Anyway, have fun with that AWESOME kite! :thumb:

Cullen
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer speed 3 12m vs 15m

Postby Cullen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:05 pm

I saw that Flysurfer usa still sells the gold deluxe. I bet they just still haven't sold all their stock. Does anyone know or have any ideas when the speed 4 is going to come out? Would it be worth waiting for?
Thanks!!
-Cullen

Drachenschmied
Medium Poster

Postby Drachenschmied » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:24 pm

not before at least next summer (like European summer^^).
At first there'll be a new Psycho (V), then next one the Speed.

At least if they're not mixing up their cycle :)

Looking forward to the psycho anyway - think its gonna be some nice kite :D

Cullen
Rare Poster

Postby Cullen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Would soon be a good time to buy a Speed because they just came out with the new bar?
Thanks!!
-Cullen

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Now is a great time. New bar, CE. All good. Could be quite a while until something new comes out because FS has stated they will not release a new model unless it is a significant improvement over previous models. That is why their kites are not updated annually, like most other brands.

And if later next year a new model comes out, you can always sell for what will surely be a good price, and upgrade.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:36 am

I have the 21, 15, and 12 in the new Speed 3.5 Deluxe CE. I love everything about the new bar except the weight. I kept a old Infinity 1.0 Carbon Bar for Travel. I will only use it when for traveling however as the new design is so much more bomber. On steady wind days, the stopper is really nice.

Can't go wrong with the 12m, it is an awesome kite. I figure it has about the same pulling power as a 15m LEI, but it is so fast to setup and pack down. Best part are the jumps when you are really lit up.

You mentioned that you will also be using it on snow. You will love it on the snow as well. It is very responsive and will get you going even in a light breeze. I use my 21 most of the time on the snow because it allows me to mine powder in lee areas of the hill and it is amazing for gliding. However, if I only weighed 100 LBS, the 12 would be all I need on the lightest of days.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:40 am

The Captain wrote:Now is a great time. New bar, CE. All good. Could be quite a while until something new comes out because FS has stated they will not release a new model unless it is a significant improvement over previous models. That is why their kites are not updated annually, like most other brands.

And if later next year a new model comes out, you can always sell for what will surely be a good price, and upgrade.
I agree. LEI marketing departments would have already marketed this years Speed as Speed6 2013.

My reasoning behind above is: Original Speed3 "coloring scheme", then Speed4 "green edition", then Speed5 "purple edition" and now Speed6 "colored edition" with new bar.

Original coloring scheme kite and CE kite as a kite works as well. I am glad of it so my kites still have value. How much value would you give for Bandit3 in second hand market? It is now 3 generations old as news/videos of Bandit6 are appearing.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:06 am

Cullen wrote:Hi,
I am thinking of getting a speed 3, and just wanted to know peoples opinions on what size would be good. My other kites are a 5m and a 9m so it would be a light wind kite, but I would like to be able to use it in higher winds too. I weigh 100 lbs (still growing) and would be using it on snow as well as water. Most of the time I would be on large inland lakes. It seems like it has a very large wind range so it would be nice if it could be my go-to kite in most conditions.
Thanks!!
-Cullen

What are your other kites?

The Flysurfer Speed is a great kite., but very different from other kites.

It has great hang time, low end and quite good wind range.

Not a kite for wave riding down the line, yet quite nice up the line if wind is side shore. Side on or onshore not so much.

If your 5 and 9m are inflatos the speed 12m will feel very very different.
However low wind riding is fundamentally different.

For you size and 30 lbs more the 12m is your beat choice.

Regarding comparrisons with a LEI it's not as straight forward as you might expect.

With a surfboard the 12m Speed is equivalent to a 12m LEI give or take a bit.

With a less efficient twin tip (not a light wind door) the Speed will give you a bit more.

Cullen
Rare Poster

Postby Cullen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:28 pm

My other kites are a 5m Blade Trigger and a 9m Cabrinha Crossbow (Both 2011).
-Cullen

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:37 pm

FredBGG wrote:
Regarding comparrisons with a LEI it's not as straight forward as you might expect.

With a surfboard the 12m Speed is equivalent to a 12m LEI give or take a bit.

With a less efficient twin tip (not a light wind door) the Speed will give you a bit more.
FredBGG, this is a really interesting comment. I've been considering a 12m speed 3 as a low wind to use with a surfboard. I've heard lots of people comparing a 12m speed 3 with a 14-16 lei, but hadn't come across this idea of it only being better than a similarly sized LEI when using a twin tip. How does it act like a larger-than-12-meter-LEI when used with a twin-tip, but not with a surfboard. What would you call the 12m speed 3's low end with a surfboard?

Return to “Kitesurfing”