Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Check your slingshot comp stick ?

Forum for kitesurfers
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Check your slingshot comp stick ?

Postby BWD » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:26 pm

The agenda is safety and fun, and supporting a brand by pointing out where it needs to improve.
The evidence is clear.
CL issues.png
Simple solutions:
1. Soft ends of loop - amsteel works pretty well.
2. Ends made of plates with holes cut in them instead of welded wires.
3. Just 0.3mm thicker wire, even (sorry, might need a new casting for that).
4. Or at least get them to put the weld away from where the part bends!!!

I may be called a hater for posting this, I should get thanks instead.
Really it's my favorite brand, I just want it to be better.

noody
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby noody » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:26 am

I just replaced a chicken rope on a pals compstick, the rope had shredded just above the butter-box. This section is rope-within-rope but the bit of rope inside doesn't do anything other than make the chicken rope thicker and perhaps give you a false sense of security as the outer wears. All seems a bit odd to me, any explanation from you guys ?

Look on the right of the photo you'll see the short-length that was inside the other piece.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:47 am

The thicker bit is to stop you from setting the stopper so low that it prevents the needed travel for the QR

noody
Medium Poster

Postby noody » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Any idea why there would be such a lot of wear just above the butter-box ?

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 pm

BWD wrote:The agenda is safety and fun, and supporting a brand by pointing out where it needs to improve.
The evidence is clear.
CL issues.png
Simple solutions:
1. Soft ends of loop - amsteel works pretty well.
2. Ends made of plates with holes cut in them instead of welded wires.
3. Just 0.3mm thicker wire, even (sorry, might need a new casting for that).
4. Or at least get them to put the weld away from where the part bends!!!

I may be called a hater for posting this, I should get thanks instead.
Really it's my favorite brand, I just want it to be better.
THANKS ! My feelings exactly. I just want them to improve the damn thing not deny there's a problem. If you tried really hard to design something to bend metal, just copy this design. It's perfect.... :naughty:

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:03 pm

GraemeF wrote:I've just left a similar message on another thread about contacting the people that might help you or at the very least put your mind at rest, which is either Slingshot themselves if you're from the states or ourselves here in the UK at Surf Sales.

Threads like this are always treated with scepticism when there is no actual volume of a given problem, there was an issue with the cable covering length in 2010, dealers are aware of it, the C/L will be exchanged without query (UK decision) if it shows the slightest sign of distress, and it is something that should be checked every ride as should firing off the safety at part of the pre flight.

Seriously if it was an issue they would have been recalled as we have done with other issues in the past, we're riders ourselves, it's never our intention to put others at risk for the sake of a few cents extra profit.

Re airing old issues for whatever Agenda you may be on is counterproductive to the usefulness of a rider forum which already suffers from Industry tools doing whatever they can to deride other brands in the assumption there own might benefit. Ultimately we all become the loser as the credibility of everyone comes into question Slingshot is a rider brand with a long history of standing behind it's products, if there is a problem contact them, or one of their dealers or agents, you will generally find them helpful.

Thankyou.
Great ! I didn't know this was an old problem when I posted, as after contacting S2as,UK (who I believe you have a very close relationship with), replied, ' we have never heard of, or seen this fault' . After checking, I found it is happening on my second, very little used bar. Mmmmm I thought, and posted the question, not realising it was an old problem, as you have stated. Strange then, if I am airing an old problem, that your dealers claimed they have never heard of it....I am certainly not benefiting from posting this, and don't think we are all losing anything either. If you are worried about your credibility, doing something about the problem would be a start. That would benefit everyone. I have used Slingshot for donkey's years, fantastic kit, well except for the Link, eh, so I have no ulterior motive, but this denial of a problem is worrying. Yes I can replace the loop, but what's to stop it from re-occuring, since it seems the designs at fault ?

Baz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fingal Beach.
Birubi Beach.
One Mile Beach.
Favorite Beaches: Fingal Beach.
Birubi Beach.
One Mile Beach.
Style: Surf, freeride.
Gear: Slingshot Kites
Underground Styx
Jimmy Lewis Kwad

Postby Baz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Check the bar on my 12M Rally and the C/L had snapped, the C/L on my 8M Rally is badly bent. Subsequently replaced both, so thanks to those on this thread for the heads up. :wink:

noody
Medium Poster

Postby noody » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:08 am

I'm also not bitching about Slingshot kit, I don't fly slingshot but appreciate the efforts they made. Whatever moves forward any manufacturer makes it's likely that issues may emerge that can only come to light after proper use rather than an R&D period. R&D periods are always going to be first resort,

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:33 pm

I have been using the comp stick bar for two seasons and have had an experience with every example on this thread. Only once have any of them resulted in a equipment malfunction while riding. My center line snapped while riding in the Pudget Sound because I ignored the obvious signs of wear.

I ride hard and in all conditions, from snow to salt, waves to flat, 14 m to 4.5 and I trust my properly maintained comp stick bar with my life.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster

Postby letsgoflyakite » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:55 pm

noody wrote:I'm also not bitching about Slingshot kit, I don't fly slingshot but appreciate the efforts they made. Whatever moves forward any manufacturer makes it's likely that issues may emerge that can only come to light after proper use rather than an R&D period. R&D periods are always going to be first resort,
Looks like we are the guinea pigs then, so to speak, and pay for the privilege of testing their kit. The new compstick is in it's 3rd year/generation, the retail on a new bar is £460.00 ( Eeek ! ) and they are still utilising the same flawed ? design. My second, little used bar is showing signs of bending. It shows just how much R@D is actually done, and how much notice they take when a problem arises. The old bars were awesome strong, and I loved em, so I'm not a Slingshot hater.

Return to “Kitesurfing”