Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay area
Style: stayin' alive
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crazy Jump over bridge

Postby sfpete » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:33 pm

Yea, what an idiot!! A bunch of years ago, I saw these brothers on a beach in North Carolina. They had some ridiculous contraption that they kept pushing off a dune to try to fly it. Imagine that, someone stupid enough to think they could fly and then getting out and trying it. No lessons, no helmets, no safety gear. They did not hit even a single landing. Morons.

bsideindy
Medium Poster

Postby bsideindy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:12 pm

sfpete wrote:Yea, what an idiot!! A bunch of years ago, I saw these brothers on a beach in North Carolina. They had some ridiculous contraption that they kept pushing off a dune to try to fly it. Imagine that, someone stupid enough to think they could fly and then getting out and trying it. No lessons, no helmets, no safety gear. They did not hit even a single landing. Morons.

did you really just compare this shit-for-brains punter with the Wright brothers ???

adrianoliguori
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barra do Cunhaú
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo 9m2, Cabrinha Switchblade 12m2, Dakine Pyro Harness, Kiteloose board

Postby adrianoliguori » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SByMBqQV

at 27 sec, what's the height from the tip of the wave to the tallest part of the pier?

adrianoliguori
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barra do Cunhaú
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo 9m2, Cabrinha Switchblade 12m2, Dakine Pyro Harness, Kiteloose board

Postby adrianoliguori » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:39 pm

adrianoliguori wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SByMBqQV

at 27 sec, what's the height from the tip of the wave to the tallest part of the pier?
http://youtu.be/SByMBqQVYlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SByMBqQV ... re=related

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:36 am

bsideindy wrote:
sfpete wrote:Yea, what an idiot!! A bunch of years ago, I saw these brothers on a beach in North Carolina. They had some ridiculous contraption that they kept pushing off a dune to try to fly it. Imagine that, someone stupid enough to think they could fly and then getting out and trying it. No lessons, no helmets, no safety gear. They did not hit even a single landing. Morons.

did you really just compare this shit-for-brains punter with the Wright brothers ???
NO -- i'm NOT doing that, but :

I think there's a WAY safer way to get your Adrenaline Fix , than doing what This guy did
by jumping Over a pear !

Really -- if Ya wanna Fly then get a PG or a HG and go do some SERIOUS flying !!!

I just come down from 16,oooft ASL over this Big 10K mountain in Idaho on my Rigid HG.
Look at the altimeter and i'm still at 12K and descending at 550 ft/min.

Really -- the return for the buck is at WAY better Odds of survive, to do "That" rather
than jump a pear, if all your after is a Adrenaline Fix !!!

Normal kite-boarding is Less risk than a PG or a HG for the same time spent on the water,
when compared to flying a foot launch. Odds change when Ya jump a pear though !!
I can do some serious eating of sh*t before physically hurting myself on a kite board ;
Not so on a Hang glider or jumping a pear.

Bille
Attachments
Copy of DSC00186.JPG

aircatcher
Frequent Poster

Postby aircatcher » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 am

bsideindy wrote:

You mean something like one of these?

Now, this is skilled!!! ( unlike the guy who tried to slam his body to the pier at Tramanda's beach with a inflatable kite)
Dune flying or soaring?... :heartface: love it ! these guys are probably advanced paraglide pilots.The French are very proud about it,it's consider their national favorite sport (25,000 active registered paragliding pilots according to Wikipidia)
:thumb: it is very safe too if you know how to handle it ,i.e air behavior in that dune.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:38 am

aircatcher wrote: ...
Now, this is skilled!!! ( unlike the guy who tried to slam his body to the pier at Tramanda's beach with a inflatable kite)
I just kept watching the guy in the second one, (soaring and kitesurfing over sand dune )
Looked like he was right at home on the dune, and Real Fun to watch !!!

I wonder who made that harness spreader for him ?

Bille

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:37 am

.[/quote]

ok so he intends to jump. jumps too close to riders down wind (dangerous), is still kiting in storm conditions over powered (dangerous), and doesn't have his chicken loop hooked in properly (dangerous). Still a bad representation of a well controlled big jump.[/quote]

fair point.

how about this
[/quote]

Ok, how the heck do you get to something like this? I'm an intermediate rider, love old school stuff, i can't even go i'd say 5x lower than this monster jump.
What i know "for sure" is:
- He must be riding overpowered: ok, done
- He must be approaching a small wave as a ramp at insane speed: ok, done
- He must be sending his kite to 12 really strong: ok, almost done.

Then how is it that us humans don't even barely touch those heights??? It's obviously not a matter of gear but skill, i'm seriously wondering what can make such a mega-difference between the results i see on an average beach and THAT. Wow!

At my level, which is probably too low, i can perfectly see why i'm unable to throw even the easiest un-hooked trick, but i'm still puzzled by not finding what's missing to barely approach those "basic" hooked-in airs.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:50 pm

vannibombonato wrote:.
ok so he intends to jump. jumps too close to riders down wind (dangerous), is still kiting in storm conditions over powered (dangerous), and doesn't have his chicken loop hooked in properly (dangerous). Still a bad representation of a well controlled big jump.[/quote]

fair point.

how about this
[/quote]

Ok, how the heck do you get to something like this? I'm an intermediate rider, love old school stuff, i can't even go i'd say 5x lower than this monster jump.
What i know "for sure" is:
- He must be riding overpowered: ok, done
- He must be approaching a small wave as a ramp at insane speed: ok, done
- He must be sending his kite to 12 really strong: ok, almost done.

Then how is it that us humans don't even barely touch those heights??? It's obviously not a matter of gear but skill, i'm seriously wondering what can make such a mega-difference between the results i see on an average beach and THAT. Wow!

At my level, which is probably too low, i can perfectly see why i'm unable to throw even the easiest un-hooked trick, but i'm still puzzled by not finding what's missing to barely approach those "basic" hooked-in airs.[/quote]

yeah, that is a seriously large punt!

I have on a couple of occasions jumped to be slightly over a kite at 12 o'clock. it both surprised me and scared me. I think you need to be jumping regular over 40 ft to be considering jumping over anything. Not that I condone that kind of behaviour.

aircatcher
Frequent Poster

Postby aircatcher » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Like i said , the difference is the one who tried to slam his body to the pier did it without much understand of the air/wind behavior,he had no clue about enough buffer for space and power,this guy is very lucky to come out alive , a lot of things can go wrong without warning ( wind shift or deviated,air mass become less dense,gradient or the angle where he put the kite etc...these factors can unpredictly change at any instant ,and that's also why world class rider like Dimitry had similar accident),i called this pier slamming is a none calculated risk or lack of understand the nature of air.Few more attempts like this ,this guy will have major accident and when that happen ,all the people here think that he's skillful hero will probably say condolence to the nut ,but i'm sure they will quietly think in their mind this guy is pure stupid.

Return to “Kitesurfing”