jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for bomb-proof ultra stable 8m, behaving like a

Postby jkrug » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:07 pm

how many different ways can one ask the same question: which kite is the best? it's been asked a million times, and answered 100 million times.

btw, i want one kite that flies perfectly in 5-100 knots, jumps a mile high, floats you down in a matter of hours, turns on a dime when i want it to, doesn't turn at all when i don't want it to, can survive a nuclear explosion, has both single and multi-pt inflation, is perfect for hooked and unhooked and in waves or freestyle. it's both a 6m that flies like a 20m, and a 20m that flies like a 6m. oh yeah, it also must make chicks disrobe instantly.

oh wait, nevermind, i already own that kite, it's a ....................

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:00 pm

@ jkrug: It is called asking for advices. Since I don t have the opportunity to test all the kites of the market to make comparative analysis, I need to narrow down to a couple of potential choices, by asking feedback to other fellow kiters. This is also what the forum is all about, asking for advices and sharing experiences.

It costs me a lot to understand why if you are so much bothered by this type of post you do actually read them and even more go as far as adding a post with your opinion? Masochism or trolling?

@ all the others: Many thanks for the advice.
I am very glad to find out that I am not the only one who do not like small kites behavior! It feels comforting. Some people seemed to value just the opposite, preferring extremely fast and responsive kite, and looking for big kite with characteristics of smaller ones.
:D

I hadn t identified the Naish bolt as a potential candidate, moslty for being skeptical about sigma design (that got almost completly abondonned even by Naish), and for the problem to keep the kite sitting quietly on the beach with high and gusty winds.

Still seeking...

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:44 pm

jkrug wrote:how many different ways can one ask the same question: which kite is the best? it's been asked a million times, and answered 100 million times.
Asking "what kite is best" over and over gets pretty boring, but this was a pretty specific question that I hadn't seen before.

Most ask for the fastest kite, so interesting to see what slower small kites people like.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Has thanked: 0

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:49 pm

Youtch.. I recently got a Ben Wilson 10M Noise.. I tend to prefer peaky kites: Brazilian girlfriends. By contrast, this BW is a Southern Gentleman.. very smooooth. No drama doing anything. I also like valve struts.. but even the center strut is very small, almost the size of tip struts from years back; I think the one-pump useful here.

I got it for the ocean but am happy to use it bayside. I only got one session with 20+kts but came back with a big grin because it really does boost well. It does not 'snatch' me off the water but gets surprising height. I thought it was a little slow to turn at apex, but it was the first time I used it in wind. I like it.

Jim

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:21 pm

jkrug wrote:how many different ways can one ask the same question: which kite is the best? it's been asked a million times, and answered 100 million times.

btw, i want one kite that flies perfectly in 5-100 knots, jumps a mile high, floats you down in a matter of hours, turns on a dime when i want it to, doesn't turn at all when i don't want it to, can survive a nuclear explosion, has both single and multi-pt inflation, is perfect for hooked and unhooked and in waves or freestyle. it's both a 6m that flies like a 20m, and a 20m that flies like a 6m. oh yeah, it also must make chicks disrobe instantly.

oh wait, nevermind, i already own that kite, it's a ....................
Jeff, you won't have to worry about these types of posts for the next 4 days or so! Get out there and put that "tude" to good use :thumb:

Rorke
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rorke » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Have you tried a Liquid Force Session?

Slow, well behaved, and quite tough.

Made in '08 to '10 maybe.

That era control system is weak. It can be easily modified though.

McAbe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Praia da Barra
Gear: Mixed
Been thanked: 0

Postby McAbe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Youtch wrote:
Still seeking...
Cab Switchblade 2006, seriously. :thumb:

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Re: Looking for bombproof ultrastable slow 8m behaving like

Postby TommyDuotone » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:32 pm

Take a look at the BWS 8m. Really good range, very stable and well-behaved kite. The kite will not stall, no trimming if u like to unhook. Incredible wave kite and very good at boosting as well. have the 10,8, and 6. Good luck with your search.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: Looking for bombproof ultrastable slow 8m behaving like

Postby TheJoe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Cut a control bar down to 14"-12" and use that problem solved. Hey look I just made all small kites slower! I have chopped down to both sizes and it makes a huge difference.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:16 pm

Youtch wrote:@ jkrug: It is called asking for advices. Since I don t have the opportunity to test all the kites of the market to make comparative analysis, I need to narrow down to a couple of potential choices, by asking feedback to other fellow kiters. This is also what the forum is all about, asking for advices and sharing experiences.

It costs me a lot to understand why if you are so much bothered by this type of post you do actually read them and even more go as far as adding a post with your opinion? :D

you're right...i shouldn't read them and definitely shouldn't respond. i'm just amazed at how often the same question is asked. you can phrase it anyway you want, but most of us know it always ends up being the same...my kite is the best because blah blah blah. if you find that helpful, who am i to argue? good luck with your search, though i suspect every brand name will be mentioned at least once.

Return to “Kitesurfing”