Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno
Brand Affiliation: None

Which knots to use for q-power lines

Postby Oldpeople » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:23 pm

I would like to make a set of lines using q-power line. I see that for making loops you use a figure 8 knot. But I haven't been able to find what knot to use for making the knot end of the line. Or do people just use loops at all ends of the lines and then a set of pigtail adapters to change loop ends to either another loop or to a knot. Any advice appreciated on this or anything about making your own line sets.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Which knots to use for q-power lines

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Any larger knot will do, including the figure eight loop knot base, if the line lengths work out. It is important to thoroughly prestretch Q Line as it will lengthen in normal service.
Last edited by RickI on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Style: unhooked and hooked boots only
Gear: slingshot, north, liquid force, cmb, pansh

Postby edt » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:40 pm

you should use loops and then for a knot attach a pigtail. You lose more strength with either an overhand or a figure 8 knot on the end. I would suggest never making an end-knot in q-powerline always a figure 8 loop. The problem with a knot on the end is that the bend is sharper than a figure 8 loop, just look at it. And it's the tightness of the bend which is a problem for dyneema. Remember the purpose of the sleeve on the q-powerline is not just for abrasion resistance. You need that extra space the sleeve provides so that when you do knot it the dyneema core inside doesn't have as tight of a curve in it.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Q power is great, but I would put loops on all ends and larks head those to regular pigtail line. I have tried it with the knot in the end of the Q power and have had the larks heads pop off mid session..... not fun. Not really sure how it happened, but the knots are really small and the line is really waxy. You could just end all 4 lines with loops and larks head directly to pigtails on the kite that end in knots, but you lose the kook proof aspect and they can be difficult to undo after a long session of tightening. In fact when finishing Q power in loops to larks head onto a knot I highly suggest you finish them with a pull tab like this to make them easier to undo with cold fingers. Positioning the knot for that last little pull tab is also a really easy way to get your line lengths exactly equal.

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno

Postby Oldpeople » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:25 pm

So starsky and all. So any problem on using your pull tab knot at the end of the line as the knot for the kite connection that ends with a loop at the kite end. I like the pull tab for the line from the kite ending with a knot, and wouldn't it function as a knot as well? It looks like a simple overhand knot.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Style: unhooked and hooked boots only
Gear: slingshot, north, liquid force, cmb, pansh

Postby edt » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:30 pm

overhand knot on a loop seems good to me. I didn't think about it because i always use pigtails but it should work. because of the double lines your line doesn't curve as much that will help the strength of the line and you also get a bigger knot which helps because q-powerline is slippery. Go for it.

alford
Medium Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:43 pm

Starsky wrote:Q power is great, but I would put loops on all ends and larks head those to regular pigtail line. I have tried it with the knot in the end of the Q power and have had the larks heads pop off mid session..... not fun. Not really sure how it happened, but the knots are really small and the line is really waxy. You could just end all 4 lines with loops and larks head directly to pigtails on the kite that end in knots, but you lose the kook proof aspect and they can be difficult to undo after a long session of tightening. In fact when finishing Q power in loops to larks head onto a knot I highly suggest you finish them with a pull tab like this to make them easier to undo with cold fingers. Positioning the knot for that last little pull tab is also a really easy way to get your line lengths exactly equal.

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

Okay the loop is tied with a figure-eight knot. What knot is used to secure the remaining tag?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:21 pm

You can try it. I don't like using Q power for the knot end of the equation. It's greasy waxy line, the knots are tiny and especially when larks headed with more q power can slide a bit. I had a Q power loop/knot blow on me once, and have since only larks headed Q power to a thicker dyneema line. Thats just me.

Those are only overhand knots in the pics. You would wanna do them as fig 8's for a front line. That happens to be an unloaded 5th.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:08 pm

If you purchased a line-set from (A wind of change) , and they were Q-power ; i
probably made them.

Figure-8 is the Only knot i would ever consider