Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby BWD » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:20 pm

:thumb:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:54 am

Very nice...the wind it looks light. It looks like 2-4 mph to me. LOL.

Anyways. That should silence any questions about launch and relaunch in lightwind???

turfAndsurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Diego

Postby turfAndsurf » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:54 pm

tautologies wrote:Anyone tried their kite going down the line? I am really curious to try it in more wind and waves. Today we had huge surf, but not enough wind for the 8..
Well I finally got to try the 13 Cloud on a solid 15 mph winds gusting up to 18, the waves were only 2-3 ft. and I was a 6' ft surfboard but I had a great time with the 13. It really turned fast, definitely faster than my 14, probably as fast as my 12. I did not feel overpower with it, I weight 182 bl. Going the line was great, it drifted real nice and it responded well when I needed it, overall I had a great time with it.

agio
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Favorite Beaches: 25+ knots beach
Style: freeride,kiteloop,foil
Gear: Main Kites:
2018 - NOW : Fone Bandits
2011 - 2018: North Evos
2013 - 2015: North Rebel
2010 - 2012: North Fuse
2006 - 2009: Globerider Sonic
2005 - 2009: North Rhinos
2003 - 2005: takoon waroo
2001 - 2002: naish R3
Main Boards:
2010 - NOW: Fone Trax
2003 - 2009: Brunotti Skidzo
2001-2002: AHD
Been thanked: 0

Postby agio » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:30 pm

you all made me so horny about that kite, that I have to order one!

my weight: 160 lbs / 73 kg
board: fone trax V 134*39

All the reviews don´t help that much, since most of them are talking about riding with directionals and or big bidis and there are no comparisons to kites i know.

Any Opinion which wind range (avg wind +/- 2 knots in gusts an lulls) I will cover riding with each of these 2 sizes?

I had a ride on the new dyno 15, and the turning was super delayed and slow. How feels the cloud 17 in comparison? No matter how the lowend is, I would rather buy a 14 evo or fuse if turning is similar to the dyno 15.

Can someone compare the wind range and the turning speed of the 13 cloud to any North kite? (Evo/Fuse/Rebel 12 or 14) This would be a real help to figure out if the 13 is enough for me and more fun on the top.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:22 am

For all German speaking folks there is long thread which I started here: http://forum.oase.com/showthread.php?t=133962

It is predominantly about the 17m Cloud and some guys wrote about the 10m as well. Everbody including me would say that it is the fastest turning 17m kite available. Turning speed somewhere between a 12 and 14m kite. It turns faster than my 14m Naish Helix 2010.

I am the same weight as you but only used it with a North Nugget. Wind range for me is about 6-13 knots with that board. I really use it as my low, low wind option.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:00 am

Dirk wrote:For all German speaking folks there is long thread which I started here: http://forum.oase.com/showthread.php?t=133962

It is predominantly about the 17m Cloud and some guys wrote about the 10m as well. Everbody including me would say that it is the fastest turning 17m kite available. Turning speed somewhere between a 12 and 14m kite. It turns faster than my 14m Naish Helix 2010.

I am the same weight as you but only used it with a North Nugget. Wind range for me is about 6-13 knots with that board. I really use it as my low, low wind option.
Thanks for the link Dirk. I don't read German but the Google translation was enough to get the gist of what was written.

Someone mentioned that the kite was so light that it tended to blow away if self-launching with the spin technique. I have put a board on the kite in such a way that as I turned the kite, it slid out from under the board. There is also a trick of having a pile of sand or a sandbag at the right point behind the leading edge so that the kite turns around that point, so maybe a combination of those two things would solve that?
http://www.thekitehouse.com/gallery2/di ... =29&pos=57

Here is a video I haven't seen before of the 17m Cloud from that forum.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:20 am

Here is the link with Google translation

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... 6bih%3D682

Beachboy
Frequent Poster

Postby Beachboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Naish experimented with a strutless kite 10 years ago. It had a small diameter inflatable leading edge and the canopy was a self inflating twinskin foil . Very much like a like a Peter Lynn Arc. It flew on four lines. I saw Don Montague fly it at Kailua. I was very excited about this hybrid design, but never heard more of it. The PL Arc was probably one of the most under rated kites ever. Can anybody fill in the blanks?

Pogibro
Medium Poster

Postby Pogibro » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:22 am

I'm curious about light wind performance. Can anyone compare it to the previous champ, the Speed 3 21 meter?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:15 am

ronnie wrote:
Someone mentioned that the kite was so light that it tended to blow away if self-launching with the spin technique. I have put a board on the kite in such a way that as I turned the kite, it slid out from under the board.
I've self launched the 8 quite a few times now. No problem. I will leave my harness on the LE until I am ready, than put my harness on, but I barely turn the kite. I just make sure the lines are organized..ie the back line I am going to pull is under the kite, and the backline I am not is behind it. then just inch the kite..it will turn fast, and launch properly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”