Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Do I want a North Nugget?

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:39 am

I've got a Mako 150 that I'm going to set up as a mutant... but I gotta keep it moving fairly quickly so it gets pretty bouncy in the chop... more start'n'stop action :-/ but it was that board that got me thinking about a more 'surfy' board for just cruising around... like a Sector.

At the ocean beach, my big TT (170x50 ;) ) floats through the chop ok but trying to jump is pointless cos the water is never flat enough, and the waves are just too crappy to boost off - they only break within a few meters of the shore and are moving 3 different directions before they get there... and trying to 'surf' on that board is a bit silly.

All the reviews point to the Nugget but... it's quite small, isn't it? And I'm quite large...

Don't ALL surfboards get bouncy when the wind picks up?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:25 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Don't ALL surfboards get bouncy when the wind picks up?
Nope. Skinny slim gunny boards...more in the global range and gun type board will be easier to hold in more wind and chop :-)

Obviously it is all relative, but my gun / global to some extent is easier to ride in the heavy chop than most TT.

Short is not as critical as the width. for good light wind look for relative straight rails, fins that are more forward oriented..and with less cant. That said, it is all one symbiosis of features that can either work or not. :-)

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:03 am

Hi. First of all I agree with Tautologies. For what concerns the Nuggett (that I own), thanks to the deep biconcave hull, is very comfortable in chop and is a decent surfboard in small to medium swell too. For my weight (75 Kilos) and a medium size kite (13/15 mt.) I can go out starting from 8 Knots. It is also a good "minirace" and last but not least can be ridden strappless. Overall I'm very happy with it :thumb: . Some pics and a video at this link:

http://www.standuppaddling.it/content/view/1773/122/

I hope this helps
:bye:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:00 am

Ah, I see TT, thanks...

It was one of your videos, haiku, that got me thinking ;)

I can turn heel-to-toe - one direction only though :lol:

Discovered today that my Door is actually cracked - where the flex tips are thinned from the thicker 'body' :( may force me to choose either between another door or a Nugget-type thing...

Now I'm trying to find prices. I'm getting SICK TO f**king DEATH of U.S. stores telling me "Oh it's just too expensive" to ship to Japan without even giving me a price. Son, I don't care if you don't want to spend $200 on shipping but I just might - and have before. /rant

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:58 pm

fernmanus wrote:You should consider a Ocean Rodeo Mako. Fits the bill for what you want and you don't have to learn to jibe.

Mum I have found the mako really smooth in the chop. A SB would bounce all over the place in my mind. I ride TT, sectors and surfboards and have been on the nugget. I reckon if you have not got decent surf and it is choppy then a SB would be a bloody waste of time. Think the nugget wouldn't be much better, but better.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Kamikuza wrote: Now I'm trying to find prices. I'm getting SICK TO f**king DEATH of U.S. stores telling me "Oh it's just too expensive" to ship to Japan without even giving me a price. Son, I don't care if you don't want to spend $200 on shipping but I just might - and have before. /rant
I know what you mean. To their defense though, shipping surfboards is a high risk venture IMO.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:41 pm

What size Mako? The 150 bounces then sinks - required a lot of kite work...
tautologies wrote:I know what you mean. To their defense though, shipping surfboards is a high risk venture IMO.
Because of damages?
First time I've asked anyone about a board though...

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Billy B. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:26 pm

The North Nugget is the best free riding directional kitesurfboard ever.....

Unless you have ridden one you have no idea how good it is... All other surfboards ride like surfboards, the Nugget rides like a dream behind the kite, in chop, in lake swell, in small and even overhead waves... It doesnt ride like any of the other boards mentioned ride, it rides totally different and needs to be ridden to be understood... light wind , heavy wind, little chop , lot of chop, what ever the nugget doesnt care. Unless you are a pro in bigger surf the is no need for any other surfboard for kiting. Plus it adds power in lighter winds..

4Meter to 19m winds the nugget rules!

The real question is do you deserve a nugget????

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:15 am

I've been trying to be a good boy... but only Santa knows for sure! :naughty:

Precipitous timing though... discovered last night that my Door has a big ol' crack in it. So I don't get to have my cake (keep the door) and eat it too (buy a Nugget)... for the sake of the budget, I'm going to have to choose between the two :(

Got word from my reliable U.S. store - $999 shipped to Japan for a 2013... when they arrive. Hmm............

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:55 am

I find the Mako has way too much rocker to be usable in light wind. Even in heavy wind I find that I have to be really powered to stay upwind on it (once powered upwind is no problem though).

Biggest problem with the Nugget is finding one to buy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”