el_guestos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby el_guestos » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:20 am

Brilliant to see you guys changing the rules...keep it up!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 am

Not being facetious, but I'm wondering what the objective is?

I can see that it could be cheaper to make and easier to pump up or repair.

Are there any performance targets? I'm thinking that its lightweight and therefore has advantages in very light wind but its not easy enough to relaunch, which would be a big disadvantage in a light wind kite?

What are the selling points going to be?

boardriding maui
Rare Poster
Local Beach: kitebeach, maui
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere were the riders are smiling
Style: Lawn mowing
Gear: boardriding maui
Brand Affiliation: owner, in development of brand launching next year

Postby boardriding maui » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:36 am

- el_guestos: Thank you very much.

- Ronnie: Thanks for asking. Before commenting, I'll admit that I googled facetious. Got this:

fa·ce·tious/fəˈsēSHəs/
Adjective:
Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
Synonyms:
jocose - humorous - jocular - waggish - comic - funny

Not sure anything here qualifies as a "serious issue", otherwise, its all good. 8-)

In response to your questions: Yes, easier to repair is a good thing. "Less prone to fail" was more on my mind as one of my primary objectives.

Performance targets: Fast, range, drift, overall handling for how I like to ride. To keep it real, I was reminded today that its not immediately for everyone. The trim throw is short to keep depower within reach. For riders not accustomed to riding like this, it can be tough to adjust to.

Relaunch has been excellent. Probably even more so in light wind. Two days ago I watched two very experienced riders drift down the coast unable to relaunch in super light wind. While I wasn't out there beside them at the same time, all related experiences (some on the same day) are that the lighter the kite is, the easier it is to relaunch. When I've given other riders (on other kites) a launch on the beach lately, I'm blown away by the effort to even position the kite on its side. Its a very different experience. I think its a rigidity thing too. I don't expect readers to take my word for this. I will work on shooting some more video to illustrate. I didn't include it in earlier videos because I didn't think viewers would find it interesting. But, maybe some quick, 20 second clips won't put everyone to sleep.

Speaking of videos, in followup to the substantial response to the last kite video, a couple days ago I did re-post that video with some voiceover comments. This isn't too informative, but may touch on some of your performance questions. I've been too busy with the gear side, but should take a break to get the GoPro back out to keep sharing the latest.

As for your question on selling points, I dunno. I'm just doing my best to develop stuff I believe in, and hope it sells itself. Guess I'll see how that goes.

Thanks again for your interest.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks for the answers.

Your kite also looks like it could survive waves well and clear water off it that would normally bog down kites by being trapped beside the struts.

I'm very interested in a kite that gets to the lightest possible relaunch wind. At the moment I'm thinking of about 7 or 8 knots although I have seen claims of less for LEI's.

I find when I'm standing in the water, the bottom end for relaunching my 13Xbow is the same wind as when it will sit overhead without working the kite.
I suspect a kite should lift off in the lightest winds if you can get it directly downwind and keep it at the optimum angle of attack as it goes straight up through the window, but it may be that your kite will be best on its side going up off the water from directly downwind? ie. pressure lift instead of airflow lift.

The problem I see with the likes of raceboards is that they can do 2.5 times the windspeed, so 20 knots in 8 knots of wind, so you dont want a board leash on that. However if you are well offshore and drop the kite and find you cant launch it, by that time you are away from the board and being towed downwind maybe getting further from the board. I would prefer to be able to get to the board and if necessary pack down and paddle in on it, so the lower the relaunch wind, the more chance of being able to get back to the board while attached to a downed kite, whether by swimming or relaunching.

I reckon your philosophy is good - design what you want in a kite. Things designed by committees are often a lot worse than a design by an individual.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:02 pm

send me a kite. I'll test it in real world conditions. ( not steady 84 f tropical winds). but radical 55degree north conditions.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:34 pm

i love the idea that Maui is some kind of smooth easy wind paradise, its flat out harsh strong gusty it sure as hell isn't constant.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:13 am

Finally a kite with the graphical design I really like - thanks for that !!! Please do me a favor and keep it at that.

G

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:20 am

agreed but don't just do white, a lot of our european beaches are muddy sand so it will lok mucky quickly.

Like to see it in waves, looks light and quick, so am presuming works well.

Mike

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi,

It was asked before, but not answered. What is the board in the picture/video ?

boardriding maui
Rare Poster
Local Beach: kitebeach, maui
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere were the riders are smiling
Style: Lawn mowing
Gear: boardriding maui
Brand Affiliation: owner, in development of brand launching next year

Postby boardriding maui » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:37 pm

Ronnie - In regards to your comment "Things designed by committees..." From your insight, I'll bet you've got some experience. Thanks for your support!

TomW - I've only been to Sweden once. It was super rad. I'll come ride with you!

James - Really, its not smooth wind paradise? (Joking - unfortunately, you're right.)

Knyfe - Yup. All white is the plan. Has been nicknamed, "cloud".

Mike - I understand. Will offer color options in a year or two when I'm able to expand just a little (no interest in growing too big though).

Direnc - Thanks for asking. Sorry I didn't answer. I don't want to spam this site with too many of my comments. I imagine the board your referring to is something I call, a "paipo". Inspired by the first fin-less, rocker-less surfboards, this is a modern interpretation. Some are referring to this an alaia, but, due to a little shorter length I opted for paipo, kinda that same thing but were more the the bellyboards of its day. Semantics aside, the board pictured has fins and a modified surfboard rocker. Modified because of the flex component unique to its design (made same as a snowboard, not a surfboard).

Return to “Kitesurfing”