Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do you keep track of your sessions?

Forum for kitesurfers
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Do you keep track of your sessions?

Postby OzBungy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:48 pm

I have been logging my sessions in an Excel spreadsheet since 2003. I fly paragliders and we are required to keep a log so it's no effort to add kiteboarding sessions in to the same spreadsheet.

I keep almost exactly the same data as Peter, plus a brief text description.

There is no real, tangible benefit from doing it. The knowledge derived is also embedded in my personal experience so analysing the data is not going to make it easier to choose kites or locations or anything. I already know how to do all that.

There is more benefit in being able to look back and remember all those sessions in a fair amount of detail.

The other thing is you realise that most people are deluded about how much they do or don't kite. People moan about the bad weather and how little kiting they get. My log shows I got more kiting done this year than in previous "good" years. People claim their kites last forever and they kite hard and often and claim mega life spans for gear. My log shows that kiting frequently and obsessively that getting 200 hours a year is a optimistic.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Postby dyyylan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:26 am

Good tips guys, thanks for advice.

Taut, I totally agree that the usefulness comes in the statistics. Personally I don't care that I rode on the 23rd of August for 4 hours, but it's nice to be able to see that I rode 22 times this month for 102 hours total, and that I used my 12m kite for 96% of sessions. Plus I'm a programmer so it is fun to design the app ;)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:32 am

Analysing statistics is fun, but it's not really useful.

I just looked at my stats and my 7m kite has gone from being my least used kite to most used kite, by a long way. My 13 is now my least used kite.

The reason is that I have being riding my directional almost exclusively, and recently bought a Sector. The directional accounts for the 7 being used a lot and the Sector counts for the 13 being used less often. The other factor is that we are getting a lot of storm related northerlies during our traditional off season, and we had very few sea breezes in our summer season.

So I have stats to tell me that. But I knew it anyway. I was there riding.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:15 am

http://www.sessionlogs.com is worldwide but kiwi designed - pretty cool...

kas911
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby kas911 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:44 pm

NO! Because knowing how much kiting costs me pr hour would simply make me quit, or at least want to quit!!!

:wink:

puchanix
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby puchanix » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:24 pm

I use www.strava.com. Used to do it with my iPhone in a waterproof case but now prefer to track with my Garmin 610 watch. Then add any relevant info in the title or comments section.

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any

Postby lieutenantglorp » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:34 pm

dyyylan wrote:
Does anyone else do this, and do you use any tools on the web for it?
www.trakdat.com :D

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:45 pm

dyyylan wrote:Good tips guys, thanks for advice.

Taut, I totally agree that the usefulness comes in the statistics. Personally I don't care that I rode on the 23rd of August for 4 hours, but it's nice to be able to see that I rode 22 times this month for 102 hours total, and that I used my 12m kite for 96% of sessions. Plus I'm a programmer so it is fun to design the app ;)
Wait a minute..........you are joking :lol: ............right!
How can you kite more than me... :o

This month so far...19M..9 sessions / 12M..4 sessions / 6M ...2 sessions with tropical storm Isaac

15 times in 28 days...and this is august in Florida..+ i work 5 to 6 days a week

Not retired. and not a millionaire....just live and work close to my beach...( zero TT sessions)

......................... :surf: :sun: ....................................................................................................

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:47 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
dyyylan wrote:Good tips guys, thanks for advice.

Wait a minute..........you are joking :lol: ............right!
How can you kite more than me... :o

This month so far...19M..9 sessions / 12M..4 sessions / 6M ...2 sessions with tropical storm Isaac

15 times in 28 days...and this is august in Florida..+ i work 5 to 6 days a week

Not retired. and not a millionaire....just live and work close to my beach...( zero TT sessions)

......................... :surf: :sun: ....................................................................................................
I made those numbers up but it's probably pretty close. I come in early to work every day so I can leave by 2pm and kite the rest of the day if it's over 12 knots, which it has been most days this summer for some reason.

And yes Isaac gave us epic wind, I've kited the last 5 days straight. 30+ and 12-14 ft waves at my house on Monday, it was a blast :)

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:12 pm

I don't like the idea of keeping statistics of my kiting sessions. To me, kiting is all about relaxing, escaping from computers, enjoying nature, forgetting numbers, time and dates. I respect fully that some people enjoy kiting stats, but it is not my cup of tea. 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”