would like the size in between :naughty:
But okay, if you also write you would have liked having a "size xx today" - then you can, true (and a good idea, yes)

Also, small kites like 4m2 is maybe typically not used that often no - but WHEN they are used, it could be the most epic and exciting wavesessions ever - so here a log is of no use at all :wink:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Yes, in a blog - helps me to remember things I've learned, to go over them again after the fact. Doesn't track the hours so well though, but is easy to get a count of the gear used.

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)

Postby polarstorm » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Yes!

Hello everyone, saw this thread, and felt I might have something to add here (this is probably my first post), I've been tracking my sessions over two seasons now and have improved my shortform, I dont do a full write up only one liners about whats interesting or special about the sesh, problems encountered, who I went with, and notes learned about the spot.

This is an improvement over last year where I improved the short form, as you can see from the screen. It's parsable (very important) into a spreadsheet so I can get more exotic data from it if I need to (total gas expense for the year, for example).

It takes my less than a minute to jot down the details and I usually have a blurb in there about what went great, what went bad, and anything special about the session.

As you can see from my shortform I've adopted a session # - spot code - date - kite sides used and for how long in hours - travel time - and DP (dawn patrol) or SS (sunset sesh) if more than one session in a day.

I also use colour coding so that I can pick out epic sessions (gold) from the good ones (blue), and also those which I consider skunkers (gray).

Year over year I'm not having more sessions but I'm getting better quality and more water time per session.. also easy to track who I went with, and what date of course.

Interested to see if someone has a good system going. Check the screenshot of my phone below.

Hope people find this useful and helps someone keen on doing the same..
Attachments
sessions_screenshot_small.jpg
sessions_screenshot_small.jpg (127.65 KiB) Viewed 737 times

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: On the other hand - for me, deduction, analyzing, calculating, reflecting, is a natural thing and makes me have a good time and relaxing TOTALLY !

Absolutely! Individual is THE word! :thumb:
PS "Enjoying" vs "Having" to do, does make a world of difference indeed! Take marital sex for example! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”